The Edge: Dawnfall» Forums » General

Subject: Creators Q&A rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Awaken Realms
msg tools
publisher
Hey guys,

We see that there were some questions / comment on the game. If there is anything you would like to know - we are here for you to answer everything to the best of our knowledge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neilan Naicker
United States
Santa Monica
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi team! The game looks really interesting and exciting, good job.

I'd like to know more about the solo/co-op campaign, apologies if this has been covered elsewhere:

The campaign mentions that you need all 6 factions to enjoy the campaign in its entirety, and that's neat, but how much of it can you play with, say, a single faction? Is it still a complete story? Roughly how many scenarios? How does playing co-op with two factions affect which scenarios you do, and how does difficulty scale?

Second, how is the Darkness AI controlled? Is it a deck of cards that randomly determines its moves? How has it been constructed to ensure an interesting unpredictable challenge?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuroshima Hex had a win condition of defeating a building. Is this game going to have varied objectives or is it just a kill for points tug of war?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neilan Naicker
United States
Santa Monica
flag msg tools
mbmb
Am I correct in saying that ONLY the Darkness campaign extras are Kickstarter exclusive?

If so, how many Darkness AI cards and figures do I really need for the campaign? Is there a reason to have all of them (i.e. with the Dawnfall box)? Or am I fine with just 3 cards and 4 figurines?

Are there faction specific Kickstarter exclusives? Do you only get the "Community Share" stretch goal "Purge Doctor" figurines if I choose the Chapter box? Would I get those if I bought the Chapter faction later?

Right now my biggest hesitation is that with all the (yet to be announced) social stretch goals, it's really nebulous as to what exactly I'm going to be receiving with my pledge, and how much of that will make its way to retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awaken Realms
msg tools
publisher
Darric,

Actually Conflict box should give you full game experience. All the core mechanics are covered in 2 faction box + special campaign and story mode with "legacy" map.

In single faction box you should get campaign against darkness that should provide over 15 scenarios with various in-game decisions and shadow models scaling as the campaign progress, as well as kind of "last stand" variant, where you will just want to survive as long as possible with your favorite squads / card combination.

Yes, there will be AI deck of cards that will control darkness. We hope to fully unlock Darkness faction and actually make them fully playable!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awaken Realms
msg tools
publisher
Destrio,
Yes, it will actually have full scenarios with very different, story-wise objectives
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor M
msg tools
Could you explain exactly what the difference would be (in terms of components) between buying two of the £85 pledges (to get all 6 factions) and buying one of the £250 package? There seem to be a couple of contradictory images/messages still up on the campaign, and I'm trying to decide how much I should spend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awaken Realms
msg tools
publisher
Conor,

2 Conflict boxes will give you:
- All factions + 2x Stetch Goals

Dawnfall box will give you:
- All factions x2 (twice squad count)
- 1x Stretch Goals

Hope this helps in making up the decision!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ramsey
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Cool. I just backed for a Big Box. But I've got tons of questions, largely derived from the fact that I almost always play games with more than 2 people. I'm going to be doing a bunch of 3 and 4 player free-for-alls.

1) How many battle maps come with the big box? 2? 3 (due to the "3xConflictBox" description)? Is combining maps how I'm supposed to do a 4-player game?

2) If I've got 4 armies running around on the board (and the miniatures are unpainted), how do I easily tell the difference between armies? (I highly suggest an add-on of colored skids that go under the figs. You would only need 4 new shapes (1,2,3, and 6 hexes) in multiple colors and counts. I'm not asking for these for free. Sell them to me!)

3) If the models are doubled in the Big Box, are the decks doubled as well? Could I do Fallen v. Fallen? (Temporarily separating the models into 2 teams would become very important then.) I think (from reading further in) that you would *have* to double the squad decks, or you couldn't actually use twice as many of something... but I can't find it confirmed anywhere.

4) How does scoring work when there are more than 2 players in a free-for-all?

5) Do you have a draft rulebook available? Some of these might be answered there.

