Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiago Miranda
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the artwork and the smoothness of Tokaido. I have the Collector's Edition with all expansions so far, but I think the game lacks a little bit of replayability. I guess it is due to the simplicity of the game. I dunno.

What do you guys think? Could this be fixed somehow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. It's not a game you play again and again. You pull it out once in couple months, to have this peaceful zen experience or maybe just to show it to new people. You can always pick a different character and focus on exploiting his/hers ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, all the replayability lies in choosing a different character and playing to their strengths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Miranda
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Not really. It's not a game you play again and again. You pull it out once in couple months, to have this peaceful zen experience or maybe just to show it to new people. You can always pick a different character and focus on exploiting his/hers ability.

I think is more like that, it isn't a game you wanna play several times a week to try different strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stanoch
United States
Bradenton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We always randomize character assignment and have not had problems with replayability. That said, we only play the game 2-3 tims per month. But every time we play we relish the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends what you mean by replayability.

The strategy lies in the "jump ahead or hang back and collect a bunch of things" mechanism. In my mind, that interaction means infinite replayability. It's a tense bluffing game, similar to Glen More or Patchwork, in the guise of a cutesy "zen" game, and feels much the same way Go is a simple game about putting stones on a board.

If you define replayability as seeing new things versus holding up to an actual competitive play experience, I could understand where you're coming from... but I would also disagree that it takes any actual replayability from the game. Still, if you feel that way, you should get into wargsming, since the constant min-max potential and individual playstyles are the only thing in that context to hold up as replayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. It's the difference between - at one extreme - a chaotic game where the game itself determines the "story" of the game each time you play, or - at the other extreme - where the players determine the "story" of the game each time it is played. Contrast (urgh, not sure I have an good example) with Chess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Indeed. It's the difference between - at one extreme - a chaotic game where the game itself determines the "story" of the game each time you play, or - at the other extreme - where the players determine the "story" of the game each time it is played. Contrast (urgh, not sure I have an good example) with Chess.

Contrast = Talisman, Arkham/Eldritch Horror (and by the way, when the latter came out people were complaining about replayability within a month)... anything with a stupid number of cards is a pretty good example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Miranda
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eypyeash wrote:
It depends what you mean by replayability.

The strategy lies in the "jump ahead or hang back and collect a bunch of things" mechanism. In my mind, that interaction means infinite replayability. It's a tense bluffing game, similar to Glen More or Patchwork, in the guise of a cutesy "zen" game, and feels much the same way Go is a simple game about putting stones on a board.

If you define replayability as seeing new things versus holding up to an actual competitive play experience, I could understand where you're coming from... but I would also disagree that it takes any actual replayability from the game. Still, if you feel that way, you should get into wargsming, since the constant min-max potential and individual playstyles are the only thing in that context to hold up as replayable.

Goood point of view. I guess it's like Go then. With replayability given by player actions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eypyeash wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

Contrast = Talisman, Arkham/Eldritch Horror (and by the way, when the latter came out people were complaining about replayability within a month)... anything with a stupid number of cards is a pretty good example.
I was tempted to take offense on behalf of my favourite game (Arkham Horror), but I agree, the cards do drive the story. It doesn't mean that the players have no agency, but they aren't in control of the events in the game. Of course, in my opinion this isn't inherently bad, but then neither is player-driven replayability, they're just different styles of game.

It's interesting that you should raise the subject of replayability in EH. Those (wholly justified) complaints were caused by... insufficient numbers of cards in the base game. I.e. in a game that has replayability driven by game content, the publisher hadn't provided enough game content. That situation has been remedied - in spades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, I mean, AH and its kind aren't bad games. My top ten is mostly filled with things that could be defined as thematically dense and conteny-driven.

But I play waaay more euros in my house. Some people just can't get into them, but they represent mechanically better games in my mind almost without exception. The lame themes, though, really prevent theme from being high on my favorites list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.