$15.00
$5.00
$20.00
Jennifer Gwinn

Oklahoma
msg tools
I should have it in the mail in a couple days.

I mainly got it because I could use several of the miniatures in Frostgrave. But I have been curious how this game plays, along with Legend of Drizzt & TOEE. I love solo and co-op games -- have several; and I've always been into D&D since childhood in the 80's.

So here are some questions.

I see that Legend of DRizzt is more highly rated, and people often talk about this one being their favorite. I am wondering what changed with the release of Drizzt.. I see that Ravenloft was the first. And can these changes be incorporated into my Ravenloft with information/files from this site?

Can I make Ravenloft as fun as Drizzt? Again, I probalby would of went with Drizzt but I could use all the minis from Ravenloft so I went with it first.

Also, I hear about this campaign system in TOEE and was wondering if I could add that to Ravenloft without having to purchase TOEE. I don't have a lot of use right now for the TOEE minis.

Am I going to be happy playign this game or am I missing out on Drizzt and TOEE campaign system?

Thanks,
Jennifer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters.
mbmbmbmb
If I can answer with my opinions:

I think Drizzt is more highly rated because there is a lot more variety to the tiles and harder monsters (but the characters are more powerful then, too.) Ravenloft contains pretty much grey stone tiles, and that's about it. HOWEVER, Ravenloft really captures the theme and flavor of the setting a bit more than Drizzt does, IMO.

There really isn't much of a change as far as gameplay, or rule-wise between the two, as far as I can remember.

I don't have ToEE so cannot comment on the campaign rules within it, but they should be compatible with all the games.

I have the three first ones (Ravenloft, Ashardalon, Drizzt) and they are all equally good games, and interchangeable. (Though, again, the Drizzt characters are more powerful than the others, so may need to be tinkered with as far as difficulty.)

Hope you enjoy your purchase!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiff Jaffa
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravenloft is my favorite of the 4. think it's the undead theme. It's also the hardest.
Woa has a campaign system but I found a bit bland.
Drizzt has more interesting hero powers (stances etc) also more mission and tile varieties. There are competitive missions but we prefer the coop aspect. We found it significantly easier than the others as the heroes are very powerful.
Toee has the most advanced campaign system which is good but tbh haven't played it a lot (it's my brothers)
Ultimately they are all good coop games and if you get more than 1 you can mix and match heroes and monsters.
Also there are tons of mods and flies on here that can add to any of the games. I recommend the special event cards for named rooms for ravenloft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played all four games, and I like Ravenloft the best.
* First one i played.
* I prefer the theme of the undead.
* The scenarios are fun and varied (not that the others aren't.)
* As I got Drizzt and Ashardalon, I felt they added some improvements, but also some encumbrance, and took away from the streamlined nature of the game, while not being different enough to warrant playing/keeping.
* I do have ToEE and in theory I like the campaign mode but sometimes there's just something about putting a scenario on the table.

That said, they're all great games - the main questions for me are, which theme do I like best, and are they different enough to warrant having multiples?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ruescher
United States
West Milford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
All 4 games can kick your butt, but Ravenloft enjoys it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravenloft while having very interesting mechanics, has a stale "bare bones" implementation of these mechanics. It very quickly starts to become rote, by the numbers, repetitive, predictable and effectively boring. Drizzt did a lot to mix things up with and make the game more interesting. From monsters that were less predictable, to heroes that could do things during monster turns, to tiles that make a difference on the map, to interesting missions (including traitor mechanics). The Encounter deck isn't as punishing either (most frustrating part of Ravenloft).

It's also "easier" since the heroes are tougher, so new players tend to like it more. I never felt Ravenloft was that terribly difficult, but some players found it frustrating.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

It's also "easier" since the heroes are tougher, so new players tend to like it more. I never felt Ravenloft was that terribly difficult, but some players found it frustrating.

-shnar

I'm one of the ones who thinks that Ravenloft is actually very well balanced in terms of difficulty (but bear in mind I haven't played any of the others).

I think that most people consider the game as difficult because the encounter deck feels punishing and it feels as if you are constantly being attacked. The combination of the monster attacking first and the encounter card doing damage to you means that you can lose a boatload of hitpoints without having done anything - hence leading to that feeling of frustration.

However, despite that punishing encounter deck, I find that a lot of my games go down to the wire with victory or defeat in some cases coming down to a final throw of the dice or a 50:50 guess. I recall our group laughing at our fighter after he needed to roll a 9 on his attack to kill the boss and win the game - but only rolling an 8 (whereupon we lost as we were out of healing surges). Or another situation where we were trying to calm down the golem and had to guess which of 2 items to show the golem - one of which would have won us the game and the other which would have lost us the game (again, as we were out of healing surges and a downed PC was due to act next).

The number of close games that I have had indicate that the game was balanced with the punishing encounter deck in mind and that, while the game isn't easy, nor is it as difficult as the punishing encounter deck would make you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Gwinn

Oklahoma
msg tools
Thanks for all the replies. I'm definitely interested in giving it a go, despite how punishing it is. Maybe I can make some house rules to make the game more interesting or not as punishing. Or look at the hundreds of posts here, like in the variants section. Really interested in painting these figures and giving it a whirl.

