Recommend
15 
 Thumb up
 Hide
39 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

StarCraft: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: FFG, take all the time you need rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: sci-fi [+] computer_game [+] [View All]
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My excitement for this game is off the charts. However, I just want to express my opinion to FFG, to take all the time you need in getting this game out.

In saying this, I don't have any reason to believe you are rushing it now, or that you aren't already trying to make the best game you can (I'm sure you are).

I just want to say, "Take all the time you need," in case you are feeling any pressure for some reason. (For example, I've seen a lot of people complaining about delays, etc.) I personally am willing to wait as long as necessary, if it will mean the result is the classic board game we're all hoping it will be.

If you agree with my opinion (or you don't) feel free to add to this post.

[Edited: thread title]
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A petition to FFG -- Take all the time you need
I'd have to second this. I'm as excited as the next guy for this to come out, but I'd want to see this come out as the best that it can be Not saying it won't be on the current release date (it very well COULD be), just saying "don't rush it. If you build it, we will come, but if you build it RIGHT, we will keep coming back!"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they should take 82.3% of the time they need.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. And this is probably one of the few AT games that I am really looking forward to.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed! Actually - take 130% of the time needed, for extra playtesting to really make sure the different sides are reasonably even strength.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander E. Stevens
Latvia
Rīga
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree as well. StarCraft itself took a long time to finally come out, but all the time and work translated directly into quality, with only a few minor exceptions (which were patched nicely.)

Quality is the utmost priority.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Consider Phlebas
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree! Do it right. However, if you can do it right sooner rather than later that's OK, too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
quantumplation wrote:
I agree as well. StarCraft itself took a long time to finally come out, but all the time and work translated directly into quality, with only a few minor exceptions (which were patched nicely.)

Quality is the utmost priority.
Yeah, that's something I've always admired about Blizzard. Probably because they took extra time, Starcraft the PC game was popular for years, rather than just a few months like most PC games. In the long run they must have made more money that way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And while Blizzard and FFG are working together there's always that glimmer of hope that they'll do a Diablo board game. (Diablo II would be my ultimate choice of course.)

Perhaps one day Diablo III will come out, with a board game to accompany.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McKeever
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't matter to me when it comes out.

I will buy it IF AND ONLY IF it is good.

And major negative karma if it's not good. I <3 Starcraft. Don't mess it up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam B
United Kingdom
cheshire
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Let's just hope it is out before Starcraft 2! Blizzard are going to hopefully anounce it this autumn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dangervacuum wrote:
Let's just hope it is out before Starcraft 2! Blizzard are going to hopefully anounce it this autumn.
Wow, that's great news.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cull wrote:
Starcraft the PC game was popular for years...

What do you mean was popular? My understanding is that it's STILL fairly popular. Maybe not quite up there with things like Halo and stuff, but as far as RTS games go, I wouldn't be surprised if it's still the "#1 RTS game" still available.

Heck, my 16-year-old brother still loves playing it; I first bought it 10 years ago when he wasn't even old enough to know what to do, and now he's a mean fightin' machine (while I haven't been able to play in awhile, so I'm very very very rusty).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes...this game will be anticipated by all...who have ever played this PC Game.

I can (hardly) wait for Fantasy Flight to design and play test the hell out of this game before releasing to the public...us Geekers!

I want the concept to be on target and capture the essence of STARCRAFT!

It’s time to shine Fantasy Flight…go for the GOLD on this one….pleazzzze!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chrees M
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bluebehir wrote:
And while Blizzard and FFG are working together there's always that glimmer of hope that they'll do a Diablo board game. (Diablo II would be my ultimate choice of course.)

Perhaps one day Diablo III will come out, with a board game to accompany.


Don't tempt me! I'd love a Diablo 2 game where, ala World of Warcraft (or other questing games) you can go around, level your character, find equipment, advance the skill trees, and so on. I mean if they could make it so the silly builds worked (Melee-Mancer, Java-Barb, Suicide-a-din) it would be heaven.

I don't mind them taking more time, but please release more info. Maybe sculpt shots, some of the rule artwork, maybe even the alpha/beta rules, so we can look-see at things.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
cull wrote:
Starcraft the PC game was popular for years...

