Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in regional Australia. Near the east coast. I received my copy today, including Evolution: Flight and Evolution: Promo Pack III. So all present and correct. Packaging was excellent and no damage in transit.thumbsup

I have not played yet, but have had a good look at the product. I love the name generator. Especially the not quite serious one. Ninja Chompa indeeed!

In general it is gorgeous, but I do have one complaint. Especially in light of the recent thread on colour blindness and game design.

I am red-green colour blind. According to the rule book, the population markers are green, and the body size indicators are brown. The only problem is for the life of me, I cannot tell them apart. Now I know it doesn't really matter which I use. It just needs to go in the right spot, but please please please, next time choose colours that are tonally distinct as well as colour different. Given the the colour scheme of the watering hole, purple and orange would be a good choice. though I will probably see the purple as blue, as I do with TtR Nordic. it will depend on the exact purple chosen. Even a light green and dark brown would help if you wanted to keep the colours for thematic reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In the original version, all cubes were just one colour and plant tokens were a bit hard to distinguish off the watering hole’s background.

So don’t worry, you shouldn’t have more difficulty with this version than all players with the previous one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:
In the original version, all cubes were just one colour and plant tokens were a bit hard to distinguish off the watering hole’s background.

So don’t worry, you shouldn’t have more difficulty with this version than all players with the previous one

As they are effectively for me in the new game. Sigh. I realise it doesn't really matter, but if they are going to go to the trouble of making them different colours, they could at lest make them tonally different as well.

Just something for Dom to consider when he designs Evolution: Rise of the Androids. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
What does "tonally different" mean? I think I might be tone deaf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
How bright, dull, or dark a color is. Say neon green vs forest green vs Irish green
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
What does "tonally different" mean? I think I might be tone deaf.

http://meeplelikeus.co.uk/list-of-reviews/

Feel free to look through these. They provide really good photo examples of certain color blindnesses and why certain colors that may seem to be very different, blend together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
How bright, dull, or dark a color is. Say neon green vs forest green vs Irish green

Exactly.
Or Milk Chocolate Vs Dark.

Complementary pairs are generally thought to be opposites on the pigment colour wheel.
Red <-> Green
Blue <-> Orange
Purple <-> Yellow

In most charts: Of the three, the first is tonally close, but the other two are tonally quite distinct. If you dial the colour saturation down to zero, Red/Green become pretty much the same. The other two pairs shift towards black and white respectively.

In practise, this means I do not notice red flowers on a bush unless I walk right up to them and have them pointed out. And I have been known to drive through red lights and stop at green. That was a VERY unfortunate design choice back in the day. Yes they are positionally different, but if I miss the change (e.g. coming over a crest) and am a bit distracted, it can be disastrous. Luckily so far it has only been inconvenient for my wallet. When it is busy there are other cues like the state of the other vehicles.

Getting back to these cubes, for me they all look pretty much identical unless I look very closely under a bright light. In practice I will probably swap some cubes out of another game to make things easier for me. Trains has some that will probably fit. I probably would not have commented about it had it not been for that other thread upping my awareness of the issue in games. And struggling with Dreamwell the other week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
We normally accompany any play color with a player icon to make sure colored blind people can distinguish the difference. But it didn't occurred to me to give it thought when we changed half the cubes from brown to green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
We normally accompany any play color with a player icon to make sure colored blind people can distinguish the difference. But it didn't occurred to me to give it thought when we changed half the cubes from brown to green.

No worries Dominic. It is a pretty small deal anyway. I probably only noticed because the topic was under discussion elsewhere on BGG. If it bugs me while I am playing - still not happened - then I will just sub in some cubes from elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:
Just something for Dom to consider when he designs Evolution: Rise of the Androids. shake

BTW, we're working on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Minnis
England
flag msg tools
I have the 2nd edition from the last Kickstarter where the cubes were all the same colour. This worked well, but I can see why they changed the colours to make it easier to distinguish population from body size across the table.

As someone who is also red/green colourblind I don't think that this will make much, if any, difference to our enjoyment of the game but it is a good point to raise and hopefully will make North Star aware of this for future designs where colour may be used in a more critical way. Telling the red and green card borders apart in Evolution sometimes takes a second look as the colours are blended from light to slightly darker, but as they are an aide-memoire rather than having a game effect it makes no difference.

Something else to be aware of for game components is the regularity of the colouring in components. I have terrible problems when playing Village due to the irregular colouring of the orange and green cubes. Some are light green, some are dark and the same for the orange. This may be down to the wood used or the colouring process, but it's a right pain when I go to use the wrong cube or base my strategy on thinking I have more of one colour than I actually have. Although orange and green is not the easiest for red/green colour blind people to distinguish, I can do it with uniformly coloured sets. This is not the case with Village and I often have to get them clarified by fellow players which is frustrating for me and likely a bit annoying for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan D' Angelo
United States
Kensington
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A related side note: the person in charge of proofing components for us is some type of colorblind, just not red/green. He feels bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
benjamin CLOVIS
France
flag msg tools
Hi dominic,
A way to think about it is if you took a black and white picture of the cubes, they would look exactly the same. That is the 'tone' of the colours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.