Subject: Gadgety Round Expandable Table Ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M L
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey, I'll try and be brief.

I've read Artisan88 build thread quite a few time and I want one (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/702965/my-wonderful-expanda...)!

I'm hoping for some opinions for some changes I have in mind.

The most complicated addition to the table I would like to do is have a square boarder 36" and about 1" wide of black glass inserted into the 48" round table. Under the glass I would like to have LED's that change colour for either player indication because Eclipse takes way too long without player time limits and for Poker when the blinds go up the LED's could flash(this is the complicated part)- Question think this is worth the programing work? also the 36" square doubles as the area for StarWars Mini's

The second complicated issue is being a round table and not having a lot of space at home I would like to have the table double as a coffee table, in other words I need an adjustable from 18" to 30" doing this with 4 legs is easy but I would prefer to have a pedestal base. So I need some ideas!!

Any thoughts?

PS Artisan88 any advice that's not in your thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M L
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
To expand on the LED thing I would have a programmed time limit and the LEDs would be the colour of the current players turn, with the last say 10 seconds you would see the LED's changing colour.

Any ideas on better/Different usage of the LEDs let me know!

Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here is my idea for making the table adjustable from 18" to 30"...

The table will be in two parts:
1. Have a pedestal base that has 4 legs extending upwards (could uses a cross shape for extra strength) and extends about 15" in height.
2. The table top has 4 legs that are spaced apart the exact same distance as the base legs and are around 15" in height plus the table thickness.

The two fit together with a 45 degree twist. When in short mode, the upper legs fall between the spaces of the pedestal base making the table 18" tall. When you want a higher table, you and someone else grab either side of the upper table section, lift it straight up and rotate it 45 degrees until the upper legs align with the lower pedestal base. The legs lock together (some how) resulting in the table growing to around 30" in height.

The above is probably hard to visualize... use this as an example. Take your right hand and make a spider with the fingers (legs) pointing down. With your other hand, do the opposite with the spider upside down - legs up. When you place them on top of each other, either 1) the finger tips (legs) align and you have a tall table, or 2) you rotate your fingers slightly such that the fingers fit between each other and slide down to create a short table.

Of course you would need a mounting lock system such as holes in the base with pegs/plugs to lock the upper legs in place so that the table can't be bumped resulting in the top half falling off the lower half when in tall mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M L
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
Sounds like a sweet idea, maybe combine your idea with something like the picture.

The hardest part about making the table adjustable is having it sturdy when its all the way up! Another idea I had was making enclosing a bottle jack in a pillar but I don't think there is a way to have that very stable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M L
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
So I picked up this bad boy on the weekend for $60, I'm going to try and modify this table to be an expandable table. Should have done the math tho! 36" square doesn't fit in a 48" circle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.