Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Hect
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played several solo games of TM now, which I think is fantastically fun! As others have mentioned, I stumbled through the first game or two, discovering how the different cards work together. I'm feeling pretty comfortable with the game now, and looking forward to introducing to my gaming buddies.

However, I'm worried about the unfair advantage I'll probably have over my friends the first game or two we play. For the other "big" games we've played, we normally all learn and play those first few games together. This will be the first time one of us (me) will be much more familiar with the game played.

Which got me to thinking about how to handicap myself. I plan to play the full game, with all CE cards and corporations. I'm considering letting the other players all start at 1 production on all resources (like in basic edition) in addition to whatever their corporate card gives.

Would that be too much though? Maybe only give them an extra production in one or two other resources?

I also think this would be fun to do on an on going basis. After someone wins, on the next game everyone ELSE gets to pick one resource to start at 1 production. As a player continued to loose over and over, their starting production would get higher and higher.

Seems like it would be a nice handicapping system?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your idea would work, but I think the beginner corporations are supposed to be the handicapping system. New players with one of those start with ten free cards and a stack of cash to play them with, that should help them get going.

I do think that starting with zero production makes it considerably tougher to get going though, I dunno if I would play CE with new players. Especially as it makes the game longer too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play with only base cards. Give the new players beginning corps, you take a regular corp. Everyone starts with 1 production in everything.

The production will only matter if you get a card that needs you to reduce that production in your opening hand, and for you, you'll have to pay to keep it. The basic setup will help the new players get rolling more quickly and get them interested in playing a second game where you can make it difficult again after they are hooked. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interociter wrote:
Your idea would work, but I think the beginner corporations are supposed to be the handicapping system. New players with one of those start with ten free cards and a stack of cash to play them with, that should help them get going.

I do think that starting with zero production makes it considerably tougher to get going though, I dunno if I would play CE with new players. Especially as it makes the game longer too.

Right. The Beginner Corporation are the handicapping system for new players. If I were learned a game and we did exceptions from the rules the first time, I would not learn how it actually should be played, and probably set it up wrong even when we tend to be on the same level. The game has a function on how to teach, and I would use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with others: with new players, give everyone 1 production in everything to start. If you want to adjust the rules and include the CE cards, it doesn't break anything, but I'm not convinced it would improve such a game. You can let new players pick regular corporations if they want to.

We have done this and in a reasonable number of cases, new players win - no worries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vergililus De Kat
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonR32 wrote:
I've played several solo games of TM now, which I think is fantastically fun! [...] I'm feeling pretty comfortable with the game now, and looking forward to introducing to my gaming buddies.

However, I'm worried about the unfair advantage I'll probably have over my friends the first game or two we play...

Playing solo won't give you much of an advantage when you play multiplayer I think.
You'll have *some* knowledge about the cards, but that's it if you've played solo so far.

In solo you're trying to raise the global parameters a.s.a.p., you've only got 14 generations after all, just to win.
In multiplayer your focus will be on generating points with card combo's, trying to grab awards and milestones etc.

I played 3 solo games before I tried multiplayer.
We've only had time for 2 games so far :-( (3 players, standard game; 2 players CE game), but I discovered very soon that the dynamics are very different.
For the record, I didn't win either of the games: second place in the 3 pl. game, lost the 2 pl. game (with 1(!) point cry)

So, my advice would be to dive in with the standard game, and they will be hooked devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.