$30.00
Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?» Forums » Rules

Subject: Islamic Rule when troops present rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JOE LIBRANDI
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first time this has come up because in the original LTWOT game, no US troops begin in Afghanistan. In the first scenario of LABYRINTH-THE AWAKENING they do- but the country begins at POOR ALLY, not ISLAMIC RULE.

Anyway, I had six troops there when a successful Major Jihad changed the country to IR. The rules say all the US can do in IR countries is REGIME CHANGE.

Since I already have six troops there, do I need to add six additional troops, or can the six already there just perform a REGIME CHANGE operation? That doesn't seem right- to immediately go from IR to ALLY, but I don't know what these troops can do.

The only other option is for the troops to DEPLOY to the track, and then REGIME CHANGE on the next card. That also seems weird.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused. Is this a question for the base game or the exansion? If the latter, please post on the proper forum, rather than the base game. Thank you.

Labyrinth: The Awakening, 2010 – ?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joe6778 wrote:
The only other option is for the troops to DEPLOY to the track, and then REGIME CHANGE on the next card. That also seems weird.

It might seem weird but it's the correct way to play it.

The Islamist section of the rules (8.1.3) says
Quote:
Travel cells between countries, or within a country to go to ground (sleep).

but the American section of the rules (7.3.1) says
Quote:
A Deploy operation allows the US side to move any number of troops from any one location (including the Troops Track) to another.

So Islamist cells are explicitly allowed to travel to the same country but the American troops must deploy elsewhere first.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOE LIBRANDI
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
I'm confused. Is this a question for the base game or the exansion? If the latter, please post on the proper forum, rather than the base game. Thank you.

Labyrinth: The Awakening, 2010 – ?


The situation occurred in AWAKENING, but it could also happen in LTWOT.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Yang
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To reply to your question:
Rule 7.3.4 of LTWOT says that to conduct a Regime Change (a type of deploy action) you must be able to deploy six troops from a single location (those troops must not already be committed in another regime change country) to a country under Islamist rule.

In your situation, you would have to deploy six new troops into Afghanistan to perform a regime change, regardless of what you plan to do with the existing troops already there. They can stay, they can redeploy elsewhere, but they cannot be the ones to kick off the regime change with a single 3-ops card.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOE LIBRANDI
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clearing it up for me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For more information on the matter.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1000243/deploymentregime-ch...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1240874/regime-change-using...

Remember that the Jihadists need to have 5 more cells than troops so they would have to have 11 out of 15 cells in the country to pull of the Major Jihad.

At the very least you can deploy out to the Troop Track using a 1-Op card since the Regime Change has failed and is removed. Using 3-Ops to Disrupt to raise prestige (it should be 1) will be costly and will open you to plots. You roll for prestige anyway when doing a Regime Change so save the Ops for later and it can't go lower than 1.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOE LIBRANDI
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cabralicus wrote:
For more information on the matter.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1000243/deploymentregime-ch...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1240874/regime-change-using...

Remember that the Jihadists need to have 5 more cells than troops so they would have to have 11 out of 15 cells in the country to pull of the Major Jihad.

At the very least you can deploy out to the Troop Track using a 1-Op card since the Regime Change has failed and is removed. Using 3-Ops to Disrupt to raise prestige (it should be 1) will be costly and will open you to plots. You roll for prestige anyway when doing a Regime Change so save the Ops for later and it can't go lower than 1.


You can't DISRUPT in an IR country- only REGIME CHANGE.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Aslett

Houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, this is theoretically possible, but are you saying that there were at least 11 cells in Afghanistan with your six troops and that ultimately resulted in a successful major jihad to Islamist Rule? That's some bad luck there.

If that's the case, and you have troops stuck in an Islamist Rule country, you need to bring in 6 additional to regime change or deploy your troops back to the track and immediately regime change. Otherwise they're just sitting ducks who can do nothing.

I wouldn't think of it as weird. Your troops have suffered a massive military defeat and are ineffective in their current composition. Thematically, need to be rotated out with fresh troops or supplemented with additional troops to successfully overthrow the regime.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOE LIBRANDI
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saslett wrote:
I mean, this is theoretically possible, but are you saying that there were at least 11 cells in Afghanistan with your six troops and that ultimately resulted in a successful major jihad to Islamist Rule? That's some bad luck there.

