Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to choose between the 2, both have some sort of card selecting action mechanism.

All thoughts and input greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eustice

Wichita Falls
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and my group loves Concordia. Some people in my group say its their favorite game in my collection. I have not had anyone in my group have praises that high for Puerto Rico.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omen
msg tools
mbmbmb
First, both games are great. I think I slightly prefer Concordia, because of the fiddeliness of Puerto Rico's setup (among other things you have to count about 50 colonists and set the rest aside).
On the other hand Puerto Rico has more player interaction, as almost all roles affect other players, while only few of Concordia's cards have any direct effect on the other players. This makes Puerto Rico far less plannable although luck is minimal in both games.
I have played Concordia with 2 to 4 players and Puerto Rico with 3 to 4 players. Both games worked well with those player counts. The two player rules for Puerto Rico seem to be an afterthought, but I have not played it with two players, so I cannot comment on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Difference between Puerto Rico and Concordia's action selection is that in PR everyone gets to perform the same action a player selects from a common area but in Concordia only the player selecting the card from their hand gets to perform said action. Of course in Concordia, another person can "copy" another players action after they played if the player has the Diplomat card in their hand. So, both are very different in how they select actions.

Personally, I prefer Concordia over Puerto Rico (I traded away my copy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
We like both games, and lately the edge is for PR, because it is shorter to play and takes less table space so we can play it at a restaurant or pub. Gamewise, they are both outstanding. Componentwise, Concordia wins: it is a big beautiful game, and just looks awesome on the table, whereas PR looks kind of dry and boring. I'd say, unless one of the differences above is important, flip a coin and you probably won't go wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of my favourite games. Both outstanding, both with minimal luck factor, as already said.
The main difference IMHO is the amount of direct interaction between players: in Puerto Rico it's impossibile to precisely plan a strategy, because every single turn someone could easily hinder you in some way. You often have to vary strategy on-the-fly. In Concordia, especially on bigger maps with few players, most of the action is quite "private", without much hindrance from the other players.
Personally, I like direct interaction, so I usually play Concordia on smaller maps and/or with full player complement (4-5)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I despised Puerto Rico, and only ever played it twice. I played its younger sibling, San Juan as a mobile app. It was okay, but nothing that made me want to play it around a real table.

I play and enjoy Concordia on a regular basis.

Just a data point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both. I'm not sure if it's because it's newer to my group or what, but lately my preference has been Concordia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I used to play PR regularly long ago when it first came out, but haven't played much at all in years and honestly don't miss it so much (though I enjoyed it OK when playing at a convention a while back) and have no particular desire to own it.

Concordia on the other hand gave me a "wow" effect and I've been playing often with my wife 2-player and 3-player a few times with the friend who loaned us his to try out. Its rules seem more clean / clear / minimalist / natural to me. And it works very well 2-player. My wife likes it a lot too but not quite enough to want to own it (partly due to its large box and our limited shelf space); otherwise I'd have already bought our own copy.

But of course it's not surprising to get more positive comments for Concordia in the Concordia forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concordia all the way, it is my favorite game in my collection (I also own PR) and it sees way more table time during game nights at the request of my friends then PR does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Get them both and don't tell the person who made you choose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
To me, Concordia is more fun in that it's easier to learn, easier to teach and smoother to play. Puerto Rico is heavier (in a good way) and I am a fan, but I'd still recommend Concordia as likely one you'll get to the table more often and have more folks enjoy, doubly so based on the games already in your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben M
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Concordia is perfection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I used to play PR regularly long ago when it first came out, but haven't played much at all in years and honestly don't miss it so much (though I enjoyed it OK when playing at a convention a while back) and have no particular desire to own it.

Concordia on the other hand gave me a "wow" effect and I've been playing often with my wife 2-player and 3-player a few times with the friend who loaned us his to try out. Its rules seem more clean / clear / minimalist / natural to me. And it works very well 2-player. My wife likes it a lot too but not quite enough to want to own it (partly due to its large box and our limited shelf space); otherwise I'd have already bought our own copy.

But of course it's not surprising to get more positive comments for Concordia in the Concordia forum.

Lol, i was thinking the same on the forum part,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:

Lol, it's my wife with a knife on my neck, cannot risk the lie,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gr8 input guys, this helps a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
jalwaaa wrote:
ousgg wrote:

Lose the wife. You could probably get a copy of Agricola too, then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
jalwaaa wrote:
ousgg wrote:

Lose the wife. You could probably get a copy of Agricola too, then.

Lol, I do not prefer farming based games. Just not my style

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyways, would love to know which game is more prone to AP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bunyan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jalwaaa wrote:

Concordia, in my opinion. Options in Puerto Rico are generally more limited so there's only so long you can think about them. Plus, it's so dependant on other players' actions that the decision tree quickly becomes unknowable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilgrim152 wrote:
jalwaaa wrote:

Concordia, in my opinion. Options in Puerto Rico are generally more limited so there's only so long you can think about them. Plus, it's so dependant on other players' actions that the decision tree quickly becomes unknowable.
In PR as the round progresses the other players exercise their own role choices and your options diminish, so the AP should also drop, although there is also much consideration of subsequent rounds. So you will often be presented with poor choices (which is an inherent feature of good play) which can produce increased AP, especially for inexperienced players.

In Concordia you are exercising options from your own (eventually uniquely evolved) deck which can't really be interfered with outside of being unable to finesse your Diplomats and in theory that might produce more AP, because you are in sole control of your actions. In practise I've found you tend to have a sequence of actions in mind throughout the game so AP only really appears when opponents spring something on you, because you continually refine your plan during the round.

Subjectively I think Concordia flows better and PR is showing its age. I would always go for Concordia now if given the choice, simply because of the multiple boards/randomised resource layouts/player number combinations, make for a fresher experience each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
United Kingdom
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help you with your decision. We have them both and neither of them would ever leave our collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
United Kingdom
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
jalwaaa wrote:
Never play Puerto Rico with open victory points! It is not meant to be, but some people do. I did, once. Never again meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Taranto
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to chime in on the Concordia side here, too. It does have more AP, but the problem I have with PR is that while it is easy to tell which move is the "right" move, it also seems to eliminate, for me, any illusion of my own choice in the game. After a point it feels more like the game is playing itself and I'm just moving the pieces. I almost always feel like I want to/could do two or three different things in Concordia, and it feels more like I'm making a less than optimal choice instead of feeling (as in PR) that I am being punished for making a bad choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Puerto Rico a bit dry and boring. Concordia is my second favourite game and everyone I've played it with enjoys it. Personally, I think things have moved on since Puerto Rico...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.