BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Do you own multiple copies of the same game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Chan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Whether as a collector or for another reason. I recently acquired Forbidden Stars and it has quickly risen to become one of my favourite games to play. Knowing that Fantasy Flight will no longer be producing anymore GW titles, I've been deliberating on whether to pick up a second copy in the event that a component is lost or damaged and it would be difficult to get a replacement piece otherwise.

Thoughts and comments welcome, cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
There were only two games that I owned multiple copies of, Heroscape and Space Hulk, and it was only because I wanted to be able to build bigger battlefields/boards.

I don't tend to play games with a lot of small easily lost components, but if I did, I wouldn't buy another copy of the game just for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
es

Heroscape (for terrain)
Histpry of the world (I like the ragnaor brothers edition the tea towel board, and like the gibbsons for quality).
I may own a couple of others, but if so I have just left spares round mates houses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smiley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have Hive, Hive carbon and pocket Hive.
Have several decks of Star Realms.
When pocket ogre came out as a reprint, I used to pick up a copy whenever I visited my game store. I now have six or seven copies of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2 copies of Race for the Galaxy. One for the 1st arc of expansions and another for the 2nd arc expansion. This way I don't need to sort through my deck to remove cards for one arc before shuffling in cards for the other arc. I'm lazy .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Temple
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape also quickly jumped into my mind as well. Can't get enough terrain.

I have 2 copies of Fury of Dracula 3E, with one of them still in shrink. It was a gift that I never returned, and now I'm glad I held onto it as it looks like this game might become very hard to come by in the near future. Not sure what I ultimately want to do with it though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few Kickstarters that I made print 'n' plays for that I didn't toss when I received the full copy.

I've bought Hey, That's My Fish! and For Sale to have in two locations.

I have two copies each of Star Realms and Hero Realms.

I traded for a second base game of Race for the Galaxy so I wouldn't have to keep separating the arcs.

During one swap meet I did two separate trades for Carcassonne: The Discovery because I wanted to get rid of some trash and be nice to other people.

I've accidentally bought a second copy of Dungeon Raiders and Ninja Camp when I thought I didn't have it. I bought the second Ninja Camp before the first arrived

I'm sure there are others I'm not remembering right now, but those are the main categories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only games I have duplicates of are the ones that allow you higher player counts with more copies of the games.

Ex. Star Realms and Dead Man's Draw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have multiple copies, but only where I use them (extra players, extra cards, etc) not just as a 'spare'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmbmb
I have multiple copies of Ogre, Moongha Invaders: Mad Scientists and Atomic Monsters Attack the Earth!(Only because I liked the original over the reprint), Civilization(different versions, MegaCiv!), and Catan(different editions)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmb
These days I don't buy second copies of games as spares. I used to do it before I got into gateway games and beyond, for games I really loved at the time like Hotel and Monopoly Deal.

I don't any more for various reasons: I sleeve cards, so cards are unlikely to wear out. There are so many amazing games. I can get by without one or two if really needs be. Storage space is a problem.

I do have some duplicates of modern games for various reasons: Doomtown I wanted two cores for deck construction. Some small card games I like to have a copy that stays at home and one packed for on the go. And some like Limes require multiple copies for higher player counts.

I would suggest, go with your heart! If you love this game so much, and it has minis, doesn't it? then why not grab a copy just in case. I guess there are no guarantees but once this game sells out I can imagine you might make more money than you paid for it if you ever decided you don't need the backup.

Forbidden Stars is one of those games that has tempted me but it's not my wife's cup of tea, so it's on the big list of games I would otherwise have probably bought!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Schwartzberg
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only Carcassonne because I have thrifted it three or four time for $2 each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few games that I have multiples.

Tales of the Arabian Nights. Original and Z-Man re-release
Merchant of Venus: AH version plus a PnP with updated graphics
Advanced Civilization: AH Version plus a PnP with updated graphics
Acquire: 1964 set with wood pieces and a 70's set in plastic.
Pit - because they were cheap

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape and Space Hulk for reasons previously mentioned. In a similar vein, Panzerblitz, so that I could have larger battles. Other than these, no. I don't buy 'back-up' copies, especially since used games are usually easy to find on eBay should the need ever arise to get a second copy for parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought 2 copies of Dungeon Roll to push my luck even further and delve into a 20 level dungeon. Something I wish I had 2 copies of though is Fjords to make an epic map, but that seems to be something that will never happen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Phelps
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There are two categories of games that I own multiple copies of.

1) Games where you can combine multiple sets:

-Heroscape
-X-Wing Miniatures
-Memoir 44
-etc., etc., etc.