What do you mean was popular? My understanding is that it's STILL fairly popular. Maybe not quite up there with things like Halo and stuff, but as far as RTS games go, I wouldn't be surprised if it's still the "#1 RTS game" still available.


Personally you may have of course a different opinion, but concerning RTS popularity, the Age of Empires series from Microsoft or the Command & Conquer series from EA Games are superior.

If a game is successful it has sequels (and expansions), for Starcraft there weren't any (if I'm not mistaken).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
goodsound wrote:
If a game is successful it has sequels (and expansions)


That depends on the company.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
goodsound wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
cull wrote:
Starcraft the PC game was popular for years...

What do you mean was popular? My understanding is that it's STILL fairly popular. Maybe not quite up there with things like Halo and stuff, but as far as RTS games go, I wouldn't be surprised if it's still the "#1 RTS game" still available.


Personally you may have of course a different opinion, but concerning RTS popularity, the Age of Empires series from Microsoft or the Command & Conquer series from EA Games are superior.

I agree that we have different opinions (which is just fine and dandy). I find Age of Empires to be dreadfully boring, personally. Command and Conquer was OK, but even that only held my interest for so long.

StarCraft (and to a lesser degree, WarCraft) held my interest for MUCH longer. In fact, I still like StarCraft, I just don't have the time to play it as much anymore, alas.

Quote:
If a game is successful it has sequels (and expansions), for Starcraft there weren't any (if I'm not mistaken).

I disagree with this. In some cases, success leads to a sequel. However, I would submit that in most cases, a sequel means that the original did well, but is starting to wane and a sequel is needed to inject new life into it.

StarCraft, even nearly 10 years after it's release, still sells in stores; obviously not nearly what it did 10 years ago, but the fact that people still PLAY it regularly is just as much a testament to how successful it is; sequels more often than not are just created to milk more money out of a tired series. (and because of the way the market works, often succeed in their goal). However, StarCraft, while a sequel would be cool, still has life on it's own.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander E. Stevens
Latvia
Rīga
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
goodsound wrote:

If a game is successful it has sequels (and expansions), for Starcraft there weren't any (if I'm not mistaken).


Broodwar was the expansion for Starcraft, and it was quite well received.

Starcraft is essentially a national Sport in Korea, where it is even televised.

The delicate nature of just exactly how succesful StarCraft is has actually detered a sequel, to some degree. It is generally speculated, though, that the sequel will be announced in the very near future. Blizzard has always been a company that tries to focus much time on single releases, rather than throwing a onslaught of games simultaneously, and they have three seperate universes to work on.

In general, I think it's pretty ridiculous to imply that StarCraft was not succesful.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spare Tire
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Starcraft is essentially a national Sport in Korea, where it is even televised.


Speaking of Korea - isn't Blizzard supposed to be making some kind of *big* announcement in Korea today?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander E. Stevens
Latvia
Rīga
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SpareTire wrote:
Quote:
Starcraft is essentially a national Sport in Korea, where it is even televised.


Speaking of Korea - isn't Blizzard supposed to be making some kind of *big* announcement in Korea today?



19th. You'll notice the frontpage for www.blizzard.com is doing a daily countdown of sorts, with a cover and quote of each of their past games chronologically.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG, take all the time you need just don't take as much time as Blizzard is taking to release Starcraft 2. shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played StarCraft the PC game but I'm excited about anything new from FFG.
If the early reviews are good I'll be all over it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gordon seahorn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Vaughn wrote:
I've never played StarCraft the PC game but I'm excited about anything new from FFG.


I've never played the PC game either, but I'm always up for a well-done, atmospheric SF board game, and this one might just fit the bill.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Avatar
I'm old and thus confused.

Has there been a single board-game-base-on-a-computer-game that's been any good at all...ever?

That doesn't mean it can't happen, but if StarCraft: The Board Game IS actually a good game, it is almost guarenteed that the reason it is fun will not be the same reason that the PC game was fun.

The excitement seems on par with assuming that Doughnuts: The Board Game will be good just because the food is good.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.