Caylus Magna Carta» Forums » General

Subject: What makes it lighter? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What makes this game shorter/lighter than regular Caylus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick and dirty:

No favour track and an accelerated end game condition which is driven by players building parts of the castle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One less resource to worry about, and you don't have to worry about monopolies on buildings as much since everyone can build their own. The random set of buildings in your hand means you can't script this game as much as the original Caylus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, no jousting, simpler castle mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shill alert: I’m a playtester from Ystari and I’m totally blinded and devoted to their cause
I hope I’ll manage to be clear enough in the following explanations… I could have just said "There are only 6 phases instead of 7, which make it simpler", but I guess it wouldn't have been enough

Concerning actions
You have more available actions during the main phase (phase 2). You can place a worker for one denier (fixed even if people passed) or pass (the first to pass gains one denier), like in Caylus. But you also have additional actions: draw a card or exchange all your cards for one denier, or build wood, stone or prestige building by spending the required resources. That’s a big difference: if you have gained the resources the turn before, you can build without carpenter, mason or architect, and not during the activation phase. The only “intermediary” builder is the lawyer you still need to build residential buildings.

Concerning buildings
You don’t have stables, so a more predictable turn order (which was also a point hard to understand for beginners, easier to be clockwise and automatic planning for first player).
You don’t have special building like joust and gate. You only have pink buildings (amongst one food, one wood, one stone and 2 deniers) and a peddler last. Note that you can't transform pink buildings into residential ones.
10 buildings are more or less directly producing/transforming one unique resource. 2 buildings (not used in the initiation rules) lawyer (for residential) and church (to buy castle batches) are just a bit more tricky. Buildings are giving resources instead of points when people visited them: the good point is that you always get something even if totally poor which is a little bit more forgiving. But it will lead also to mixed negotiation for the provost since you get this advantage only if somebody else visited you AND if your building is activated.

Resources
You have one less resource to manage: no cloth (note that without joust and royal favours, you won't regret it). The order on the road is less tricky than Caylus: to build you need the resources the turn before, no joust field (so no need of cloth the turn before), no penalty for castle if not having a batch. Only a few possible mistakes: the lawyer requires one food; the market requires one resource to sell… You will hardly say “damned, I forgot to get this!” like you can do in Caylus during the first games.
Gold can be acquired principally in the castle and is useful mainly for prestige and as a bonus (can replace any resource: unlike Caylus, you can build a batch with 3 gold for example).

Provost
The provost and the bailiff are “combined”. Like in Caylus, you can influence the provost in the order of passing. At the end of the turn, the provost advances automatically 2 steps. Funny such kind of variant (moving automatically 2 steps the bailiff) was suggested for a lighter Caylus a few days ago, but to work, the provost has to be limited somehow. Here in aggressive games, it will be the players that limit the advance of the provost; in friendlier games, it’s the end of road (the provost can only moved on cards already built) so the last buildings will always stay risky.
The provost (bailiff indeed) is not anymore a timer for the game end.

Cards
Introducing cards is bringing a nice twist to the game:
- since you can always pay one to take a new card, you can stay in competition for influencing the provost last
- holding secret information: hiding what you want to bring, but also limiting your choices of building (against analysis paralysis)
- no monopoly: since everybody has the same initial set to draw on, a building can be built several times
- and the most important point: variety. Caylus being a perfect information game, people tends to apply often the same strategy (especially on BSW) which tends to turn me over playing these scripted games (and because I believe there are much more diversity than used sometimes). Here you have sometimes to cope with the luck of draw, though the actions "exchange all your cards" could save your game for reaching the right building.

Castle building
This phase is simpler because you don’t have to think about placing a worker in the castle (indeed you build batches in the order of passing), and there are no royal favours. The player that builds the most batches gains one free gold instead of favours.
Timer: this is clearly the point overlooked in the first games. It’s the only condition to finish the game: when the castle is finished (and if you don’t build a batch a turn, 2 castle elements are removed).

I know I should be shorter but I just can't
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice detailed explanataion about what makes Magna Carta different than the original. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Osidarta wrote:
Provost
The provost and the bailiff are “combined”. Like in Caylus, you can influence the provost in the order of passing. At the end of the turn, the provost advances automatically 2 steps. Funny such kind of variant (moving automatically 2 steps the bailiff) was suggested for a lighter Caylus a few days ago, but to work, the provost has to be limited somehow.
Hey that was me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cull wrote:
Hey that was me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.