2) Games that I have thrifted extra copies of (I don't care if I already have it, if I find another copy for a few bucks, I'm buying it; I figure I can always trade/gift them):

- Small World ($0.99)
- 7 Wonders ($1.99)
- Carcassonne (two extra copies, $2.99 each)
- Settlers of Catan (two extra copies, $2.99 each)
- Bohnanza ($0.99)
- Forbidden Island (two extra copies, $1.99 each)
- One Night Ultimate Werewolf ($0.99)
- Dixit ($2.99)
- Dixit Journey ($2.99)
- Sushi Go ($0.99)
- Machi Koro ($1.99)

Just to name a few.

Then there are games that I have and see so many copies at thrift stores that I don't even buy them anymore when I find them for a few dollars (Qwirkle, Wits & Wagers, Blokus, etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
3 x Up Front
3 x Banzai
2 x Desert War

One Up Front set for me, and one each for both of my sons. Still looking for one more original copy of Desert War, though, to complete the collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Do you own multiple copies of the same game?

Yes, this happens, whenever I buy a second (third, fourth...) copy of a game I already own for the sole purpose to give/trade/sell it away.
(right now: Tikal, Schoko & Co.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dirge the Troll wrote:

-Heroscape
-X-Wing Miniatures
-Memoir 44
-etc., etc., etc.

2) Games that I have thrifted extra copies of (I don't care if I already have it, if I find another copy for a few bucks, I'm buying it; I figure I can always trade/gift them):

- Small World ($0.99)
- 7 Wonders ($1.99)
- Bohnanza ($0.99)
- Dixit ($2.99)
- Dixit Journey ($2.99)
- Sushi Go ($0.99)
- Machi Koro ($1.99)

Just to name a few.

Then there are games that I have and see so many copies at thrift stores that I don't even buy them anymore when I find them for a few dollars (Qwirkle, Wits & Wagers, Blokus, etc.).

Where do you live? I have never found anything remotely good at our thrift stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CalicoDave
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have multiple copies of a few games:

Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie - I have 3 or 4 copies of the base set. Got the first for retail and the others for $10 when Walmart was clearing them out. There can never be enough terrain for this game.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game - Three copies of the core for this. Buying the core was cheaper than buying the TIE and X-Wing ships individually, and you get more dice, of which there's not enough in one core.

Doomtown: Reloaded - Two copies of the base game as there are only 2 copies of each card in the core while 4 copies is a play set and all the expansions had four of each card.

Warhammer: Invasion - Two copies of the base set as FFG did 1 of some cards, two of other, and three of others where three of a card is allowed in a deck. And, for the same reason, I have two copies of The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. FFG could have more of my money for some of the other LCG's but the 1/2/3 card distribution in the cores is horrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Phelps
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re4isnumber1 wrote:
Dirge the Troll wrote:

-Heroscape
-X-Wing Miniatures
-Memoir 44
-etc., etc., etc.

- Small World ($0.99)
- 7 Wonders ($1.99)
- Bohnanza ($0.99)
- Dixit ($2.99)
- Dixit Journey ($2.99)
- Sushi Go ($0.99)
- Machi Koro ($1.99)

Just to name a few.

Where do you live? I have never found anything remotely good at our thrift stores.

I live in Houston, Texas (which isn't a particularly great thrifting area or anything; that would be the Pacific Northwest, where the streets are paved with secondhand designer board games). The thing about thrift stores is you have to be persistent and go back often (90% of the time, there isn't really anything of note, but occasionally you find something nice). So, you really have to be dedicated and enjoy the thrill of the hunt. You probably aren't going to find much if you only go just every once in a while.

But oh, the fun of finding something great (and that list above is just some of the games I've found that I have multiple copies of; I have even more thrifted games that I only own a single copy of).

But I didn't find all of those games in a single day. It's been a few years now since I started being serious about thrifting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own 2 copies of Race For The Galaxy + its 1st expansion. I originally got 2 to save on shipping with plans to sell the 2nd one, but that never happened. Instead, I bought a 2nd copy of the 1st expansion, carry both around, and am able to jump into a game ASAP if I want a beginner friendly game with just the 1st exp, or a full arc 1 game with vets, all without having to put in the time and effort to sort out cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Pick up or keep the extra copy for the reasons you stated, to be sure.
For my own experience, I picked up every copy of Axis & Allies I could following its publication. It gave me thousands of extra pieces and allowed for my own expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stein Surland
Norway
Hokksund
Buskerud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, several. Amongst them are four copies of The Russian Campaign from Avalon Hill. I used them for playing Play By Mail (no, not PBEM). Yes, I know - I'm an oldtimer :-) And, I've ordered the The Russian Campaign reprint from GMT Games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I have two copies of Chess. One metal based, the other wooden based.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.