4 Posts

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mission 4: Minion movement question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Feet_of_Clay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

The mission 4 minion movement rules indicate minions should move 1 space closer to the bomb favouring the blue/green axis. This results in minions hitting a lot of oil.
If moving in the red/yellow axis would result in the minion hitting some oil and sliding to a spot closer to the bomb would you choose to do that instead. And conversely in moving in the blue/green axis would hit some oil and slide the minion further away from the bomb would you instead move in the red/yellow axis.

We played whichever option ended with the minion being closer to the bomb. But my question is: are minions that clever?

As I noticed a result of the minions sticking to mainly the blue/green axis results in them massing in your way ahead of you rather than all charging towards the lava... so lots of the time they are more of a nuisance staying up field in the blue/green... Even if a red/yellow move over oil would get them 1 or 2 spaces closer to the bomb!

I hope this makes sense? Thanks in advance for your answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe mission 4 is 'Gauntlet' and minions move down towards the far end of the board at 3 squares a turn.

It sounds like you're talking to mission 5. For Mission 5, there was a typo and the crystal compass should be rotated 90 degrees so that the green arrow is pointing towards the wall of lava.

This is covered in the FAQ on our website and Rodney goes over it here as well:

https://youtu.be/Odaq257lJyQ?t=1m45s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feet_of_Clay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Ahhhh!!! That makes much more sense!! Can't believe I made a rookie error like not checking the FAQ!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Taylor
Australia
flag msg tools
In addition to the above, If I'm not mistaken, you don't take oil sliding into account when calculating the shortest path. Minions aren't that smart!

My interpretation of the rules:
Move minions one at a time, beginning with the closest minions to the bomb and ended with the furthest away minions.

For each minion:
Pick the direction that has the least distance to the bomb. If perfectly diagonal, favour the direction that is unblocked. If perfectly diagonal AND both directions are unblocked, favour the blue/green axis.
Step in this direction, and slide the minion if it happens to be standing on oil.

If two minions are the same distance from the bomb and wish to move into the same space, move the one which would move along the blue/green axis in priority over the other one. If they are competing along the same axis (ie, they want to move towards each other) then players may choose. I'm thinking of house-ruling this rare scenario as red+blue directions win as tie-breakers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.