Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drazen Kramaric
Croatia
Zagreb
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am long time Memoir '44 player and during the last couple of years I started to play and enjoy the C&C: Napoleonics. For the incoming holidays I am contemplating between purchasing Russian and Austrian expansions for the Napoleonics and going into the undiscovered territory of Great War.

What would you reccomend? Is Great War a game that will satisfy someone who likes both Memoir '44 and Napoleonics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
Solo Gaming Reviews and Commentary
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drax Kramer wrote:
I am long time Memoir '44 player and during the last couple of years I started to play and enjoy the C&C: Napoleonics. For the incoming holidays I am contemplating between purchasing Russian and Austrian expansions for the Napoleonics and going into the undiscovered territory of Great War.

What would you reccomend? Is Great War a game that will satisfy someone who likes both Memoir '44 and Napoleonics?

I have Memoir '44 and Battle Cry, but not Napoleonics... I feel Great War was still fun to play and different enough from the others to be satisfying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have ALL the nap expansions and also Great War.

The difference in feeling is remarkable.

The question really is about your interest.

Would you like to expand your scope of Nap action with the other nationalities and what they bring to the table (some slightly different abilities and a lot more historical scenarios)?

Or do you want to try something very different in feel.

If you have not experienced the "Marshals and Tacticians" expansions for CCNap, then Great War is going to be VERY different (there is a separate deck of cards). M&T does not work quite the same as GW but they are clearly related.

Hope that helps. All in all, C&C is my favorite system and I marvel at how much difference there are between Nap, Ancients, Samurai, and now WW1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great War has some different rules than Memoir. In Great War, you don't reduce the number of dice when firing at a unit in terrain. Instead, units in terrain are able to ignore hits and/or flags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To expand on Kevin and Kent's replies...

I think RB has done an excellent job of rendering a unique feel for each title in the C&C system. While not exact simulations each game yields a perception(?) of the time period it portrays without drowning players in excessive rules. This makes the games very approachable and playable within the time confines you're used to with M'44.

That said... Which to get TGW or more C&C:Nap?

I guess the question is are you enjoying what you have with C&C:N and are you interested in WWI? Yes to either and I think you've answered your own question.

I love them both... but at the moment I am really enjoying TGW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's not forget Battle Cry and Battle Cry 150...both use miniatures as does the Great War and its Tanks expansion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
Let's not forget Battle Cry and Battle Cry 150...both use miniatures as does the Great War and its Tanks expansion...

For some... I made counters for TGW and blocks for Memoir. Will do counters for Battle Cry too.

Just so much easier to play than using the minis (which is the one downside of TGW, the minis are horrible).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have them all, but I would also suggest that you try C&C Ancients, another great game in the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david Gorman
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have both all the expansions for memoir 44 and 2 of some
All the expansions for ancients and Napoleonics.
Battlecry 150 and samurai battles just a base game as well as the great war and the tank expansion.

As all ready mentioned the great war has some differences to the rest of the series 2 decks in the base games similar to the cards in memoirs winter wars and sword of Stalingrad and the terrain canceling some hit types instead of reducing dice.

The German and British armies have the exact same rules no difference at that level seems fair a sqaud of germans armed with Kar 98s should be the same as a squad of British with enfields like most c&c games where as with Napoleonics the armys have different rules.

If you like both memoir and c&c napoleonics I think youd like the great war.
It really comes down to what era of history you have an interest I think as to which you should go for I find the c&c games ive enjoyed have been the eras that I read about.
I didnt like battlelore as I'm not a big fantasy fan. Ive only played samurai battles a few times but its mechanically similar to ancients which I prefer expansion 3 being my favorite due to it been the civil war era.

On the great war miniatures v blocks debate i'm definitely pro miniatures and have painted mine (as well as the memoir ones battlecry and samurai battles).
I've replaced all the blocks for napoleonics with 1/72 plastic figures and currently doing it for ancients.
For the great war ones get a sprue cutter and keep so glue on stand by I broke a few british bayonets but was able to fix everyone of them and when painted up cant tell which ones have been repaired.

Also agree with Kevin on Marshals and Tactics but that works better if have the army expansions same with epic
Great war covers Loos offensive the Somme and Cambari
The Russian expansion has 1806 4th coalition 1812 invasion of russia and 1814 in France
The Austrian expansion has 1805 but no austerlitz and the 1809 campaigns
1813 is added in Marshals and Tactics austerlitz in grand battles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you have a regular opponent that is interested in playing more in depth games, I would get Great war.

I have most of the commands and colors series games, and find that if I bought just the base game for each series I would still be able to play 95% of all the games I play face to face, and I would have have way less storage issues.

I would highly suggest the tank war expansion for the great war though, because adding the issue of tanks is just totally cool.

CCN expansions are great if you are getting deeper into the history of some of the factions, but for general fun and gaming I would go with the Great war. It also allows you to have a wider offering to your new opponents who are interested in playing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many above I have all C&C:A, C&C:N and TGW. I came to them all from Memoir.

I love history and marvel at the different historic feel of each C&C version. Please don't be put off TGW by the traditional view of WW1 gaming - the two decks and the HQ token system produce great games.

If you've come this far with Richard Borg, then I think it's a question of when not if you get both i.e. C&C expansions (with Epic just around the corner) and TGW plus Tanks!

You have many hours of fun ahead of you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get all of them?

If that is not an option, as everyone else has said, get when interests you most. If, for example, you really want Napoleonic scenarios covering Eylau or Aspern-Essling, got the Russian/Austrian expansions.

If you are satisfied with French vs British in CCN, and would rather have a WWI game, or C&C game with a different feel/strategy motif, get TGW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NimitsTexan wrote:
Get all of them?

Why not - many of us have over time and all C&C:N are available. The expansions all add value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pain
United Kingdom
Blandford
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will end up with both - the question is really which do you buy first and that really depends on which period most appeals
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
National City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
To expand on Kevin and Kent's replies...

I think RB has done an excellent job of rendering a unique feel for each title in the C&C system. While not exact simulations each game yields a perception(?) of the time period it portrays without drowning players in excessive rules. This makes the games very approachable and playable within the time confines you're used to with M'44.

I too started with Memoir '44, and now own all of C&C Ancients and Napoleonics, plus The Great War and Battle Cry. As said above, Borg has done a great job making each series with a unique feel, and as several others have mentioned, it is not a question of which one, but how long before you have both if you really are taken with the C&C game system. Under the circumstances, if you must choose one for the moment, I would suggest The Great War. You can follow up later to pick up any expansions of C&C Napoleonics and The Great War that you do not yet have. And don't forget C&C Ancients, which is great fun as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.