GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

10,166 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Game you are glad is an app or wish it was rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just looking at Caverna and wondering if there's a place for it in my group. Then I realized that the size and number of pieces might be too much of an investment to get to the table. Perhaps it would make a better app.

Are there other games out there that are best as an app, setting aside the tactile part of the game which I do enjoy?

Or other games you can think of that you wish was an app because you can't get it to the table? Arkham Horror just came to mind too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None. I do not like digital boardgames. Id rather just play a video game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ditto, none.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Someday Asagi will be the main character of her very own game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad for every board game app I have, as it lets me play the game more often than I'd be able to by getting a group together.

As for a game I wouldn't particularly play on a table, Ascension: Deckbuilding Game is probably the best. I love deck builders, and some of my friends do too, but the art style of Ascension puts most of them off (I don't care for it either, to be honest), but I still play the game a ton. I've probably played it over 1000 times on my ipad, and I've already played maybe 60 rounds with the new Dreamscape expansion.

I think Deck building games work really well in digital format because the shuffling bothers a lot of people with the physical games. My wife refuses to play them because of the shuffling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:
None. I do not like digital boardgames. Id rather just play a video game.

I'm with you on this, but I like the fact Twilight Struggle is now an app. On the commute to and from work, as well as lunch, I can maybe get two games in each day.

My video games of choice are anything from the Souls series (Dark Souls I, II, and II, Bloodborne) or long drawn out RPGs (The Witcher series, Skyrim, ...). Those don't translate well to a tablet or phone.

I'd love to see 1989 as an application in the near future. There's definite overlap in code which should ease some of the development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jujo Vee
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels of the Multiverse app is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Any two player game that has asynchronous play, because it means I can play it with my partner in bits and pieces when we each have time to take turns. I've played more games of Patchwork and Lost Cities through the app than anything else in my physical collection due to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like a digital Arkham Horror or Eldritch Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Arkham Horror would indeed be fantastic!
I'd love Paths of Glory and/or For the People!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Ascension and Lords of Waterdeep every day on my phone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Death: Monster, looks like it would make a great app and then I could buy it at 5% of the price...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Star Realms works well as an app. Makes all the calculating of damage and trade much quicker than when doing it in real life. Plus it opens it up to be able to play with so many more people that I would never get to play with otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second Ascension and Sentinels of the Multiverse, though for different reasons that are related.

A computer factors things faster than most humans - SotM is notorious for all it's +1 here, -2 there, +4 here if this and that are in play. My tablet MOST of the time will speed through those (though not always... some days it's just cranky).

Ascension is a fun game, but aside from the aforementioned shuffling, I HATE scoring those sorts of games at the end. I avoid victory points like the plague in almost any game because I hate counting up at the end. With the app, it does it for you.

I've also enjoyed Ticket to Ride, Splendor & Patchwork for quick plays. I have more, but those have been far and away played more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely in the minority here. I wish every game had an app. For instance, if I want to buy Le Havre right now, it would cost me $94 (because it is in between print runs). For $4.99, I can check out the game and see if it interests me, AND play it solo when the moment strikes.

I FREQUENTLY play the app versions of multiple games and typically try the app before buying the cardboard. This happened with Star Realms, Baseball Highlights: 2045 – Deluxe Edition, Le Havre, Stone Age and Galaxy Trucker. In every instance, save for Galaxy Trucker, the app led me to purchase the cardboard version of the game.

Apps are a cheap way to experience the game and determine if you will like them. I find them invaluable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly prefer to play physical games IRL. However, apps can be a handy substitute.

I'm glad Agricola has a good app cuz I can play it with buddies in other cities. However, given the chance, I'd much rather play with my own physical copy. Recently I had a few sessions of Twilight Struggle with a buddy. We live in the same town but it was still cool to play the game over a few days without the hassle of meeting up. Again, playing in person is more fun, but not always feasible.

