11 Posts

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » General

Subject: Is this a legacy game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've watched a video online and got the impression that this is a legacy game.

I've also been told by someone that when you complete the first year, you then shuffle the same cards into the second year(second into third and so on, which would lead me to believe you cannot play the early years again once it is completed?

Or am i way off the mark?

Anyone with the game enlighten me

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Neave-Houghting
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More of a campaign game....each time you win you add more stuff and rules until you get to the end....then you can just play it as is, or reset and go again.

HTH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Aeggil wrote:
More of a campaign game....each time you win you add more stuff and rules until you get to the end....then you can just play it as is, or reset and go again.

HTH

thanks

do you think the re playability is high?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aeggil wrote:

Exactly. The rules also suggest increasing the difficulty if you fully reset.

FWIW: I don't think I've ever played a modern board game with my family more than 10 times until Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle. It's been a huge hit at my house. The excitement of discovery between games combined with the game getting more the challenging as you go really added a lot to the experience. They did an excellent job. Easily a top game of the year for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None of your decisions carry over from game to game. Hoeever, there is an exciting sense of expansion and escalation as you move through each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
cheers people

purchased already
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth noting that every card tells you what year it belongs to, so if you want to deconstruct the game after Year 7 and re-box everything, it only takes about 10 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear, it's definitely not a legacy game, and it's not really a campaign—you don't have the play the same characters each game, and they don't exactly grow either (e.g. your deck resets each game).

It's more of a tutorial and slow introduction to all the rules, to help mainstream buyers get to grips with a hobbyist game, with the patina of progression through the books/films. That's done well enough, but the early games are very simple and I at least don't have any interest in re-playing those levels after the challenge of the complete game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Gravey wrote:
Just to be clear, it's definitely not a legacy game, and it's not really a campaign—you don't have the play the same characters each game, and they don't exactly grow either (e.g. your deck resets each game).

It's more of a tutorial and slow introduction to all the rules, to help mainstream buyers get to grips with a hobbyist game, with the patina of progression through the books/films. That's done well enough, but the early games are very simple and I at least don't have any interest in re-playing those levels after the challenge of the complete game.

good to know

this will be my and my families first deck building game, so it may be ideal from your description

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with J Emmett above, but to add to the answer, I've been playing through year by year with my wife. She's an infrequent gamer, so starting with simple rules has been helpful for her.

She's also a huge Harry Potter fan, so seeing the new cards and villains added each game is really exciting for her.

But for experienced gamers who don't care as much about the trickle of theme, I would recommend starting at year 5 or 6. Except for extra set-up changes and the number of villains added, there are basically no extra rules in the game years 1-6, besides a simple dice mechanic that is limited to certain cards.

Year 7 is a big jump in difficulty and adds some complexity in a new set of rules, so don't start there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Calungsod
msg tools
GameMasterX0 wrote:
She's also a huge Harry Potter fan, so seeing the new cards and villains added each game is really exciting for her.

^This.

My wife doesn't play many games but likes to play mostly coop games because shes very competitive and gets mad when she loses. But she wasn't familiar with deck builders. However, she is a HUGE Harry Potter fan, so this sold her from the start. We did each game starting from 1 and she got excited over every new hogwarts and villain card as they were revealed. Even just reading the names of the dark arts events each time they revealed, basing the spells and events from the books and movies, she knew something bad was going to happen.

I think for any real Harry Potter fan, this game will become a classic just because how well the theme is tied in to the game without feeling like a copy and paste of Harry Potter art over an already existing game. This is a unique deck building game that applies its own mechanics and is super easy for anyone, any age to learn, while still allowing a little bit of room for advanced players to apply some sense of strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.