$30.00
Joshua C.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just finished reading the rulebook. I am a little less excited now, but think it has potential especially if it does well enough for an expansion or two.

I had heard two previous commenters that demoed the game. One said it was similar to Pandemic and the other had called it Arkham Horror lite.

I really enjoy Pandemic and Arkham is one of my favorite games. I also happen to be a Buffy Fan. This seems like a no brainer.

There are two minor things I noticed in the rulebook that seem less than amazing.

1. Big Bad Fight. It seems better than a fight with an Great Old One in AH, maybe more similar to a boss fight in A Touch of Evil. It seems okay, but gives me a little pause as that tends to be slightly anti-climatic and a bit of a grind.

2. Adventures. I get it, it's Arkham Lite you have to cut something, but my favorite bit is the area specific cards that you some thematic story beat. But I guess this could be added in an expansion. But I definitely see how one of the commenters said it was like pandemic.

Things that look good. The Apocalpse track, 6 plot cards per BBEG, character choices.

I think I might a agree this look more like a themed Pandemic more than an Arkham Horror Lite, but perhaps that is the same thing.

What I think I would like to see in an expansion are Location story cards, OZ in there somewhere, and for bad guys alternate timeline Willow and Xander.

There is definitely a lot left to mine for content. But I am looking forward to trying this out.

Now time for the waiting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same impressions as yourself. My problem is I love AH and I very much dislike Pandemic. So pretty torn with this one. Looking forward to seeing some gameplay videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Watson
United States
Farmington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't infer that there would be anything revolutionary here....looks like your prototypical 1-4 player co-op.

However....a big success indicator is going to be how the theme fits with some of the mechanics and card/resource play. I kept thinking "Defenders of the Realm" (yes, I know that is often compared to Pandemic) when reading the rules. We like Defenders, but setup and play is too long to warrant frequent plays.

Buffy contains less game pieces, smaller footprint, and quicker playtime (if the estimates are to be believed). Beyond that, I'm a big Buffy fan from a game theme perspective.

In any event, I'm already in on a preorder so I'm certain to find out soon enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua C.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nastywarnob wrote:
I didn't infer that there would be anything revolutionary here....looks like your prototypical 1-4 player co-op.

However....a big success indicator is going to be how the theme fits with some of the mechanics and card/resource play. I kept thinking "Defenders of the Realm" (yes, I know that is often compared to Pandemic) when reading the rules. We like Defenders, but setup and play is too long to warrant frequent plays.

Buffy contains less game pieces, smaller footprint, and quicker playtime (if the estimates are to be believed). Beyond that, I'm a big Buffy fan from a game theme perspective.

In any event, I'm already in on a preorder so I'm certain to find out soon enough.

I think you have hit the nail on the head with the DotR comparison there's is a lot of similarity. I like DotR, but my only issue with it is I don't play it enough to know where all the dang fantasy locations are.

I like the smaller footprint as well. Makes it especially good for solo. One of the reason I like the the new Reign of Cthulhu Pandemic is because of the footprint.

I would be happy with a good thematic game with nothing revolutionary.

I'm a big fan of Coop games. Somewhat because I prefer Rpgs to board games, but mostly because I don't care if I win and my wife hates to lose.

cafin8d wrote:
I have the same impressions as yourself. My problem is I love AH and I very much dislike Pandemic. So pretty torn with this one. Looking forward to seeing some gameplay videos.

Really. whoa. I mean sure you can dislike Pandemic, I'm one of those rare people that despises Catan.

I don't think this will have the immersion level of AH, but I do enjoy that the price of it is reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malifer wrote:
I like the smaller footprint as well. Makes it especially good for solo.

The footprint is the attraction for me as well. I like solo, but this might be something I can get the spouse to play, since often AH is going to be regulated to the solo table.

malifer wrote:
Really. whoa. I mean sure you can dislike Pandemic, I'm one of those rare people that despises Catan.

I don't think this will have the immersion level of AH, but I do enjoy that the price of it is reasonable.

Hey, no Catan love here either

With Pandemic vs AH, the issue for me was that I felt like I could write a piece of software that could 'solve' the optimum move for Pandemic. It's hard to know if thats actually true, but thats how I felt. Like there is always a best move and the decision space, while seemingly complex, always had a clear path for me. And so it felt like I was playing on auto-pilot.

Where-as with AH, because of the location randomness, the skill check randomness, etc, there are generally 'smart strategies' but I still feel like I am picking between multiple solid decisions and reacting tactically when they don't pan out.

It's going to be hard, I think, to tell if Buffy would capture one feeling or the other. Can't wait to start seeing some impressions from the pre-orders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Gofton
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Great feedback!

Our first expansion definitely has Oz in it! As well as Tara, Faith, Dawn, Riley and Anya!

Also Dark Willow and Spike as BIG bads. Maybe I've revealed too much...

should I also mention we'll be doing team Angel and LA expansion at some point?

Again thanks for the feedback! The expansions will have more stuff to add to the game. The licensor gave us strict rules to develop within... we did the best we could within the confines.

Thomas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Gofton
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
yes - we were forced into creating a "Mass market" playable game but we fought hard to have as much story and 'game' as we could. We relented with expansions being able to add the flavor missing (not much) but what we could in the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua C.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lynnvander wrote:
Great feedback!

Our first expansion definitely has Oz in it! As well as Tara, Faith, Dawn, Riley and Anya!

Again thanks for the feedback! The expansions will have more stuff to add to the game. The licensor gave us strict rules to develop within... we did the best we could within the confines.

Thomas

That's great news. I am still excited for the game I hope it didn't seems like I wasn't.

It must be challenging to make a licensed product. Which is why most seem less than stellar, but it looks like you guys did a really good job on this one.

And now I'm excited for the expansion I wished for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Marcinkowski
France
flag msg tools
Lynnvander wrote:
Great feedback!

Thomas

Hi Thomas, hi everyone,

Now, I am still looking forward for the game to come out, and already am for its expansion haha! But as for the rules, I have two questions if you allow me:

For instance, when it comes to the Master revealing itself, one must add one townie to the Apocalypse Track every two vampires when the specific glyph indicated is checked. Does it mean that one must add one townie to the AT that is not on the game board?

The Item Deck and the Artifact Deck are obviously two different ones. My second question is: when do you draw an Artifact Card?

I am so excited about this game coming out that I went through the Rule Book at least four times and those two questions were kind of bugging me so, I needed to ask.

No Buffy fan could ever show you enough gratitude for bringing the Scooby Gang back to life into this magnificently designed board game, obviously created by one of the likes of us.

Thank you

Dylan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.