Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: How are the mechs different ability wise? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Phillips
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Before my group starts our playthrough is there any idea how the characters abilities will be focused?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're effectively the same at the start. Each will have an overdrive ability that you can activate with a certain amount of minion kills, but that won't likely happen for a few missions. Over the course of the game, you'll unlock schematics, which are special abilities unique to each mech. Two missions in, and I can't see any specific focus for each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mavericklancer wrote:
They're effectively the same at the start. Each will have an overdrive ability that you can activate with a certain amount of minion kills, but that won't likely happen for a few missions.

This is a tangent to the topic, but by far the easiest way to beat Mission 2 was to just grind for a long time to rack up enough kills to trigger Overdrive (and max out the mech templates) without touching any crystals. They are only generating 4.5 minions per turn, which are trivial to kill as fast as they spawn. I hope this won't be a common theme in the missions, and is just a learning exercise, because if we're grinding to kill 75 minions before we do anything else then it's going to make the whole campaign pretty tedious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai
United States
flag msg tools
I've only played the first two missions, so I only have two schematics (plus their innate Overdrive abilities) unlocked for each character, but all three of Tristana's abilities focus on attacking, while all three of Corki's focus on movement. Ziggs and Heimerdinger are a little harder to pin down, but 2/3 of Ziggs' abilities deal with damage mitigation, and 2/3 of Heimerdinger's abilities give him extra flexibility with his command line. Not sure if these trends will hold up over the rest of the game, but those seem to be the differentiated roles the four mechs have after two missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm ok wrote:
Min/maxing takes the fun out of everything.

That's a name for what the rest of us call "strategy", right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Hmmm ok wrote:
Min/maxing takes the fun out of everything.

That's a name for what the rest of us call "strategy", right?

Not really. If you're just going to grind out 75 kills, why not just set it to Easy mode? Making your game boring on purpose just to win is min/maxing. Strategy is definitely different than that mindset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:
Not really. If you're just going to grind out 75 kills, why not just set it to Easy mode? Making your game boring on purpose just to win is min/maxing. Strategy is definitely different than that mindset.

How? Strategy is making it harder by playing worse?

It's bad design if the effective strategy is boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Future missions have a much more aggressive 'timer' built into them. One of the goals was to expect players to utilize different strategies for different missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Riot Kades wrote:
Future missions have a much more aggressive 'timer' built into them.

That's what I figured. And if the first few missions are primarily tutorials, it's not such a big issue if they are "broken" on careful analysis. It would be a problem if a lot of them are this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prashant Saraswat
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
InkSplat wrote:

How? Strategy is making it harder by playing worse?

It's bad design if the effective strategy is boring.

Here's the way I see it. In an MMORPG could you technically just farm the same mob over and over again till you get to max level (South Park style)? Sure. Is it fun? Depends on who you ask, but I'd wager the majority of players would say no. Just because something works doesn't mean it is the most effective or best strategy. Farming out minions till you hit overdrive is a valid option on Mission 2, but I wouldn't say it is the most effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
catzpaw wrote:
In an MMORPG could you technically just farm the same mob over and over again till you get to max level (South Park style)?

MMORPG doesn't have a set goal or victory condition. So it's a different thing than a board game (or MOBA) where you either win or you lose. If League of Legends could consistently be won with an extremely boring strategy, that your opponents could only match if they do the same boring thing, I don't think anyone would say that's good design and it's up to the players to play in a more interesting way.

We didn't actually get to Overdrive when we played Mission 2, because once we had about 40-50 kills and all of our mechs were maxed out (so we were just discarding the cards we drafted every turn) and there were only a handful of minions on the board, it was so easy to win there was no point in delaying further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm ok wrote:
Min/maxing takes the fun out of everything. Play the game, have fun, don't worry about the math.

Better yet, *compete* to get those crystals. Whoever gets the fewest crystals, get a punch in the arm. In case of a tie, punch everyone's arm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tucker
msg tools
It was close, but we got and grabbed two crystals within a few turns and then it was a mad rush stopping lone minions from touching the school and then we grabbed the final one and deliver it in the same turn. You actually are more likely to get overdrive by picking up an early crystal though the powers aren't that strong that I would plan my whole start around it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
mavericklancer wrote:
They're effectively the same at the start. Each will have an overdrive ability that you can activate with a certain amount of minion kills, but that won't likely happen for a few missions.

This is a tangent to the topic, but by far the easiest way to beat Mission 2 was to just grind for a long time to rack up enough kills to trigger Overdrive (and max out the mech templates) without touching any crystals. They are only generating 4.5 minions per turn, which are trivial to kill as fast as they spawn. I hope this won't be a common theme in the missions, and is just a learning exercise, because if we're grinding to kill 75 minions before we do anything else then it's going to make the whole campaign pretty tedious.

While that is a possible tactic for mission 2, it isn't the only tactic, and other missions do play differently. Although to be fair if you play it 2 player only (mission 2) you almost have to stick with that strategy unless you get lucky with Gas Tanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

This is a strategy that is not as effective in later missions...
devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrPiddlesworth wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

This is a strategy that is not as effective in later missions...
devil

Now you ruined the surprise! My answer was less spoiler filled !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikolai was actually the only one to answer original question. Now that people probably have played the game more, could you guys elaborate a little, and give some spoiler free comments on the general direction the different characters take during the campaign?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After having seen all schematic cards now, I'd say that Nikolai's answer was pretty accurate. Here's a slightly more in-depth list (without having the game in front of me, so please forgive me if I forgot anything):
- Tristana focuses on more damage and more range, but also has some cards that increase Command Line flexibility.
- Corki is mostly about mobility, with a few schematic cards for attacking.
- Ziggs offers a balanced combination of dealing with damage more easily and offensive capabilities, mostly related to fire/explosives of course.
- Heimerdinger improves Command Line flexibility almost exclusively (mostly for himself, but also for the other yordles).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.