Subject: entry point in GCACW series rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Burden
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is Battle Above the Clouds as an entry point in the GCACW series?

Thanks,
turks1966
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent.

Specifically:
* Is in print
* One of the more "stand alone" titles in the series, although they are all stand alone
* Is more balanced between the Union and Confederate units than many of the eastern theatre games.
* Has a nice mix of smaller and larger scenarios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that after having played Battle Above the Clouds and Stonewall Jackson's Way II pretty extensively, I think that SJWII is a better entry point for the following reasons:

1. Terrain seems to be easier than BAC for new players (personal opinion).
2. There are fewer module specific rules in SJWII -- BAC has more special exceptions to the Standard Rules and some of them can be a pain to remember.
3. There are TWO modules in SJWII -- so you get a *lot* more content, including multiple full-campaign scenarios.
4. The full campaign in SJWII for 1861 (All Green Alike) is very short compared to the Advanced games in BAC, making SJWII a great first-timer module for the advanced (campaign) game, too.
5. The All Green Alike module in SJWII has multiple "Advanced Game" scenarios of shorter and longer lengths.
6. SJWII is still in print (IIRC) for about the same price as BAC.
7. Whilst both of the intro scenarios in each module are good for learning, I think SJWII has more interesting ones (personal opinion).
8. If you end up collecting the whole system, SJWII's map will integrate into the maps from the other modules to give you a large theater of war -- for which it is rumored there will be some scenarios to combine maps from different modules (there were some already, but more and larger ones to come). BAC's maps currently are only useful for it's module alone.

Others may disagree, but if you can only buy one, I would highly recommend SJWII as one of the best beginner modules for the series.

Edit: Finished #5 and corrected some grammar issues. Also addded #8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Pence
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Chris beat me to it. laugh I concur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert lindsay
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
The one downside to SJWII is that some scenarios require you to have maps from the other games in the series. This can be annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane P
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
What if you've never played any civil war wargame (but I'm a veteran of WW2 gaming), your sister-in-law lives 20 minutes from Chickamauga/Lookout Mountain, and you want to get familiar with this title because you visit Chickamauga regularly (I get to ride my bicycle around it every year, but I digress.)

I really want to see the battlefield in a new way via a game about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Then you'll want BAC.

It would be nice, I think, to ride, drive, or hike around the area with a copy of the BAC map (or a duplicate).

These games are rich in history, and a good gateway into understanding the campaigns (and I'm primarily a WWII guy, too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.