6) How do expansions work? What mechanics are added by having Portals and Totems and Objectives? What would be the gameplay argument for me purchasing 2 separate expansions? Why would I want all 4? I'm not complaining. I'm asking you to *sell* them to me. I just need a reason beyond, "Well, they look cool."

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Allison
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
How does the difficulty scale in the solo or co-op game against Darkness? Is the game too easy with more factions or too hard with only one faction?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awaken Realms
msg tools
publisher
Dave,

Here are the answers!

1) Actually, Dawnfall will come with 6 maps (2 of each) + special Dawnfall scenario and map taking use of all the extra content other boxes does not have!

2) Colored skids under bases are exactly what we have planned

3) Yes, they are doubled. So you can run Chapter vs Chapter if you would like!

4) First - there will be special scenario for 4 players taking part, just to make it more complicated than "KILL EM ALLLLLL" This will put you a special objectives and such.

Then, we will have a bit modified VP system to that. I will leave that topic to Michał Oracz (he will very soon make updates about game mechanic), but the biggest point here is to create a level, where no one will be "forced" to play a lost game.

There are some other cool ideas, that lost players can start playing Darkness and trying to kill anyone left standing

5) We will try to put it out before campaign will end! We will definitely Chapter and Demons cards cards, as they are 95% ready

6) Terrains will add special scenarios, but to be 100% honest, they will not dramatically change the gameplay. They are mostly for collectors who want better "3D" board.
If you are more a gamer - you should be fine with the Cardboard tiles that comes with the game

Thanks for supporting us and I hope i added a bit more light on the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awaken Realms
msg tools
publisher
Bill,

Currently we have only faction of Darkness. We fully intend to add more variety of them. If we will be lucky enough, we might get to unlock Boss-level Darkness model that would be really a hard one to deal with

Basically, darkness models will be "growing" and scaling with the campaign. So same squads will be able to get stronger and stronger depending on the amount of play.

Overall idea behind Darkness faction is that they feed on fear, misery and ultimately conflict. So the more you fight the stronger they get. We will also put that into the mechanic, so the more factions will be there - the "bigger" Darkness will be

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Allison
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Can you be more specific about how the different factions play?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. Is there any reason to have double faction units if I don't want to play the same faction vs itself?

2. Are the army groups the same every time you play a faction?

3. If I got double the units would I be able to put in 4 werewolfs on one team or is that not possible?

4. In what situations would having double the units be beneficial?

I'm trying to understand the benefits of the big box vs the war chest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor M
msg tools
I'm not in any way affiliated, but the creators have confirmed in the KS comments that doubles of a faction will be useful for building an army. So the answers to your four questions are Yes, No, Yes, and "army building, fielding two of the same faction, and Dawnfall-specific scenarios requiring more pieces."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Running4cover wrote:
I'm not in any way affiliated, but the creators have confirmed in the KS comments that doubles of a faction will be useful for building an army. So the answers to your four questions are Yes, No, Yes, and "army building, fielding two of the same faction, and Dawnfall-specific scenarios requiring more pieces."

Thanks. It seems like they did clarify how some of this stuff works. You can play 2 v 2 with one faction vs another if you have double the faction units or you could play 2 v 2 with all different factions OR a free for all with all different factions. Sounds amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tract Gildart
Canada
flag msg tools
Is this going to be a "constant-expansions" type game where there will new units and stuff, somewhat like 40k or X-wing, or will this pretty well be a one-time purchase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi AR,

The count of Game Items is between Faction Box (1x), Conflict Box (3x) and Warchest (6x) linear exept the Custom Dice. Can you please add a 3th die to the Conflict-Boxes. I'd like to back 2 Conflict Boxes (double one fraction and don't need one specific fraction - hate dwarfes) and wouldt like to get the same count as in one cheaper Warchest Box. Thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillippe Caminha
msg tools
Hi AR,

could you please give me an insight on the differences between getting 2xConflict Boxes and a Warchest ? both i can have all 6 Factions, but what about the components (Maps , Tile , Accessories , Dice).

