Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Of Dividers and Guillotines rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
"I run to breathe the fresh air. I run to explore. I run…to savour the trip along the way."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there
I’d like to make some strong card dividers for the LotR card game (and the Arkham Horror one when it comes out) but I’ve had various shades of failure in the past whenever I’ve tried to do this.

I’ve tried printing out the fabulous designs in the files section on thin card but of course they get warped and bent and cutting them out is a real chore.

I’ve tried using the plastic shop bought dividers, printed the artwork from the files and stuck it on each individual divider which actually worked quite well but even the plastic dividers tend to warp if they aren’t squashed in the middle of a row of cards. I don’t sleeve my cards and the storage boxes I have just bought do not fit the plastic dividers, I guess I could buy a small guillotine cutter and shave them all down but that feels like it would dull the cutter pretty quick?

I’m now thinking of printing out the dividers on thin card, laminating and again getting a guillotine cutter to separate them all. So my question is, sorry it took so long, will this method produce strong enough dividers that don’t warp (I suspect not) and would anyone be able to recommend a guillotine cutter that could handle cutting the lamination or plastic dividers, if I go that route, without blunting?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Johnson
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For making dividers, I like to use thin foam board. The 1/8 inch (3mm) thickness is quite sturdy but won't take up much room. It's also very easy to cut with a sharp blade and metal ruler. I've never had them warp and you won't have to worry about laminating them.

The following Amazon item is what I have in mind, but I haven't ordered it online so I cannot vouch for this particular seller.

https://www.amazon.com/Mat-Board-Center-Backing-Boards/dp/B0...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
"I run to breathe the fresh air. I run to explore. I run…to savour the trip along the way."
mbmbmbmbmb
Foam Core! I use that all the time to build inserts yet never thought to use it as divider material! Thanks for that, definitely food for thought, I'll try a mockup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
When you say "warped", how does that happen? What kind of warping?

Does the card simply get bent when it goes through your printer? If so, you may have better luck printing on labels and sticking to card.

If you're already doing that but only sticking labels on one side, that can cause warping over time - and you're best off sticking the same label material to both sides to balance out.

Does the card just get deformed during use? If so, try thicker card. Some of the best I've found for things like dividers is Ryman's own-brand 480gsm Art Card, which I use for all kinds of PnP stuff.

Does the card get bent when you cut it with your guillotine? That can be a problem, particularly with thicker cards, and I certainly wouldn't expect to get good results cutting lamination with a guillotine. To that, I'd simply recommend not using a guillotine at all. I find that I get far better results using a rotary cutter, although they can take some getting used to. With a self-healing cutting mat, a rotary cutter and a steel ruler with some kind of non-slip base, you can cut through more or less anything made of card of plastic given enough time and care - definitely including laminated card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my printer can’t handle thick card. I’ve tried printing on label papers a couple of times using my inkjet but so far I haven’t found the right stuff as it seems to soak it too much and it bleeds.

Even if I found the right label paper however there’s the issue of cutting thick card - thanks for the warning about using a guillotine for that, no point in me buying one then.

I watched your video on rotary cutters and they do indeed seem to be better than a knife and I like the idea both for card and for foam core but I am a bit clumsy so scared of losing my fingers! Would this type of ruler be usable with a rotary knife, only it seems a bit safer?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Helix-30cm-Metal-Safety-T33010/dp/B...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmb
Unless you're printing dividers all the time its fairly cheap to have them printed out on heavy card stock at your local Officemax/Staples (Edit: or equivalent office supply store). I did that for Marvel Legendary and the results were great. I got around the curling/damage problem by laminating them myself -- getting that done for you is highway robbery.

I've also had reasonable success printing dividers at home (typewriter font labels, put on a faint yellow index cards for Eldritch Horror) and then laminating them ... maybe the secret is lamination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was looking for card dividers for my Dominion storage, I found a company that makes custom-cut plastic card dividers. They don't charge extra for custom work, and have really reasonable prices and shipping costs. The only downside is that you have to buy them in cases of 100 (ends up being around $5-6 or so for 100). Info is at https://www.squaredealonline.com/a.asp?s=A+p.

Once I got those, I printed out labels that were made to fit Avery label paper, and then you just peel and stick. Turned out fantastically. Here's how it looks:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bgg_Lurker wrote:
Unless you're printing dividers all the time its fairly cheap to have them printed out on heavy card stock at your local Officemax/Staples (Edit: or equivalent office supply store). I did that for Marvel Legendary and the results were great. I got around the curling/damage problem by laminating them myself -- getting that done for you is highway robbery.

