Subject: Decorated bases or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Lindberg
Sweden
lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! i am in the process of painting the minis, what to do about bases?, in tabletop they should be glued with sand and painted but on this map with nice coloured tiles it could look strange with sand earth or other texture on the bases, when the floor in the room is in another design.

Maybe just paint the bases black? This actually worked quite nice for

my Mansions of madness minis and Space hulk, but this is out of the GW tradition.

What do you suggest ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
I painted them just as every other WHFB base, but I'm not that good in doing bases, so it's more of a standard drill.

Personally, I saw a lot of pictures of miniatures with clear bases, and I have to say that clear bases are (arguably) the best for this game.

As a bonus, if the _suspected_ undead expansion eventually comes out, your bases will never be out of place.

You can also leave them black, or paint them a neutral color for all heroes, and another color for all adversaries.

Anyway, miniature painting is an art, so it's all a matter of tastes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dr dull wrote:
Hi! i am in the process of painting the minis, what to do about bases?, in tabletop they should be glued with sand and painted but on this map with nice coloured tiles it could look strange with sand earth or other texture on the bases, when the floor in the room is in another design.

my Mansions of madness minis and Space hulk, but this is out of the GW tradition.

What do you suggest ?

In one thread I saw someone had printed the pattern that is like the tiles and glued them to their bases. It looked good.

If you want to go all out, GW makes special bases like these:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Shattered-Dominion-25mm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:
dr dull wrote:

What do you suggest ?

In one thread I saw someone had printed the pattern that is like the tiles and glued them to their bases. It looked good.

If you want to go all out, GW makes special bases like these:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Shattered-Dominion-25mm...

New hero bases are coming too:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few options that I've seen pop up. You can go with a clear base, which will allow the art to show through the figure's base; you can paint a simple design on the base (say, Sky Blue and Light Green separated by a gold line - this is the option that I've gone with for this game); or Games Workshop has a set of scenic bases for a very good price and which can create some very spectacular results. Or, you could go with standard sand-and-flocking bases, or any other variety of standard bases.

I, personally, prefer the simple colored base as it is fast and easy to do, and doesn't require anything you may not have yet, but there has also been a growing fandom for the clear bases here as well (and, I do have to admit, they can certainly look quite good as well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went round and round with this question myself. Seeing as I really want my Silver Tower game to look good and since I'll likely not be using these minis for Age of Sigmar, I had considered buying special dungeon-tiled bases. In the end, I went with the generic sand and static grass.

I don't know what other games GW will have coming down the pipleline, but they have done a bit of cross-compatibility lately (Models from AoS can be used in Silver Tower and GORECHOSEN), so there may be a case where I want to use some of these figures in a future title.

In the end, the sand and grass bases look great and don't complicate the mini, which is nice because the Silver Tower board is _very_ colorful. Maybe less is more in this case...

Here's what some of my heroes look like:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Lindberg
Sweden
lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice indeed ! I also believe that less is more, in this already colorful game a colorful base detracts from the overall impression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Nemeth
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with clear bases.

They really look nice but I somehow regret starting this madness.
Imagine how cumbersome it was to glue the guy, that is only standing on one leg, to the base. I also don't work very neatly. If you mess up the glue on the base, it will look really ugly, as you can see on a few of my pieces below. whistle

In summary I would say, that clear bases will increase your working time by about 15 minutes per miniature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any GW titles, but I've done miniature basing (check my gallery). I enjoy the pre-made resin bases that only need painting. For about $1.00 - $1.50 each, I save a bunch of time that I would have spent applying a variety basing materials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Lindberg
Sweden
lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stanoch
United States
Bradenton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After seeing how the figures look on clear bases I think I now prefer clear bases! But I think it depends on the game. I can see how the gorgeous boards in ST would look great, I am not so sure that a less colorful board like in Execution Force would benefit from clear bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I used Kroma Crackle to give my figures a blue crackle base. Looks okay.

Some pictures are on my blog:

http://mezmaronslair.blogspot.com/2016/10/warhammer-quest-fi...

Mez

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.