Subject: Balance between MM and card events rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Game Junkie
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
I am getting ready for my first play and I wonder how often people use cards for MM instead of card events.

One of the reasons I didn't like another CDG like 1960: The Making of the President was that choosing the event almost always looked like the best option.

Any comments from those of you who have already played the game?

Edit: typo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll absolutely need to play some cards for their MM instead of the events. Trying to figure out which events to bypass is the most difficult decision in the game, but you cannot win without completing actions with MM. Also, using a card for lower MM can bump you forward in the turn order, allowing you to grab that last mine or build a factory next to your opponent's houses before he can react.

Also, I find it smart to keep an eye on the headlines. If you have cards that combo off each other, it may be wise to hold onto them and play them in an order that benefits you. Your opponents may inadvertently help you too, so stay wary.

Next, beware the riot. Do your best to position yourself on the unrest track as the riot instigator and use it to level your opponents. Consider taking the Mob Boss roll mid to late game and using its ability to wipe out houses right before the elections.

Last, make sure you have some empty city lots to account for immigrants. Place them strategically and the resulting housing boom can swing an election in your favor. If you forget (as I often do), the ensuing riot will urge you not to repeat that mistake.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Junkie
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the insight.

I cannot wait to try the game. It looks terrific!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.