SPACEBOY
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have the Devir Spanish Edition and I'm thinking about playing the game using the ruleset of the new edition. So, I need some rules clarifications:

1. Are POWs allowed to block the black spots (posts), denying the German player the possibility of deploy guards? (in the previous editions this was allowed). Following the new ruleset, it seems that a guard deployed from the barracks to that "blocked" post may arrest himself the "blocking" prisoner,if so, there's no reason for a Escape Officer to allocate prisoners over those spots anymore!

2. Does the doubles on dice allows for re-rolling when using cards as "Appel" or "Commander's Car"? If so, is the restriction of "maximum 2 re-rolls for rolling doubles" cumulative or should it be treated separately, for each "step"? (e.g. When using "Commander's Car" it's not clear if a player may re-roll doubles a maximum of two times for each of the 6 rolls that the card allows, or a maximum of two times in total).

3. IMO, the new rules don't explain well the procedure of how and exactly when the Security Officer can remove the Escape Attempt Markers.

4. Is the Security Officer allowed to move freely guards on the outer courtyard? If yes, could he simply put guards all over the different doors, inspection points and drop spots just waiting for the prisoners to arrest them (or even blocking them)? Seems totally anti-climatic and unbalanced to me: how could a Escape Officer achieve a successful evasion if the Security Officer is able to move guards freely all along the outer courtyard?

Many other doubts came to my mind while comparing the new ruleset with the one of the edition I own. I'll post them here later. Thanks for reading and please help me solving these problems/questions.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Burkley
United States
Hillsborough
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. First edition rules did not allow POWs to occupy the black entry/exit spaces. Only the Security Officer could use these to call up or return sentries to the barracks.

2. First Editions rules allowed a 'doubles' roll to add to an Appel or the Staff Car escape attempt, plus another roll.

3. No comment. (Don't have the Osprey Edition. First edition rules did not use the concept of an 'Escape Attempt Marker'.)

4. First Edition rules allowed the Security Officer to move his sentries anywhere, inside and outside, the courtyard - except the Appel area and the blue 'safe zones'. Yes, the Security Officer could attempt to block potential escape routes, but the POWs always seemed to find the 'Diversion' card to pull away a sentry at the most opportune time... The Security Officer also has to keep in mind how many sentries are out. If he has no sentries in the Barracks 'in reserve', the POWs could take advantage of that by pulling off multiple escape attempts, since the Security Officer cannot pull back a sentry AND send that sentry out again in the same turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Princess Beardie
United Kingdom
Glossop
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The POWs may occupy the black spots but if a guard is taken from the barracks and placed on the same spot then they can be used to arrest that POW and be returned to the Commanders office, the POW will be placed in solitary.

3. If the security officer discovers an escape attempt marker they can use it. Then after use (or not, whichever the case may be) when the security officer leaves the building/room they remove the marker. The security officer can leave it in place to be used by themselves later if they so wish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Flynn
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I use the new rules with my old Gibson edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Flanagan
United States
Santa Cruz
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brunswick1815 wrote:
Can I use the new rules with my old Gibson edition.

Bump

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Falk Hartelius
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
FinrondFelagund wrote:
1. Are POWs allowed to block the black spots (posts), denying the German player the possibility of deploy guards? (in the previous editions this was allowed). Following the new ruleset, it seems that a guard deployed from the barracks to that "blocked" post may arrest himself the "blocking" prisoner,if so, there's no reason for a Escape Officer to allocate prisoners over those spots anymore!

You are correct; the guard can arrest the 'blocking' POW.

FinrondFelagund wrote:
2. Does the doubles on dice allows for re-rolling when using cards as "Appel" or "Commander's Car"? If so, is the restriction of "maximum 2 re-rolls for rolling doubles" cumulative or should it be treated separately, for each "step"? (e.g. When using "Commander's Car" it's not clear if a player may re-roll doubles a maximum of two times for each of the 6 rolls that the card allows, or a maximum of two times in total).

You can use re-rolls on any dice roll when you score a double. Treat it as separate for each step.

FinrondFelagund wrote:
3. IMO, the new rules don't explain well the procedure of how and exactly when the Security Officer can remove the Escape Attempt Markers.

A guard can remove an Escape Attempt marker only if they either use it to move down a drop / over barbed wire, or if they elect to return to the Commander’s Office whilst in the space where the Escape Attempt marker is located.

FinrondFelagund wrote:
4. Is the Security Officer allowed to move freely guards on the outer courtyard? If yes, could he simply put guards all over the different doors, inspection points and drop spots just waiting for the prisoners to arrest them (or even blocking them)? Seems totally anti-climatic and unbalanced to me: how could a Escape Officer achieve a successful evasion if the Security Officer is able to move guards freely all along the outer courtyard?

Yes. The drawback is that if the Escape Officers are playing well, a Security Guard player doing this should find themselves stretched too thin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.