8 Posts

Conan» Forums » General

Subject: 6+ players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron Ferris
England
flag msg tools
Has anyone created or played any missions with 6, or more, players? I know there are only 50 gems for the heroes to share but it could be a component of play for them to divide the resources further.

I'm just looking for any campaigns or rules for expanding the player count.

many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not, but my first instinct would be to turn the Overlord player into a "two headed monster." Each Overlord player could control the action movement and fighting choices of different overlord figures. They would have to come to a mutual decision on other expenditures (to remove a tile from the Book of Skelos altogether, for example). This has worked pretty well with games like Last Night on Earth. Sometimes it's fun for the evil player to have a buddy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The problem with more players is not that one will run out of gems to provide for those players - these can be easily substituted with cubes from other games for example - but that the math will burst through the roof. For example, there is only so and so many damage 3-4 heroes can inflict on the OL's minions and bosses each turn, which in return the OL can mitigate with his or her own gems until they run out of gems. So you have to think about how many additional gems the OL should get in order to even things out between OL and heroes. But if the OL has additional gems, how will that affect the River and tile activation?

However, as an experiment, it sounds interesting. If that's what you and your players like, just do it. I would even go as far as to bring some "bad" heroes along, all with their own hero boards, gems, and controlling players, just as a counterweight to the numbers of "good" heroes. These baddies would get their turns during the OL phase, have to manage active and cautious turns, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can always approach it hierarchically.
every group played by a char with command ability gets assigned to a new player (or one player for all allies).
The player has to do what the commanding hero says.

of course you can also add some house rules.
assign a loyalty value by using the dice. better dice for higher loyalty and on an axe you do what the boss says otherwise you decide yourself (within the constraint that you are still playing for the same side)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Derphausen wrote:
I would even go as far as to bring some "bad" heroes along, all with their own hero boards, gems, and controlling players, just as a counterweight to the numbers of "good" heroes. These baddies would get their turns during the OL phase, have to manage active and cautious turns, etc.

That seems like a really intriguing idea and one I may have to ponder over some more for my games. Would make a great 'Boss'-type encounter for custom scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe put all of the Hero gems in a big pile and have the collective group take from that? So instead of each hero having X, you can group them all up into one.

It'll really get intense when someone who's used a bunch of crystals decides not to rest and ends up holding other people back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
I have not, but my first instinct would be to turn the Overlord player into a "two headed monster." Each Overlord player could control the action movement and fighting choices of different overlord figures. They would have to come to a mutual decision on other expenditures (to remove a tile from the Book of Skelos altogether, for example). This has worked pretty well with games like Last Night on Earth. Sometimes it's fun for the evil player to have a buddy.

Or you could run it as though it were two 3-player games run concurrently on the same map. Balance the enemy count as though it was a 5-player (4 hero) game. Then have two Overlords, each owning half of the enemy models and their own "Book of Skelos" (or a reasonable facsimile thereof), but with gems and refresh based on a 3-player (2 hero) game. The Overlords would then perform their activations as a team, similar to the hero players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Ferris
England
flag msg tools
Derphausen wrote:
I would even go as far as to bring some "bad" heroes along, all with their own hero boards, gems, and controlling players, just as a counterweight to the numbers of "good" heroes. These baddies would get their turns during the OL phase, have to manage active and cautious turns, etc.

I tried this last night in two different sessions, there were 6 players total; 1 overlord, 1 'sentient boss' figure, 4 heroes.

First time (the scenario was 'For all of Ophirs gold', anti hero was Thak equipped with the lance) giving them equal gems to the scenario hit-points (8 instead of it's recommended 14) - didn't work. Thak and the party wizard fought and killed each other and the overlord was left to fend the recomended mission party minus the Deus Ex gorilla man...

second time I played In the 'clutches of the picts' anti hero was Zogar Sag with his recommended gem count and again; armed with the lance. I needed to defend him on a few accusations with gems from my book of skelos but the mission played out much better.

My verdict would be to use the 'sentient bosses' with their recommended gem count and an appropriate weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.