I've also had reasonable success printing dividers at home (typewriter font labels, put on a faint yellow index cards for Eldritch Horror) and then laminating them ... maybe the secret is lamination.

Thanks, I fear services like that may not exist in the UK or if they do they'll be a lot more expensive than the States but I'll take a look. Anyone in the UK done similar?

When you laminated at home what did you use to cut the lamination flush to the card divider? Does the cut edge peel over time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flaquito wrote:
When I was looking for card dividers for my Dominion storage, I found a company that makes custom-cut plastic card dividers. They don't charge extra for custom work, and have really reasonable prices and shipping costs. The only downside is that you have to buy them in cases of 100 (ends up being around $5-6 or so for 100). Info is at https://www.squaredealonline.com/a.asp?s=A+p.

Once I got those, I printed out labels that were made to fit Avery label paper, and then you just peel and stick. Turned out fantastically. Here's how it looks:

Nice job!
I have used Ultimate Guard plastic dividers before:
https://www.chaoscards.co.uk/accessories-c1/card-storage-box...

but even though they are rigid polypropylene they warped like crazy if they were at the ends of the rows. They've made me a bit wary of plastic now especially if I'm spending money on custom ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmb
TracyB wrote:

Thanks, I fear services like that may not exist in the UK or if they do they'll be a lot more expensive than the States but I'll take a look. Anyone in the UK done similar?

When you laminated at home what did you use to cut the lamination flush to the card divider? Does the cut edge peel over time?

I used a metal ruler and a Stanley (replaceable trapezoid) blade knife. The cuts may not be completely flush but laminate is clear and even staring at it a fraction of a millimeter isn't going to bother me. What may bother you is that you get better results if you cut out the dividers->laminate->cut out of laminate.

The only edge peel that I've ever had was one of my Takenoko player boards, but I cut it FLUSH (perhaps getting a bit of the board too) and those boards are by far the thickest thing I've ever laminated. 110 pound card stock is significantly more forgiving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TracyB wrote:

but even though they are rigid polypropylene they warped like crazy if they were at the ends of the rows. They've made me a bit wary of plastic now especially if I'm spending money on custom ones.

I haven't had any warping issues with the High Impact Polystyrene that mine are made out of. I assume they're pretty robust, since they're what get used to separate CDs and albums in stores.

I didn't initially notice that you're in the UK, though, so I don't know either how bad shipping would be, or where you could find a similar thing over there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david mackay
United Kingdom
WARWICK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For cutting this is my weapon of choice:
http://www.proopsbrothers.com/dafa-slide-cutter-with-cutting...
Very accurate cutting is possible, much more accurate than a rotary cutter I would have thought, which is really intended for cutting through layers of fabric; my wife has one for that purpose. Another advantage is that the blade-holder can be removed and the straight edge used as a safety-rule, for parting-off counters for example or final cutting on board thicker than 1.5mm or thereabouts (for which purpose I use an Olfa knife. Accept no substitute.

This is mine (with my mount-cutter in the background).

Do not just take my word for it; if I may quote the comment of Robert McConnell (voyager2lcats) on my gallery image above:
Quote:
This is the way to go: line up your counters and cut til the cows come home! Blade gets dull? Swap it with the spare/next one. Razor knives are nice, but it is easy to make mistakes if you don't have a steady hand. I work with graphics on a regular basis and I have all manner of cutting devices. Don't fool around with X-acto knives and the like- you will fatigue yourself and the counters and maps will suffer.

(Disclaimer) I have made this recommendation a number of times on this site but have absolutely no connection with the manufacturers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
TracyB wrote:

Would this type of ruler be usable with a rotary knife, only it seems a bit safer?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Helix-30cm-Metal-Safety-T33010/dp/B...

It helpfully only describes the material as "metal", but to my eye that ruler looks like it's probably made of aluminium. If that's the case then it'll be fine for the first hundred or so cuts, but the more you use it with a steel blade, the more you'll wear away the aluminium edge - because you're more likely to cut near the middle than the ends, sooner or later your aluminium 'straight edge' will be a gentle curve!

You can get some aluminium rulers with a steel cutting edge, and some of those have a safety guard for your fingers. I've seen this kind of thing in shops, but unfortunately not online in the UK:

http://www.signsdirect.com/Home/Rulers-Straight-Edges-T-Squa...

