4 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Buffing Investigator Stats with Exp or otherwise rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Amir
msg tools
Hey everyone!

So I'm pretty new to the forum but I've been lurking for a long while. I got the tabletop simulator with arkham horror LCG mod (thanks creator for taking the time to make this!) and played the first scenario a few times now. I am waiting for my 2 core sets to arrive to play the other scenario's (can't wait, the game is so damn good).

However I have been toying with this idea to make the game even more of an RPG.

XP
Let's say you can spend 2 or 3 experience points after a scenario to buff one of your stats (limit 1 statpoint buff per scenario, so you can't buff combat by 2 if you earn 4 or 6 experience from a single scenario). I think this could make a fun rule in addition to having to choose between getting an upgrade for your deck or a hard upgrade for your investigator. This way you can tweak your character even more, especially when playing in a group.
This stat buffing only applies to stats for skill tests so no Health/horror/item slot upgrading. Ofcourse this would require a lot of testing so you don't automatically upgrade a stat at the end of each scenario. Perhaps 4 XP per stat point...

As I thought that out....I got to thinking about the game design and that the developers already have an idea how to properly integrate this using scenario assets. Let's say you're in a mission and you can draw a special encounter deck card which is basically some kind of skill master. A character that can buff one of your stats (per investigator) when you get out of that mission alive (through "winning" or resigning).

sub-goals
Another thing which I would find interesting is that there could be sub-goals in a scenario, like saving a police officer from a monster at a location or saving a museum worker from a curse so you can get a combat / intellect stat point at the end of the scenario (if you find the time to save them and manage to stay alive).

achievements
The last thing I had in mind for perhaps buffing stats would be other kinds of sub-goals or achievements in scenario's. Like if you get every clue from every location you get +1 intellect on your character sheet. Likewise if you kill every monster in the scenario of beat a certain amount of monsters you will get +1 combat on your character sheet.

I am really curious as to what you guys think about this.

Maybe this will negate the upgrade effect of switching out cards. I don't know. I do think it would make the game even richer than it already is and emphasise more on campaign play and character growth in its own way. New toys (cards) or stronger investigator (stat points)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very possible that they already intend to do something like this. With the permanent keyword, and the introduction to permanent cards in the first mythos pack, it's well within design space to give permanent cards with stat boosts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the permanent cards let them do that easily enough. I imagine a raw stat boost would be quite expensive though, such as 5 xp for +1, or maybe even one of those exceptional cards which cost double xp. Starting with a +1 to a stat is a lot better than many of the actual cards as you don't need to draw it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
Yeah, the permanent cards let them do that easily enough. I imagine a raw stat boost would be quite expensive though, such as 5 xp for +1, or maybe even one of those exceptional cards which cost double xp. Starting with a +1 to a stat is a lot better than many of the actual cards as you don't need to draw it.

Don't need to draw it, don't need to play it, doesn't take up an inventory slot, doesn't take up deck slots...

A +1 stat boost is effectively a card that reads as follows (ignoring the Permanent keyword, since the point of this is to show just how much is built into the "permanent" element:

Quote:
Asset
0 cost

Talent

Fast

+1 [skill]

When you play this card, draw a card.

This card does not count towards your decksize.

Except you also get to ensure it's in your opening hand AND work mulligans around it!

Basically, the "Permanent" keyword is pretty amazing in a card that is useful actually during a game. As for a stat boost that doesn't take a slot, and the level 0 equivalent are the Talents which cost 2, don't have Fast/self-replacement, and cost a resource to get a boost of 1 per skill check (although have the advantages of working on two stats, and allowing an arbitrary amount of boosting depending on how much you'll spend).

I think it could be a fun thing to add in (and one I'd quite like to see FFG implement via cards with the Permanent keyword) but it'll cost a lot of XP. 4 or 5, definitely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.