The Others» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lots of Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Timing

1) When there are sin cards or abilities, like Wrath, that let you move a monster\hero unless a hero takes corruption, do you need to state what the movement will be?

In other words, do I need to tell the players "I will move this guy from here to here unless you take corruption" or do they need to do it blindly without knowing?

1b)If a player is on the starting space in a rescue mission and there is a monster there, he kills it but the sin player can use something (card or Wrath ability) to move a monster back into the starting space - Do the players still complete the mission before it happen?

Acolyte
2)The corrupted Nun's ability means you replace a city action with a corruption token. Does that mean a person who takes that city space take one corruption automatically instead of that bonus?

How long does that mark last? Until removed via cleansing?

3) Corrupted diplomat cancels a hero's natural ability. Does that include the "ranged" ability?

4) Corrupted police says you give the hero 1 wound if they are alone. What if that kills the hero? Does the fight still takes place?

Story
5) Story maps - how do they work exactly? Do you play them regularly one by one? Or is there some form of advancement? Like heroes continue in the form of dead heroes stay dead and players get same upgrades between missions?

Dark Past
6)#4 Former Hell-Club
Hero Chooses: 3 Wounds or 3 Corruption

I'm baffled, don't you reveal these cards when your corruption reaches the maximal effect? What is the difference between 3 corruption and 3 wounds at this point?

7) #7 The Tainted One!
This hero joins the sins player

What does this mean? The hero is "dead" and the players get a new one while it lasts as a hero? Does it keep upgrades?

Does the player controlling it continue playing just for the sin player?

If there are no more heroes in the reserve and this card is revealed, do the players lose?

Apocalypse Cards
8) Nicolas (Terror)
He turns Ravencorp and Commissioner tokens into abomination.
What happens if a player already holds one or more of them?

If they are killed, can they be brought back like regular monsters at the end of the turn?

Missions
9) Marking district missions (Haven in Flames 2a, The Darkness Within 3a)
Do these need to be different districts? Or can you mark the same one twice (Logically, it's different but I don't see anything in the rules)

10) Haven in Flames - 4 Destroy the avatar
It says that both controller and avataqr must be summoned when mission starts. Does that mean if they aren't on the board and the players destroy the altar during the middle of the round the Avatar and\or Controller are summoned automatically without effecting number of monsters that can be summoned at end of round?

11) The Darkness Within
"Raise it [Apocalyse Track] by one again if 4 or more districts are corrupt"

What does a corrupt district mean? Does it mean if there is at least one corruption token on it?

12) The Darkness within - 4 Complete the Ritual
Remove all remaining Corruption Tokens - What does this mean? The board needs to be completely clean of corruption tokens?

Or does that mean only existing corruption and everything added from here on out does not count?

13) Battleground of Souls
Apocalypse Track goes up by 1 if there are no innocents revealed.

So... Once a single innocent is revealed the Apocalypse track doesn't go up anymore? (Excluding the killed hero part)

If a player picks up an innocent, does that still count as revealed?

14) Rise of the Hell Club
So if a hell club member is killed, can they be brought back?
If not , do they count for the "destroy all five club members?"

Apocalypse
15) End of times 1.b Stop the cultists

There are only 6 acolytes, if the players don't kill them in a single round and the sin player can't summon more at end of round unless he dominates, how the heck can the players finish this mission?

16) If I choose to dominate in a round, Apocalypse doesn't add his dice to the fight. But is he still part of the fight? For example, let's the current hero is on the same space as Apocalypse. He ends his turn. Sin player uses a reaction and bring an abomination to the spot and fights the hero.

Because the sin wants to dominate, the sin player only rolls 3 dice for the fight for the abomination.

Let's say the hero rolled 50 punches (tons of crits) can he kill the abomination AND apocalypse?

It's not clear if Apocalypse can be hurt or not if he doesn't add his dice to the fight.

Yeah... That was a lot. Thanks for anyone who bothers even just reading through all of that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
quick ones I know offhand:

2) yes it causes corruption. I can't remember offhand but I think this might be permanent, I don't know if it can be cleansed.

5) each story is a one off, powerups are hugely impactful and if you allowed characters to carry them between missions they would quickly spin out of control since there is no limit to how many they can carry.

6) if you take corruption when you are at the max you take damage instead. The choice matters because they might be modified by gear or traits the survivor has though.