I'd love to see decent apps for lots of my games. Just kinda randomly: Stronghold 2ed; Food Chain Magnate; Forbidden Stars. Almost all of them, really.

I can't think of any time I'd prefer the app to the real game given no time or scheduling constraints, but there are many times when you can't do the real thing, for those times I'd love to have an app (and sometimes I do).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play cribbage all the time on my phone. I feel like it would be a pain to play in the real because of the scoring. I've never actually played a physical game of cribbage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neph Ilium
United States
Parma Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games with fiddly scoring... such as Castles of Mad King Ludwig and Suburbia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hortness
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not so patiently awaiting android versions of Through the Ages and Twilight Struggle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love board game apps. It gives me the chance to play a board game I love when I'm unable to play with another person (which is often). The more the better as far as I'm concerned.

I'd love to see Food Chain Magnate and Caverna as mobile apps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad that Star Realms has an app; it's what really got me into the boardgaming hobby to begin with.

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island looks like a really interesting game, but probably too fiddly to make it to my table. However, it's being reimplemented as First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet with an integrated app that I hope will help streamline the gameplay.

I like when big, long, heavy, pricey games like Dominant Species and Eclipse have apps so that I can try before I buy. Honestly, I think that every strictly turn-based game (where players can't interact on each other's turns) should have an app version with asynchronous online multiplayer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll Through The Galaxy
I kid you not, I would pay $50 for a solid implementation of this game! My only requirements would be it has to have "solid AI"... for those who've played Race For The Galaxy via Keldon's AI program (for Windows, but has been compiled for other platforms), that caliber.

The same undo/redo features, verbose log, and mouseover features would be swell as well

I'm sure some folks will point out that for up to $10 more, I could just buy the actual game. Well, I don't have many gaming opportunities, and I can actually count the number of times it's gotten played in the last 1.5 years.... once. Having beautiful, custom dice that I could touch, feel, roll, and hear clatter is of no damn use to me because I want to PLAY the game. At least with a digital version, I get to actually PLAY the game.

Pandemic with the In The Lab expansion
It can be played solo, but it'd help to have rules enforcement, and I loathe to set up just for myself. I'd rather do something else in that case. If I'm setting up for 1 to 4 other players... that's a different story.

Pandemic The Cure
Like with Roll For The Galaxy, this also only got played once in the past 1.5 years.

Pandemic The Cure + its exp
Ditto

Roll Through The Ages: The Iron Age + Med. expansion
As something I wanted to see how it'd work out, I ended up already implemented this into a spreadsheet...

No rules enforcement, but it does keep track of score and have reminders for development powers. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing something with a modern GUI. Not to mention being on mobile since it's an excellent game for on the go.

Ghost Stories with the White Moon and Black Secret expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eatem wrote:
Kingdom Death: Monster, looks like it would make a great app and then I could buy it at 5% of the price...whistle

Heh, this.

More seriously though I'd like Onirim because of all the shuffling.

I play Summoner Wars every day with a buddy of mine (who lives across the country). We really enjoy it and I am hoping they will release more content for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much every boardgame we own I'd love to have as an app. I'd particularly like Marvel Legendary and Dark Tales as apps- they'd play great, especially since they're both just cards.

My husband and I like using the apps to play, especially those that give you a timer to take your turn. We play Star Realms when he's at work, it's pretty fantastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ND3G wrote:
I am not so patiently awaiting android versions of ... Twilight Struggle

Same here. If Twilight Struggle for Android has asynchronous play I'll marry it and never look at another app again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having recently played the Sentinels of the Universe app, I can't imagine playing the game on the table. There are so many things to track. Even playing the app there I moments where I don't track everything on the board and make a play that's detrimental. Being able to undo a move because you didn't realize all the consequences is pretty useful.

Additionally, it feels like it would be a really slow game as a board game. Players don't have that many choices. And, depending on the team, some of the villains can take forever to whittle down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.