I'm looking for the Full game experience, but with 2xConflict I fell that i'll get "more" for the value (due to the 2x Sttretch Goals, btw... does it even apply if I pledge for one conflict now and get a second during the PM?)

I'm looking forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the print and play you talked about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that every picture of the Darkness had an annotation indicating no box provided. What kind of shipping and storage solution is being planned for the Darkness? Plain cardboard box or something more ornate but not the placeholder box thats currently displayed? That didn't seem to be addressed anywhere on the KS page. Personally as long as it addresses storage of all minis and cards in some sort of equitable solution in line with the regular warbands get I'll be content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertram Vogel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Question at the creators:

1. Can the scenarios from the campaign be played with different player counts?

2. One of the advantages of the Big Box is, that you get all models twice, which seems to allow more custom "armies" (take 2 angels of death for example). However, the big box is quite pricey. Can I also build an Army with units from different factions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,
This game looks pretty interesting.
I wondered how good does it work if you don't have the possibility to play a campaign but some "skirmishes". Do I have to play the campaign to develop the whole potential of the game or is the campaign some kind of "diving into a great story"?

I don't have a permanent gaming group so it is worth knowing before pledging this amount of money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dekoulis
Greece
Palaio Faliro, Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there!

1. What is the minimum content i have to buy to play a game of 2 players?

2a. I see you have an option with 2 faction/box set and another option with 1 faction/box set. will the 1 faction box have all the essential? (maps, dice, rule, scenarios etc)
2b. Will the maps, etc be different from the 2 faction box set?

3. Does the faction boxes contain all the available minis for that faction?

4. Me and my friend cannot find 2 faction box set combination with the faction each wants to play. if we each buy separately the 1 faction box set, we will be able to play with both faction scenarios, maps etc?

Edit:

5. I saw some reviews, in all of them the board map was made from folding paper... the review said that this was prototype and it may change. For that price I some high quality map not just paper. can you guys comment on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Pertici
Italy
Certaldo
Firenze
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fitsou wrote:
Hi there!

1. What is the minimum content i have to buy to play a game of 2 players?

2a. I see you have an option with 2 faction/box set and another option with 1 faction/box set. will the 1 faction box have all the essential? (maps, dice, rule, scenarios etc)
2b. Will the maps, etc be different from the 2 faction box set?

3. Does the faction boxes contain all the available minis for that faction?

4. Me and my friend cannot find 2 faction box set combination with the faction each wants to play. if we each buy separately the 1 faction box set, we will be able to play with both faction scenarios, maps etc?

Edit:

5. I saw some reviews, in all of them the board map was made from folding paper... the review said that this was prototype and it may change. For that price I some high quality map not just paper. can you guys comment on that?

I'm not the creator but I think I can help here
1) 2 faction box (like this one, all the stretch goals are not essential) that contain the minis for a faction, half board, dice tokens and all the components to play that faction, or a Conflict box

2a) The single faction box has just half of a board, the "map" is always the same, terrain may change based on the scenario. the other components are basicaly half of the components contained in the Conflict box, but for more details let's wait for the developers reply.

2b) See 2a

3) At the moment yes, but I believe that the plan is to create a "system" and expand all the factions with more minis. At the moment the only option of customization you have (besides deckbuilding I think) is to buy multiple copies of a faction to have more copies of the same minis/cards.
Edit: the kickstarter pledge contains all the models for a faction at the moment, because the elite squad is included as a stretch goal, but in retail those are 6£ extra.

4) If took the Conflict Box pledge (2 factions) you get a third additional faction of your choice for "free", but that's just limited to the kickstarter (that ended yesterday) when the pledge manager comes out you can choose which faction you want.

5) The final production map is going to be made of cardboard, the one you see in the videos is a prototype, but in the kickstarter campaign is mentioned as "Cardboard conflict board", the minis you see are prototype too, those are resin minis (harder material and higher detail) the final ones are going to be in (hopefully) hard plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.