9) I'm almost positive in the rules there's a bit about only being able to mark a given district once

11) yes

12) all tokens, because the sin player may be able to add more and prolong the game

14) as a general rule, hell club members can never be brought back once destroyed (the cards are removed from the game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2) No. The corruption token is a regular token and works like all other corruption tokens. It replaces a city action, meaning that city action is no longer available to use so long as that token is on the district.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I would say you don't have to tell them, but I haven't found an official answer

1b) It its from an ability, or card, I would say they do not complete the mission since it is still the turn. However if the heroes kill the monster, and the Sins player tries to play a reaction, I would say the heroes already win. no official answer

2) https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1623791/multiple-rules-clar... according to this no, all it does is just block the benefit of one of the city actions and it also acts as a regular corruption token that can be cleansed, and the sins player will also roll when a hero enters or leaves that space

3) No, its being ranged isn't an ability. no official answer

4)I've always played it that there is no fight, because the police ability says before dice are rolled, and heroes die immediately after 5 wounds

5) There is no campaign mode or story, there is no correct way or order you play them except for maybe the last mission "rise of the hell club" which you can play last, but their all supposed to be one-offs.

6)there is a mission and i think the mayor can force people to reveal their dark past card prematurely

7) If you read the mission board, I believe the hero just joins you as a 7/7 monster or 5/5 I dont remember, so you treat it as another avatar,

8) I played it that if a hero was holding onto a token, they would just simply drop them and they would be in the same space as the hero. Nicholas says to treat them as abominations so I would say yes, you can re summon them, as long as nicholas is alive. no official answer

9) I'm pretty sure the mission board says they have to be different

10) yes, but still following the summoning rules

11) yes, physical and permanent ones count

12) All corruption tokens

13) Every round, an innocent token has to be flipped over or the track increases by 1. Picking up an innocent token doesn't count, it has to go from a "?" to a blue innocents token.

14)https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1623791/multiple-rules-clar... the FAQ, for that specific mission, the hell club members can respawn like normal monsters, until the final mission is started.

15) I haven't played the apocolypse expansion nor have I read them yet, sorry

16)^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Elliker
Switzerland
flag msg tools
My answers to the questions which I think my answer adds to the ones above or which I disagree with the answers given.

1. The rules do not state one or the other. However, I guess that if the idea of the ability was that the Sins players must announce the exact move in advance, the ability would have been formulated differently, i.e. something like: Whenever a monster is destroyed, you may choose a monster and indicate 1 space. Unless the current hero takes 1 corruption, you may teleport the monster to that space.

1b. This depends entirely on the timing of the effect. For instance, the mayor has the ability to be resummoned at the end of the turn. Thus, the player has lots of time to finish the mmission after the combat. However, you probably have cards with 'After the fight" in mind, and these cases, I think the heroes cannot fulfill their mission inbetween.

3. The rulebook indicates that the whole section to the upper right on a hero dashboard is the natural ability and that some heroes have a natural Ranged ability. Thus, I think the diplomat cancels natural ranged abilities as well.

5. As mentioned by the other posters, the game has no overall campaign play. Nothing is carried over from story to story or play to play. Now, the game has several stories (8 if one counts expansions) and each story has 2 or more maps associated with it. These maps are simply different ways to play the given story. They are not connected to each other. Simply put, they are here for replayability.

7. The 'The Beast We Become' story explains that the traitor hero (which is not the same as the tainted hero from Dark Pact #7) becomes a monster under the control of the Sin player with the stats of the avatar. I think it is save to assume that the same goes for the tainted one except for the fact that the tainted one is only 5/5. I guess the hero player treats it as if his hero died, but instead of removing the figure from the board, the sin player controls it (without any equipement).

8. We treated them as normal abominations and that the heroes drop them in their space.

9. Technically speaking you could mark the same district again and again as the rules do not state that you cannot mark the same component more than once. My guess is the mission should be (anlogue to mission 3A. of the Darkness Within): "End [3] turns in monster-free unmarked districts. Mark those districts."

11. The rules do not define what it means for a district to be corrupt. I agree that it probably means containing one or more corruption tokens (permanent or not).

13. This one is unclear as the board says "Raise the apocalypse track by one if no innocent ARE revealed". It does not say "have been revealed this round". This could be one way or the other, but if it is static (once one is revealed, not more increasing), the placcement of the tokens becomes boring.

15. Yes, this seems kinda problematic.

16. The rules are very clear about the fact that Apocalypse does not contribute ANY DICE to the fight. They do not say that Apocalypse does not contribute anything else. Furthermore, as the fight section of the rules is very clear about the fact that all monsters in the space are always involved in a fight in the same space, there is no reason to assume that the hero could not kill the Apocalypse even if it is not contributing any dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.