The compromise answer is something like this, which is safer for your fingers but doesn't have a grippy underside so you need to be more careful to hold it firmly so it doesn't move!

https://www.shopinc.co.uk/30cm-safety-metal-ruler/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deemac wrote:
(Disclaimer) I have made this recommendation a number of times on this site but have absolutely no connection with the manufacturers.

I feel the same way every time I suggest the company that made my card dividers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
deemac wrote:
Very accurate cutting is possible, much more accurate than a rotary cutter I would have thought, which is really intended for cutting through layers of fabric; my wife has one for that purpose.

FWIW: I have or have used very similar devices to both of these as well, and also a rotary cutter mounted on a similar carriage, and I barely use any of them compared to the hand-held rotary cutter for a couple of reasons:

Firstly, the rotary cutter is generally more accurate. I can run it right up against the steel edge, whereas the blade on these things (the slide cutter or the mount cutter) sits a little way away from the edge of the ruler, making it not so easy to line up the cut in the first place. There's also often a fair bit of play - up to a millimetre or so - between the plastic carriage and the aluminium profile it runs on. Admittedly this accuracy difference isn't massive, and it'll be fine either way for things like dividers - but for counters or cards it can make a huge difference.

Secondly, the angled blade on these will always be half-slicing, half-dragging through the material it's cutting... and the more your blade drags through the cut, the more likely it is to tear labels or laminate stuck to the surface while it cuts or make a mess of the edge. The rotary cutter is constantly pressing only downwards into the cutting mat so it's always only slicing, which produces a much cleaner cut for longer into the blade's lifetime - and will pretty much never tear labels or laminate off the cut surface! This is also why fabrics people like them, but it's definitely not the case that fabrics are all rotary cutters are good for.
(The slide cutter you recommend is definitely better than a mount cutter in this regard as the blade edge is at a lower angle to the cutting surface, but it'll still have problems sooner than a rotary cutter.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I'm ordering the dafa slide cutter to replace an old inferior model I already own for paper and light card cutting - thanks David.

As for the dividers I'm thinking 3mm foamcore or heavy card and I'd like to try both so:

Jake, what is the heaviest card stock you would use with this tool?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000BNLLHW/ref=ox_sc_act...

Edit: hmm, perhaps a 60mm would be more appropriate?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BMLGOXI/ref=pd_bxgy_6...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david mackay
United Kingdom
WARWICK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
OK, I'm ordering the dafa slide cutter to replace an old inferior model I already own for paper and light card cutting -

Order a spare set of blades at the same time: one pack should last years.
They are a standard snap-off type and infinitely cheaper than X-Acto blades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
TracyB wrote:

Jake, what is the heaviest card stock you would use with this tool?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000BNLLHW/ref=ox_sc_act...

Edit: hmm, perhaps a 60mm would be more appropriate?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BMLGOXI/ref=pd_bxgy_6...

I have the 45mm model there, and I have yet to meet a cardstock too heavy for it. It certainly deals fine with 2mm-thick greyboard, which is the heaviest I use on a regular basis.

The key is to make several light passes along a ruler - if you try and force it all the way through at once, it's very easy to slip and mess up your line. And/or your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jake, I'll be ordering the 45mm model, 2mm craft card and 3mm foam core later, plus maybe some Avery sticker paper.

Thanks everyone for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that slide cutter you recommended is amazing, it is slicing through laminated card stock with ease! Thank you so much for sharing!
I'm looking forward to trying the rotary cutter on foam board but so far the DAFA is my new favourite tool!

deemac wrote:
Very accurate cutting is possible, much more accurate than a rotary cutter I would have thought, which is really intended for cutting through layers of fabric; my wife has one for that purpose. Another advantage is that the blade-holder can be removed and the straight edge used as a safety-rule, for parting-off counters for example or final cutting on board thicker than 1.5mm or thereabouts (for which purpose I use an Olfa knife. Accept no substitute.

This is mine (with my mount-cutter in the background).

Do not just take my word for it; if I may quote the comment of Robert McConnell (voyager2lcats) on my gallery image above:
Quote:
This is the way to go: line up your counters and cut til the cows come home! Blade gets dull? Swap it with the spare/next one. Razor knives are nice, but it is easy to make mistakes if you don't have a steady hand. I work with graphics on a regular basis and I have all manner of cutting devices. Don't fool around with X-acto knives and the like- you will fatigue yourself and the counters and maps will suffer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sir benji
Canada
flag msg tools
Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but do you remember what size and gauge you used?

flaquito wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.