Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Cody,

Not sure if you read all these posts, but I gotta say that Xia looks incredible! I have always been a fan of the space-themed sci-fi sandbox computer games (Starflight, Privateer, Freelancer, ...) and have been looking for a boardgame that captures this feel. It would seem that Xia is that game. Thanks for creating such a great-looking and theme-rich game. I am very much looking forward to playing it.

Since I just recently found out about Xia, I sadly missed out on the Kickstarter campaigns (I would have happily backed both), but I look forward to getting copies of Xia and the expansion when they become available. That being said, I was wondering what the plans were on another printing run of the game and any changes you were planning to make in it (player board thickness, manual updates, extra dice, ... etc.). Also, when will the expansion become available to those that missed the Kickstarter campaign?

I also enjoy the story that develops as you play through the flavor of the mission cards and I really like the theme that the "Envoy" cards add to the game. Because of this, I was wondering if there was any way you might be willing to make those cards available either separately or in a future printing. I'm really hoping that might be the case because it would be a bummer to have missed them simply because I was not aware of the Kickstarter at the time.

Thanks again for bringing that sci-fi sandbox experience to the boardgaming world! You did a great job and I'm hoping to play this game soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xia is available on Amazon right now. No changes were made in the KS, so buying it now or later is the same.

The expansion is due to be delivered to backers in March. It should be available shortly thereafter.

Some backers wanted the Envoy missions made available during the last campaign, but Cody stayed firm that they would never be made available again, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Siebenthall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although not quite the same, you could make your own Envoy card if you end up sleeving your cards. Simply slip a photo of the Envoy card in front of an existing one. I'm guessing someone has posted the front of the Envoy card somewhere.

Another option is just use a proxy.

This won't satisfy a completionist need, but will add the card to your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did some checking and it looks like there is a 2nd print run of the game that included spelling corrections (Heros -> Heroes, etc.), different card stock for ship mats (to prevent warping), and better paint job on models. Is this the version that is being sold on Amazon right now?

I would have happily backed this project had I known about it at the time. So it's a bummer I missed the "Envoy" cards as they would have added a fun story dimension to the theme of the game.

Thanks for the quick reply and helpful info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baraiha wrote:
Although not quite the same, you could make your own Envoy card if you end up sleeving your cards. Simply slip a photo of the Envoy card in front of an existing one. I'm guessing someone has posted the front of the Envoy card somewhere.

Another option is just use a proxy.

This won't satisfy a completionist need, but will add the card to your game.

Thanks for the good ideas. Although not optimal, I might consider this option if there is a good quality version of the card I can print out. I would consider myself a realist that has completionist tendencies. In addition to playing games, I really enjoy the art and design that goes into a lot of games. My gaming shelf is as much practical as it is aesthetic. That being said, I really like to have all the officially printed and produced cards & components for any particular game. The fact that I am unable to get them simply because I was not aware of the campaign at the time is an unfortunate let down. However, although it would be nice to have, I choose to focus on all the great things this game has to offer rather than the small extras that are no longer available. Besides, it sounds like the 2nd printing has better ship mats and painting on the models and I would choose that over the extra Envoy cards since there are ways to proxy or make my own cards anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh you can still get them. If you offer me a few thousand dollars, I'll gladly sell you my KS edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacob, In addition to having completionist tendencies, I am also a realist. I would have backed this campaign and gotten the "Envoy" cards, but I would not have paid the extra $25 for the bonus ship model and I would be fine with that. On a side note, I am shocked at the prices people are trying to sell this game for when it can be ordered from Amazon for much less than they are trying to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Thanks for the good ideas. Although not optimal, I might consider this option if there is a good quality version of the card I can print out.
This will not be an option, at least not in any way that can be talked about on BGG.

Quote:
Besides, it sounds like the 2nd printing has better ship mats and painting on the models and I would choose that over the extra Envoy cards since there are ways to proxy or make my own cards anyway.
I'm not sure if the ships have better paintjobs or not, I've never seen them side by side, and honestly I'm not even sure if I've heard that said before... Can anyone actually confirm this? I wouldn't exactly say the shipmats are better, but if you live somewhere that the originals warp, than it's certainly an improvement. Since mine never warped I prefer the thicker cut.

