Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S Pozun
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We stared at the rules, and the wording changes for Kobolds in 2.0 and just couldn't figure it out...

We are in the Delve (using the new mobile app), 3 players, and we clear the first room of one of the encounters, and we open a door to the next room. It says place the Kobolds.

We ended up placing 8 minions and 2 masters in the room.

Is that right? We weren't sure if we were supposed to place the minions of not?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallan Greybe
msg tools
All of the passive text still applies during RTL so unless the app explicitly says otherwise, you should only place the Kobold masters.

The biggest question then would be when the minion Kobolds spawn. That could mean every Overlord turn, i.e. every time a monster activates, or it could mean only during the Kobolds' activation. There's a button right at the top of the activation card that you can press to have any special rules explained that may tell you, otherwise there's good reasons to do either: every monster activation for more challenge and to make up for a lack of OL; every Kobold activation to make it a little easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Pozun
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatGuyMontag wrote:
All of the passive text still applies during RTL so unless the app explicitly says otherwise, you should only place the Kobold masters.

The biggest question then would be when the minion Kobolds spawn. That could mean every Overlord turn, i.e. every time a monster activates, or it could mean only during the Kobolds' activation. There's a button right at the top of the activation card that you can press to have any special rules explained that may tell you, otherwise there's good reasons to do either: every monster activation for more challenge and to make up for a lack of OL; every Kobold activation to make it a little easier.

We had found some text somewhere (maybe it was in the app), that said something to the effect of: don't place minions during initial setup, but do place the minions if the Kobolds are placed during the quest. I can't remember where we read that, but it caused the confusion. It really sounded like if we enter a room through a door and are asked to place kobolds, that we should place the minions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ozga
msg tools
mbmb
All information is in the game. If kobolds are placed during setup phase you place only masters. If they appear in any other way you place whole group.
You place minion kobold next to master when kobold group activates. Yes, minions can activate in that round.

Setup is when game instructs you to place new tiles and monsters. After it you see message "Setup completed". So if you open a door you place only master kobolds. But if just a the beginning of round game instructs you to place kobold group somewhere you place minions also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Pozun
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
are you sure set up is when you open a door in delve..?

i had the same situation last night..i went with the whole group

the whole map is set up in delve from the 1st room...

some delve room have all the monsters on the map from the start
some spawn monsters as you go..
some have doors but still map visable behind them...
opening doors sometimes triggers events

so to me opening a door is a trigger and the the rules say if a trigger happens place the whole group..

Delve map in questions
7 door 10 door 12
was the garden path one ice room and fire room one i think...

1st start/set up tile had the bane spider then a door had this been kobolds in this room to me the setup stage i'd have only done 2...kobold masters

RTL "campaign" games... when you open doors you tend to place map and monsters so again a "setup phase"

i'd argue because the map is already setup its not a setup phase but a trigger action that brought the Kobolds on... so full group

also i think 2 masters would be way to easy for my scout or mage to take out before the kobold reacted..and spawned more..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Pozun
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely confusing! We put the whole group down and we still completed the room on hard mode, BARELY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
Setup is not "when you open a door" Setup is the series of instructions just before "Setup complete".

It's very easy to identify when a Setup phase happens. Most often these phases come when you place new map tiles. Chances are if you placed new map tiles and then the game told you to place the "Kobold group", it's a setup phase so you don't place the minions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.