Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Settle: $2 after completing a world of cost 3 or greater. If it is a Genes (green) world, +$1 extra.

I assume, this refers always to the printed cost, no matter how many worker discounts you have, right?

Reason: The cost of a tile is always the printed value, independently from the workers you pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Correct. Also, developments are supposed to give you advantages, not diminish the benefits you get from other sources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kozuch
United States
Export
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question: is the $2 payment per world (assuming at least cost 3), or only once per settle phase, regardless of the number of worlds built?

(Also, I played with this last night, and it seemed a little over-powered. Nearly every turn I would build a 3,4, or 5 cost world and receive enough cash to re-hire nearly everyone that ended up in the citizenry due to the building. I decided not to even place any developments in the work area because I could settle nearly for free. Anyone else have that experience?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Per world since it doesn't say per phase (or at end of phase, etc.).

If you can find the worlds and roll (or assign settlers, it's a very useful development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
makozuch wrote:
is the $2 payment per world (assuming at least cost 3)

Yes. The text says "after completing a world of cost 3 or greater", so this power is triggered every time this occurs.

As to it being too strong all on its own, you have to A) Explore enough to get a stack of 3 cost worlds into your construction zone; B) get enough dice to finish multiple 3+ cost worlds in a single Settle phase; and C) roll enough Settle faces on your dice for this -- by itself -- to become a reliable engine.

Developments letting you reassign dice to become Settlers can obviously help, but why are your opponents calling Explore for you?

Why aren't they forcing you to call Explore to get your construction stack set up and piggy-backing off of your calls while doing other useful things, like Develop to place developments that you are not interested in or Trade to get big $ from the worlds with goods that they placed on your Settle calls?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kozuch
United States
Export
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
makozuch wrote:
is the $2 payment per world (assuming at least cost 3)

Yes. The text says "after completing a world of cost 3 or greater", so this power is triggered every time this occurs.

As to it being too strong all on its own, you have to A) Explore enough to get a stack of 3 cost worlds into your construction zone; B) get enough dice to finish multiple 3+ cost worlds in a single Settle phase; and C) roll enough Settle faces on your dice for this -- by itself -- to become a reliable engine.

Developments letting you reassign dice to become Settlers can obviously help, but why are your opponents calling Explore for you?

Why aren't they forcing you to call Explore to get your construction stack set up and piggy-backing off of your calls while doing other useful things, like Develop to place developments that you are not interested in or Trade to get big $ from the worlds with goods that they placed on your Settle calls?

Well, it was a two-player game, so that limited the number of other phases called each turn.

My opponent did try to piggy back a bit on my settle activity, but he tried to build some 5 and 6 cost worlds, which took multiple turns and left many dice stranded in the citizenry afterward. In comparison, my builds seemed "free".

As to rolling enough settle faces to build, I also started with the Star Nomads tile, so I had two orange, one black, four white, and one blue to start. The orange and black helped ensure that I often had settle options throughout the game. The first couple worlds did seem to take about the usual amount of time to get down, but after they were down, I had a sizable collection of dice to work with. I then played just a couple large Explore turns to acquire a stack of worlds to build. The next few turns, though, I was able to work through the stack quickly (once I was able to build two worlds in the same turn -- hence my question).

I may have gotten lucky in the tiles I drew, as I did seem to find enough 3 to 5 cost worlds without spending many explore turns. I also may have rolled the black settle+$ face once or twice more than expected, which also saved me a bit from having to find cash.

So, it may have been a perfect storm of factors, but it did turn out to be a sizable win!

Oh, and thanks for the clarification and comments. We do enjoy the game immensely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
makozuch wrote:
My opponent did try to piggy back a bit on my settle activity, but he tried to build some 5 and 6 cost worlds, which took multiple turns and left many dice stranded in the citizenry afterward.

Hmm... unless your opponent has some useful discounts, rebates, or scoring bonuses, this sounds like he was competing in the exact area where you had advantages. I'm not surprised that didn't end well. I wonder what would have happened if your opponent had concentrated on Developments instead.

Keep playing, exploring, and enjoying the game. I feel glad it's working for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.