Thanks again for the replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just purchased WoA and ToEE and have had the chance to play WoA once.

It seems that, despite the campaign mode, ToEE is much different than the other 3 in how the tiles, traps, and monsters spawn.

I really want to print out some of the variant stuff that ninjadorg and others have created to make campaigns out of the combination of the games.

I LOVE that you can use the heroes from any of the games with the other games, but I will admit that the Drizzt heroes are pretty powerful and can seem a bit unbalanced when using them in the other games (well the little I have done it to this point).

My favorite is still Ravenloft, but of course I need more plays in the other games. I was able to obtain unopened copies off all the Dungeon Command games and have added the components and monsters to the recommened games each.

TBH I am a total fanboi of the series. We played the Ravenloft module a bunch in D&D when I was a kid (back when we still did THACO for armor..) and it just brings back a ton of nostalgia.

To me the encounters can be very hard, but damn I love them. I think what happens for too many people is they run and the problems stack up. We have found the best approach is kill kill kill and use the XPs to cancel encounter cards as needed.

I keep hearing there are better crawls out there, but other than Descent R2, I am yet to have anyone say anything definitive.

Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavetoad wrote:
I think what happens for too many people is they run and the problems stack up. We have found the best approach is kill kill kill and use the XPs to cancel encounter cards as needed.

Run? wow

It's a dungeon crawl. When you see a monster, you're supposed to charge at it head on with no regard for personal safety or strategy!

PS I do have a fondness for fighter/barbarian types in RPGs. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Google "Gloom of Kilforth"!
badge
Google "Gloom of Kilforth"!
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamegeekess wrote:
Can I make Ravenloft as fun as Drizzt?

Just double your hero's HP and let them attack as often as you feel like. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferry Van der schans
Netherlands
Ridderkerk
The
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I only own Ravenloft. I choose it because of the undead theme instead of the demonic theme (WoA), or Elemental Theme (ToEE), or Drizzt Theme (LoD).
I don't know the books of Drizzt and I could picture myself more fighting a vampire and undead then anything else.
But the game is pretty harsh. It can smack you right and left. And when you are down and out, it still keeps comming.
But this all is quite balanced in the long run.

I played a few games with people new to the game and one of the big plusses of it is the fact the system is so easy to learn. And when you know the system, the game flows very nicely. The way I see Ravenloft is the difficulty is just right. Most of the time I win at the skin of my teeth or just lose trying when I am so close to victory.
But when you play wisely you have a decent shot at winning. Save your AoE-effects to take out mobs and save your multiple damage effects for the bosses and most of the time you have a good chance of making it.

I heard Drizzt was easier because the heroes where better. That is one of the big reasons I will not buy that game. Ravenloft feels epic when pulling a win with a crucial dieroll. Take that out of the game, and you will miss a big load of fun, I think. I would have to play it to confirm this, but I would likely not play it anytime soon. I love my Ravenloft too much at the moment to delve into another game in the serie. Maybe sometime in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if I can fairly comment. I see that my lord of D%D board gaming is watching.... (I so need to get your town and encounter cards printed...)

I don't know if LoD has overpowered characters. First time I ran through it with a buddy we got smoked. I think it was adventure 2 from the book.

Second time, we got smoked a bit less. But, we had a great time, and for both adventures we blame the dice, or the mat, or the moon, or whatnot!

I guess I spoke to, at that time, just straight up adding any character to any game. I now admit, I was clueless and just starstruck at the concept.

I do love how you can do that, but... it's so dependent on how a player chooses a monster's movement. I have acquired all of the Dungeon Command series and added them to my games (much to my chargin, last time we played LoD we kept drawing the worst of the worst).

I haven't played ToEE yet, but it definitely seems like it's own thing as far as the play and theme. If it's not for you, don't feel badly. Start elsewhere.

WoA introduces a bit of a campaign (which ToEE is a complete campaign with different rules and bits) that ninjadorg, chromatic, and others use to create a seemingly amazing adventure world I need to dive into further.

You know the LoD theme and have your reservations. Obviously the Dungeon Command stuff is hard to come by since they are out of print.

It seems you are very self aware for what you want/need in a game/system.
All I can say is pursue it. You know what you want. Go get it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters.
mbmbmbmb
Cavetoad wrote:

I don't know if LoD has overpowered characters. First time I ran through it with a buddy we got smoked. I think it was adventure 2 from the book.

I think the reason LoD's characters are described as overpowered are in comparison to the other games' characters/monsters. The LoD characters hit harder more often, and with greater powers. And so LoD ups the monsters with more HPs, or harder to hit AC/More damage. However, when porting them into the first two games (RL and WoA,) they seem overpowered in comparison with both THOSE characters, and the monsters they are battling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh aird
msg tools
If anyone wants anything file wise....Ive got 176 heroes and every monster card ever designed by the gamers who contributed so much....After buying the artcow decks...I then did my own printing of every hero ever done,same with the monsters....managed to get em all on my database here,so offer is here for anyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.