If that's the case, and you have troops stuck in an Islamist Rule country, you need to bring in 6 additional to regime change or deploy your troops back to the track and immediately regime change. Otherwise they're just sitting ducks who can do nothing.

I wouldn't think of it as weird. Your troops have suffered a massive military defeat and are ineffective in their current composition. Thematically, need to be rotated out with fresh troops or supplemented with additional troops to successfully overthrow the regime.


Yeah- I'm just learning how to play The Awakening, and the Jihadist Bot kept adding cells to Afghanistan. I was trying to disrupt but couldn't keep up until MAJOR JIHAD (in a besieged regime) and ISLAMIST RULE.

I'll restart and play it right, but I was wondering what to do if and when this situation arises.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joe6778 wrote:
Cabralicus wrote:
For more information on the matter.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1000243/deploymentregime-ch...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1240874/regime-change-using...

Remember that the Jihadists need to have 5 more cells than troops so they would have to have 11 out of 15 cells in the country to pull of the Major Jihad.

At the very least you can deploy out to the Troop Track using a 1-Op card since the Regime Change has failed and is removed. Using 3-Ops to Disrupt to raise prestige (it should be 1) will be costly and will open you to plots. You roll for prestige anyway when doing a Regime Change so save the Ops for later and it can't go lower than 1.


You can't DISRUPT in an IR country- only REGIME CHANGE.


Yes you are correct. But I wouldn't even do a disrupt even if it was legal.

You can think of it thematically in that the regime change failed hard. The US lost all of its prestige in the process. The 6 troops there were ineffective and need to be bolstered with 6 reinforcements or regroup back home and perform another Regime Change under a new General's watch.

The bright side is that you can regain your troops without withdrawing since the Regime Change was removed from the Major J and all those cells in one country mean that the enemy isn't elsewhere on the map yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick McKown
Canada
Spruce Grove
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not just theoretical - happened in our game this past Monday (24 Oct 16); my friend Arn ("the Jihadist") played Opium Fields (I believe that's the name of the card) and brought in all the cells from the Funding Track to join the four in Afghanistan (so all 15 in one place!). Afghanistan was a Poor Ally after my first round Regime Change, so he pulled off a Major Jihad with six troops in country, and immediately converted it back to Islamic Rule in the round right after the Regime Change. We misread the rules and collectively decided that I could use the troops already there to immediately do another Regime Change, but playing a "1" first to Deploy out, then come back in on a "3" would have made little difference.

On the other hand US Prestige never really recovered from that blow - I don't think it ever got above "3" during the rest of the game, and ultimately, with the Plots he placed with his very last card on the last turn (one deck only) Arn got his 15th "Poor" country for the win. Ironically, Afghanistan was "Good" by then and there never were any more Islamist Rule countries after those first eight cards so Islamist resources were at "0" and "Good" resources at "1", and if Arn had failed on both the plots he would have lost. I couldn't even counter one of his last plots because the only card I had left ("The Door of Ijtihad is Closed") would have given him the win anyway!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If he has that many cells there you can't do Regime Change.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Phelps
United States
Canal Fulton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
If he has that many cells there you can't do Regime Change.


You can always conduct a Regime Change in an Islamist Rule country regardless of the number of cells there, as long as your Posture is Hard.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My bad, I had mentally reversed cells/troops - for IR, you need 5 cells>troops.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick McKown
Canada
Spruce Grove
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In retrospect, persisting in my plan of conducting a Regime Change in Afghanistan on the first round using only six troops (i.e., without going into Overstretch) after he had just placed all 15 cells there with his first card (Opium), was not a very wise move, even if it did activate the lot - could have waited 'til he had dispersed the cells enough to make it more difficult to muster 11 of them back in Afghanistan, but who knows what other mischief he'd have been up to by then.

Actually there would have been only 13 cells there when I did the Regime Change (but could only be reduced to 11 by a Disrupt with troops using my second card, i.e, still vulnerable to Major Jihad) - two cells had to have travelled on his second card, one of them to Central Asia - memorable because right after his successful Major Jihad (on his third card) he played Kazakh Strain (as his fourth card) and rolled himself a WMD. It was a busy first two rounds.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.