Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Might have better luck looking for official answers in previous threads then starting a thread for every question you have. There's a fantastic compilation of official rulings HERE at the Captain's Log as well. I haven't even started playing it and I keep seeing the same questions posted. Surely some of these have been answered?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to search the forums to see if anyone has asked your question before.

Seriously though, I do see your point. It may be difficult to believe, but some people don't realize there is a search function for the threads (I've heard a few people say that, mostly newer users). I have forgotten to use it myself or at times. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugur Dönmez
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is any consolation (probably not), this is far from exclusively a SeaFall problem. Try counting how many threads there are on the Terra Mystica forum with the question about the symbol beneath the sanctuary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
It doesn't exactly bother me, but it seems more useful to see what the previous discussions on these questions have been and see if there's been a conclusion. If the previous discussions haven't reached a conclusion or a ruling from Rob and JR, then I guess trying again makes some sense...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, Ugur,

If you go on the Twilight Imperium 3 threads, there are several postings about playing TI3 for the first time, and how do I do it?

If these players were to research the forum for TI3, they would see that this discussion has been dealt with in depth.

I don't really care that much, although it does "clog up" the threads when you are trying to find answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I assume that most people do exactly as you suggest. If they find what they are looking for, should they make a post so that you know they did it right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who just recently posted a couple of questions...

Yes, sometimes I search for previous instances of the same questions. However:

- Sometimes I don't find anything, even if it's there.

- Sometimes I can't find a suitably easy search query.

- Sometimes I think I'm more likely to get a useful answer to some specific subtleties of a question that was answered in a more general way by asking the question directly than by resurrecting an old thread and hoping people are still subscribed.

- Sometimes I just can't be bothered with the search.

- And in the case of Seafall, fear of spoilers is always paramount! Asking a question and saying up front "I haven't played, no spoilers please!" feels safer than searching through threads and hoping whatever presentation formal BGG decides to use doesn't happen to throw up text from a spoiler discussion.

So...yes, there's a search function. There are also a bunch of good reasons not to use the search function

The Captain's Log uFAQ is great but I don't think there's any obvious way of finding that from the front page (or indeed of searching for it, if you don't know about it previously - the themed title is nice but "uFAQ" would probably be more helpful!)

Hope that helps answer your (definitely never-before-asked ) question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(PSN) SilentSniper_X_
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I've been on this forum fairly religiously, and I didn't know the FAQ (Captain's Log) existed until I saw it linked in a thread yesterday

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far Seawall has not had this problem, but typos in the titles can make it tougher to find things. So another annoyance is people not checking or correcting thread titles.

I agree that not looking is the greater annoyance.

Today's gripe, for me, is people who quote an answer to a question and then claim hat it does not even address the question when it actually answers the question.

Bunch'o'chowderheads on BGG! Present company almost excepted, of course.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it is ideal when people search first before asking their questions so we don't get a proliferation of similar threads.

However, I personally think it is generally pretty good. How many people do you think have searched the threads and found the answers they need? I know I have already found a few rules questions myself on these forums, but even I started a thread for a rules question. (Although I don't think it had previously been answered?)

Overall I'd assume that a lot of people do do this, and we just see a few threads get created here and there that don't. It's not a big deal, especially for a Legacy game like this one where people may want to avoid spoilers that might appear in other threads.

I've always been very pleased by the kind quick responses I get on these forums. Every once in a while I get annoyed by those who wish every person who visited the site instantly knew how to use the search features and find the answer to their questions rather than creating another thread. Frankly a few extra threads aren't going to hurt any of us, and if the search feature works so well you should easily be able to find anything you want to even if there are a lot of threads. Else it isn't that hard to scroll through everything.

Different perspectives I guess. I prefer if players are getting their questions answered and enjoying playing games. I don't mind if the forums get a little cluttered with a few repeat questions. It's bound to happen. Sure, kindly point out that there is a search feature that might have allowed them to answer their question, but in general it's just not a big deal in my opinion.

Plus as I say, I would bet the majority of users DO search for rules questions before posting. You can only see the people who don't, but for every rules question that does get repeated how many users did successfully use the search feature to find answers? I'd bet the rate is pretty high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I worry that the amount of similar threads will make it more and more difficult to find the ones that have answers in them. If someone searches for a question, finds 5 threads with 10+ or so answers in them, will they read all of them or just make another thread to save them some reading time?

Maybe I'm wrong or exaggerating but many starting rules questions have been discussed and answers by the designer this past year. Now with the game finally landing on tables, all of those answers are buried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kpishnery wrote:
I worry that the amount of similar threads will make it more and more difficult to find the ones that have answers in them. If someone searches for a question, finds 5 threads with 10+ or so answers in them, will they read all of them or just make another thread to save them some reading time?

The people whom you're trying to persuade aren't going to read this thread or listen to what you have to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"Do people not search for rules questions before posting?"

No. No they don't. This has been covered in countless other threads on BGG. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The search functionality on BGG is functional, but subpar and archaic. Conscientious folks likely do utilize the facility, but others don't (or won't). That's never going to change until the search system becomes more intelligent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:

"Do people not search for rules questions before posting?"

No. No they don't. This has been covered in countless other threads on BGG. whistle
It has even been discussed in their forum already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why to this day BBG does not have a sticky thread option is beyond me. Every forum should have a rules and a FAQ thread stickied to the top of every forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Of course searching is only of limited use when threads are named things like "Rules Quesion"or "Just finished my first game and need help" or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
kpishnery wrote:

The people whom you're trying to persuade aren't going to read this thread or listen to what you have to say.

This. The only way to fix the problem is stronger moderation, but that would require a lot more time from mods who are basically volunteers, as I understand it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:
The search functionality on BGG is functional, but subpar and archaic. Conscientious folks likely do utilize the facility, but others don't (or won't).

Google is the best way to search BGG threads. Generally it works fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
The Captain's Log uFAQ is great but I don't think there's any obvious way of finding that from the front page (or indeed of searching for it, if you don't know about it previously - the themed title is nice but "uFAQ" would probably be more helpful!)

I added "Unofficial SeaFall FAQ" into the title of the Captain's Log doc; hopefully that will aid in future searching. Short of bumping it every couple of days, there's little else I can do...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Auzette wrote:
The search functionality on BGG is functional, but subpar and archaic. Conscientious folks likely do utilize the facility, but others don't (or won't).

Google is the best way to search BGG threads. Generally it works fine.

Indeed. Most often I use the search query [query term BGG] and Google figures it out. Sometimes I have to type [query term site:boardgamegeek.com]. Never fails. Using the native search here is not a good use of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.