Subject: will I like this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me say that I love Ewe's designs, his ambitions and scopes of his games. However, me and my wife ended up getting rid of Caverna and FoA because we really didn't feel any sense of direction. I determined we don't like the open-ended, do whatever you want whenever you want style. Is there more direction and pressure in this game that I would enjoy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Strubczewski
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a sandbox like Caverna and Fields of Arle. And even more so because you have 61+ worker placement options. I would say you will not like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
Let me say that I love Ewe's designs, his ambitions and scopes of his games. However, me and my wife ended up getting rid of Caverna and FoA because we really didn't reel any sense of direction. I determined we don't like the open-ended, do whatever you want whenever you want style. Is there more direction and pressure in this game that I would enjoy?

I've never played Caverna, but I think some people have said Feast for Odin is less sandboxy.

HOWEVER, Feast for Odin is still very open. There are certain specific "strategies" you can follow like hunting, whaling, raiding, and crafting, but you can mix and match as needed and go in several directions.

Direction comes from the game funnelling you down certain chokepoints (If you decide you need ore, you need to do one of X options. If you decide you need stone, you need to do one of Y options, etc.), and from the occupation cards. Each player has a starting occupation which improves one aspect of your game. It is probably in your best interest to focus on that and one or two other occupations if you get them early.

In summary, I am not sure! I fear it would be too open for you, but there is definitely some direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Martystrub969 wrote:
It's a sandbox like Caverna and Fields of Arle. And even more so because you have 61+ worker placement options. I would say you will not like it.

Thanks! Kind of a bummer because I LOVE the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
Let me say that I love Ewe's designs, his ambitions and scopes of his games. However, me and my wife ended up getting rid of Caverna and FoA because we really didn't reel any sense of direction. I determined we don't like the open-ended, do whatever you want whenever you want style. Is there more direction and pressure in this game that I would enjoy?

I have good news/bad news for you.

Unlike Caverna and Fields of Arle, in A Feast for Odin, you will have direction. The strength of the 3-Viking actions has you going there often enough to generate a hand of 3-6 Occupation cards over the course of the game, in addition to the one you start with. They are not as strong as the cards in Agricola, but they do make a difference, and you should be playing to them, giving you the direction you seem to want. (I like that too!) So there is a bit of do-whatever-you-want style, but you should do-what-your-cards-help-you-do!

As for pressure - it doesn't come as much from opponents as much as it does from the risks you take. You have to decide what exploration/house boards to go after, and all of them come with negative points you have to work around. Interesting tension to say the least.

Can I point you to my review? It's thorough and should give you a good sense of how the game works and how it compares to the other games.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1658930/odin-massive-ma...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It is without a doubt the "most open" of any of his games, especially moreso than Caverna and Agricola. Sometimes occupation card draws will "steer" you in a certain direction to give you optimal points scoring, but even then they are not set in stone. I have only played this at the 4-player mark and it only felt remotely tight around the spots.. I imagine for 2 players it's incredibly open. Sorry, you will NOT like this.

(....but I really, really do.) ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
have a quick read of this blogpost https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/58970 its solo play but gives some idea how the direction of play can change. It discusses solo play so you will have to extrapolate to 2 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'Brien
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
From what I've seen, the occupation cards in the game will give you some direction. I really like Caverna but I agree that with such a large selection of furnishing tiles it can be tough at times choosing a good path.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
Let me say that I love Ewe's designs, his ambitions and scopes of his games. However, me and my wife ended up getting rid of Caverna and FoA because we really didn't feel any sense of direction. I determined we don't like the open-ended, do whatever you want whenever you want style. Is there more direction and pressure in this game that I would enjoy?

Glad you posted as I'm in a similar boat. I like the tightness of Agricola, I just got rid of Caverna and Arle is on the auction block because they feel to meh, too whatever for me and my wife. I like the idea of Odin but it feels like more of the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.