Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've been thinking a lot about my first IA campaign as the imperial player as I start up my first PBF campaign.

I struggled against Gaarkhan. A lot. I mean, if I ever wanted to TRY and damage him, he would become focused and then charge with three dice and then attack again, and cleave, and.... yeah. Mass destruction.

I felt he cancelled out any "be next to your homies" type of effects on my units because he could just cleave them to death pretty easily. Hence I tried separating my units, but that usually failed.

The trio of heroes was Gaarkhan/Mak/Gideon. So to pile on, Gideon kept ordering Gaarkhan to attack and attack and attack.

I won the first two missions and lost the rest. I want to get better as an imperial player, so does anyone have advice on how you approach this stupid wookie?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary McCloskey
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish I knew myself. My wife has built gaarkhan in such a way he is a beast of a figure. No pun intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Accept that he'll kill your normal troopers a lot.
Place them where the heroes do not want to be.
Keep movement points, so you can separate your troopers after they profited from squad training.

Either focus him down or ignore him. He won't get a focus if he is focused. He can't become focused if he's wounded.

And if you can, stun and bleed him. If he bought wookiee fortitude he still needs strain and he's strained out a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Baker
United Kingdom
Ferndown
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
I'm not an expert at IA strategy yet, but being a melee character and dealing with all those actions you probably want to consider the following:

Stun: Royal Guard & Shock Troopers Class Card - Stunning a melee character and moving away will limit their ability to double attack or even attack once if they have no ranged weapon / endurance available.

Strain: Trandoshan Hunters are great for applying strain to heroes, I believe that the Subversive Tactics Class Deck also helps apply strain which can mitigate Gideon's ability to Command or Garkaan's ability to Charge.

Bleed: Perhaps less useful, but some figures can cause bleed such as Trandoshans and Nexus (I think). When coupled with Stuns this can effectively shut down a hero in a 4 man team. Or they risk taking extra damage for each action they make. Note Gideon cannot command a hero to remove an adverse effect such as bleed, only attack or move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best piece of advice I can give you is, kill everyone else, or kill him instantly. So in your situation I would start by trying to kill off Gideon completely, so Garkhan would only get 2 actions instead of 3 (and I think Gideon is rather weak on the HP side).

Also imo Nexus work quite nice against him, especially if you can place your other troops far away from them so he can only cleave 1 other unit. I also like Trandoshans a lot and they do work very well against him.

Like what was said before, try to position your troops in spots the Rebels don't want to be in. As Garkhaan is melee he has to move up to them and the more fatigue he takes to do so, the more actions he has to rest, or there is no charge. The brutal cleave skill requires another target to be adjacent to the attacked target and not Garhkhaan, so you can usually outmanouver his bonus attack.

I usually kill him off by combining major deployment with some saved up threat with the free troops that you get from mission events (which is imo the strategy that makes this game a cakewalk for the IP). With this amount of troops I managed to kill him off completely in one turn a few times. After that the Rebels started to not put all the gold in one character, which made him a little weaker.

So to sum it up: If you go for the kill all hero objective and Garkhaan has the skill that makes him stronger when he is wounded, try to wound everyone else before attacking him. If you want to win the game by rounds, try to kill of the weak supports completely (2 times) before turning to him. He has to do other stuff then than just attack. In any case I would try to only attack him, when you can wound or kill him in 1 or 2 turns, which is when your major free troops hit the map that you can beaf up even more with some saved up threat.

Oh and get that 2 influence card that you can use every game once to get additional threat when you kill one hero.

Also what IP class deck are you using?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using Armored Onlsaught in my new in-person campaign.

Thanks for the advice thus far. Using stun more often on the wookie probably is a good plan of attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Furcas
Italy
Serramanna
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One little thing about stuns: use them to stop actions out of the hero activation.
Gideon can't make a character attack or move if that character is stunned. The only push heroes have, if I'm wrong please correct me, is Diala's Force Throw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed that, more than many other characters, Gaarkhan is really hindered by being Wounded. He usually wants to use Charge every turn if possible. Being Wounded is a double nerf to that ability, as it reduces the number of spaces he can move, and it reduces the effectiveness of the Rest actions he'll need to use in order to keep paying the strain cost.

Of course, once he gets Unstoppable, that makes wounding him much less appealing, and I'd then probably recommend leaving him for last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D
msg tools
mbmbmb
had to laugh at this post, bc in our campaign gaarkhan was the one character that i didnt just wound, but would actually eliminate from the mission. most of this seemed to happen on the back half of the campaign though after i had more ways to deal strain and stun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lego lascott
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my campaign, the person playing Gaarkhan began each mission charging in without backup. He'd be left open to attacks after his activation, and I would bring in the hurt. I made it my mission to wound him and then eliminate him first, often ignoring the other characters to do so.

My experience was that I found Gaarkhan the least intimidating one out of the group. But maybe the person controlling him was just bad and didn't learn to change his strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I'm running an imperial campaign now. Garkhan is usually the last guy I go after, unless I have a chance to go all in on him.

If he becomes focused when hit, but he can't be focused twice. Accept that he'll get it and keep going after him until he is wounded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Baker
United Kingdom
Ferndown
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
FeyrBert wrote:
One little thing about stuns: use them to stop actions out of the hero activation.
Gideon can't make a character attack or move if that character is stunned. The only push heroes have, if I'm wrong please correct me, is Diala's Force Throw.

Correct, Stun mentions the figure stunned cannot attack or voluntarily move, but force throw is controlled by Dialla so would be considered an involuntary move for whoever her target is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
Either focus him down or ignore him. He won't get a focus if he is focused. He can't become focused if he's wounded.

And if you can, stun and bleed him. If he bought wookiee fortitude he still needs strain and he's strained out a lot.

That's from someone who played Gaarkhan against me.

Gaarkhan is a wrecking ball with Reach, Cleave and Rampage, but he often is upto his endurance in strain after his first activation for trying to defeat as many initial deployments as possible.

The strain from Relentless (Trandoshan Hunter) will then be converted to damage, and does not count towards Rage. The actual attack can then choose surges for Bleed to make Gaarkhan suffer only 2 damage, thus no focused from Rage.

Or, once Gaarkhan has already activated, focus on him. He'll become focused from Rage from suffering 3 or more damage in one attack (step 7 of the attack), but does not benefit any more if he's already focused.

Like Locu says, once Gaarkhan is wounded, he loses Rage, so the attack that wounds him can make him suffer any number of damage without giving him focused. (His hero sheet will be flipped when it is time to check for Rage.)

Like already mentioned, stunned is also good in preventing Attack actions and benefiting from out-of-activation moves and attacks. (And generally eating away rebel actions.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken VL
Belgium
Berlaar
flag msg tools
mbmb
As Imperial Player faced with Gaarkhan, I usually try to focus him down ASAP (as has been said: once he is focused he cannot gain more focus and once wounded, he can no longer gain focus). If he has the Unstoppable upgrade, it becomes more difficult and I usually leave him as the last one to wound or, should it look opportune, make him withdraw ASAP instead of just wounding him.

One of my playing groups has taken to calling him: 'the sacrificial wookie"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Li
msg tools
Military might and tech superiority have cards that cause the heroes to make attribute tests. This can be a neat way to burn focus before its used to attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan janson
msg tools
The wookie is also relative easy to wound with those two decks.

Heavy Pressure from the Subversive Tactics is also great against Gaarkhan. Especially if you can strain him out with it and do some 1 or 2 extra damage. He doesn't get his focus and if you can stun, he has to rest to get rid of the stun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.