Realistically you're unlikely to ever have the actual Envoy cards. However if you meet someone who has them, I encourage you photo them, or copy the wording and make your own. Normally I don't sleeve cards in my games, unless they really need it. Since I had to sleeve cards to print and playtest the expansion, I sleeved my Xia game, and it's certainly wouldn't be hard at this point to to simply start making my own missions.

While it's nice to have more peaceful missions for Xia, the Envoy missions do not affect the game. Honestly I think you're better off having 2 extra cards for each type of mission that exists in the base game than having another type, just because of the way missions interact. Obviously having the Envoy missions plus those missions is likely even better, but at some point a deck becomes too big, and at that point you would have to make some cuts. Honestly considering all the options in the base+expansion, the Envoy would be towards the top of the chopping block for me.

With Base+Expansion there are 5 types of peaceful mission, and 5 types of Outlaw mission, and there's Envoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
I'm not sure if the ships have better paintjobs or not, I've never seen them side by side, and honestly I'm not even sure if I've heard that said before... Can anyone actually confirm this?

I have compared them side by side, and the 2nd printing's paint jobs are marginally better (10 to 10 percent better if I had to quantify).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
Jacob, In addition to having completionist tendencies, I am also a realist. I would have backed this campaign and gotten the "Envoy" cards, but I would not have paid the extra $25 for the bonus ship model and I would be fine with that. On a side note, I am shocked at the prices people are trying to sell this game for when it can be ordered from Amazon for much less than they are trying to get.

It depends on how much of a completionist one wants to be. I missed the original KS as well, so my KS copy was bought at a premium because of my completionist tendencies.

I was joking, and basically saying keep an eye on the secondary market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
ChromiumAgeCollector wrote:
(10 to 10 percent better if I had to quantify).

That's a pretty narrowly specific range
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
ChromiumAgeCollector wrote:
(10 to 10 percent better if I had to quantify).

That's a pretty narrowly specific range

LOL!!!

True! I mean 10-20%...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
I'm not sure if the ships have better paintjobs or not, I've never seen them side by side, and honestly I'm not even sure if I've heard that said before... Can anyone actually confirm this?

Here is where I read it: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22990056#22990056

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:

I bought a 2nd print run copy out of curiosity since I love the game and don't mind paying twice for it, plus I'm a bit OCD about the player boards matching the expansion. I can confirm that the 2nd print run minis are better painted. The 1st run minis are a bit dirty and the details aren't as carefully applied by comparison. Nothing horrible but there's a definite difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting scans of the Envoy cards could prove to be difficult as well as Cody specifically said he doesn't want this to happen. (And he usually provides digital stuff for most parts of the game himself).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotte M-R
Canada
Barrie
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lifepawn wrote:
I backed the 2nd KS for both the base game and expansion even though I could have gotten the base game online at the time. Figuring if I got them at the same time there wouldn't be any printing inconsistencies. Then I was sent the base game early when they decided to clear out leftover first printing stock from Amazon. Am I reading correctly that the expansion and 2nd printing (that I thought I was getting) will have better component quality and errata? I hope people enjoy the superior 2nd printing that my KS money paid for.

My understanding is that you got the 2nd printing - I don't think the 1st printing has been in stock anywhere for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You got the second printing.

The KS printing was sold out after a few months of the original printing, and was actually going for a fairly large amount online. Over $200 at one point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Randy!

Sorry for the late reply - I usually do read and reply to the posts here, it's just been a busy couple of months in my life, haha!

Derek and the other posters have basically covered everything of consequence I think? I'm sorry about the Envoy cards - I think if you're looking at getting the expansion in the future, you won't miss them though

Thanks for your interest, and thanks everyone for being such an awesome community and fielding all these questions!

Cheers, -Cody

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.