Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a situation come up in our prologue game the other day and after a quick gloss over the rules, I couldn't find the answer. One player was at one of the islands near our home ports on the east side. They used the sail action and would have not been able to get to a neighboring island that was more to the west side, but still near our home ports. They decided to instead enter the coastal area and move down the coastal waters in one movement and made it to the island. Is this allowed? Can you use the big coastal water space to move more efficiently? Also, please forgive me if my terminology is off, I don't have a copy of the rules in front of me at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is fine.

If it helps, think of the coastal waters as being safer and having landmarks constantly in sight to aid in navigation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own the game, so I don't have the rules, bit I've played the prologue and game 1. That long water space acts like one water space for movement. It seems to be there to allow each starting port to be the same distance to the starting islands, as well as for being the same distance from one port to the other.

So I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use it to your advantage to get to an island that you couldn't get to by just using noreal sea spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes thematic sense. Thanks. I'm sure that as more islands are discovered it will come up less. We did let the player move that way, even though we all, the player included, felt kind of weird about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain W.
Germany
flag msg tools
Hahma wrote:
..... That long water space acts like one water space for movement. It seems to be there to allow each starting port to be the same distance to the starting islands, as well as for being the same distance from one port to the other.

If it is ok, I would like to follow up on that.
The intention seems to be quite clear, but is the statement true - or could you sail directly, e.g. sailing 1 field, from your province to the one or two neighbors in north and south ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Nolto
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stubentiger wrote:
The intention seems to be quite clear, but is the statement true - or could you sail directly, e.g. sailing 1 field, from your province to the one or two neighbors in north and south ?

Yes. The purpose of the first sailing space is to ensure that all players are equal distance to all other players and all islands.

Edit: I misunderstood the question. The answer is "No". All provinces are the same distance (2 spaces) from one another
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nolto wrote:
Stubentiger wrote:

Yes. The purpose of the first sailing space is to ensure that all players are equal distance to all other players and all islands.

If the answer to his question is YES (i.e., you can sail directly from one province to an adjacent province) that means it's NOT true that all players are an equal distance to all other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Nolto wrote:
Stubentiger wrote:

If the answer to his question is YES (i.e., you can sail directly from one province to an adjacent province) that means it's NOT true that all players are an equal distance to all other players.

Well if for example it takes 2 movement pots to move from any province to any other province, then wouldn't they be equal distance from each other? Not in inches but in movement points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hahma wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
Nolto wrote:
Stubentiger wrote:

Well if for example it takes 2 movement pots to move from any province to any other province, then wouldn't they be equal distance from each other? Not in inches but in movement points.

Yes and no. Your closest neighbors are one move away. But every undamaged ship moves at least two, so the distinction is trivial. Technically, it's more accurate to say every province is within one sailing move of each other province. A damaged ship with one sail might have trouble attacking some of the other provinces, but if it is damaged, why is it raiding other provinces anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:

If it takes 2 movement points to move from any province to any other, then they would all be equidistant. If it takes 2 movement points to move between some pairs of provinces, and 1 movement point to move between other pairs, then they are not all equidistant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had it confirmed that the coastal waters space is intended to be a single space and is intended to ensure that provinces are equally far from islands and that provinces are (nearly) equally far from each other. Adjacent provinces are still one space away, but distant provinces are at most two spaces away. So don't feel weird about it!

It's true that some provinces are slightly closer than others, but the bottom line is that it's only relevant rarely (ie, when you raid a neighbor an survive, but take damage cards that happen to reduce your ship's sail to less than 2). I guess if this really bothers you, you could adopt a house rule that says that no provinces are adjacent, and all travel must pass through coastal waters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Hahma wrote:

If it takes 2 movement points to move from any province to any other, then they would all be equidistant. If it takes 2 movement points to move between some pairs of provinces, and 1 movement point to move between other pairs, then they are not all equidistant.

My bad then. I don't own the game and have only played the prologue and game 1. I don't recall the 1 space distance for neighbors, so either it wasn't mentioned, or I missed it amidst all the other rules. I'm the green province, so then I onl have one neighbor to be 1 space away from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Nolto
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All provinces are within two spaces of each other. They are equal distance from one another and they are also equal distance from all islands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nolto wrote:
All provinces are within two spaces of each other. They are equal distance from one another and they are also equal distance from all islands.

Not equal; some are adjacent: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23200995#23200995
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nolto wrote:

This is like saying that all US cities are within 6000 miles of each other, so they are all at an equal distance. It ignores that some are closer than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We play that coastal waters are one space for all allowing each Province to be equal distance from each other.

Players may also sail out and in from any place on the board meaning they can go to islands on the other side of the board (to them)

Although I really believe the authors did not intend this, I feel this "house rule" is thematic and my play group likes it as it equalizes the beginning games.

I made it known before we started the game that some rules would be changed by the game, and some rules by us. We can change this rule later if something in the game makes this house rule obsolete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thomasrobb wrote:

Players may also sail out and in from any place on the board meaning they can go to islands on the other side of the board (to them)

Can you clarify what you mean by this please? I don't understand what you mean by "out and in from any place on the board", in a way that is separate from coastal waters being a single space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The green player is on one side of the board (green Province) and the purple player (purple Province) is on the opposite side.

A green player may sail directly out to sea directly in front of his green Province harbor and coastal waters OR drift down the coastal waters (no sail cost other than the one to enter the coastal waters) to go out to sea right in front of the purple Province.

He can come back the same way.

That way, no one player is closer to an island than any other player.

Of course, you could still reach an island faster than another player based on turn order, but you are equidistant from your home harbor to reach the sea or any islands.

We may change this rule if something else in the game affects this in any way - but for right now this is how we are playing it. (Giving each player an equal start for the campaign, if you will)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless we're not understanding you correctly, that's how the coastal waters space is supposed to work. That's not a house rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly how the coastal waters is intended to work. If it wasn't, is would have been broken up into hexes like the rest of the board. (And in any case, the design crew have mentioned this.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
rosie_187 wrote:
thomasrobb wrote:

Can you clarify what you mean by this please? I don't understand what you mean by "out and in from any place on the board", in a way that is separate from coastal waters being a single space.

I can clarify what was meant I believe. Everybody agrees that coastal waters is to make things fair for province-to-province or province-to-island travel. The original question was about island-to-island travel. The northernmost and southernmost of the four starter islands require seven hexes of movement to sail between them in a straight line, but if you dip into coastal waters, you can reduce this to five movement. The OP wanted to know if this is a legal use of the coastal waters. And the consensus is yes, it is. The question only arose because it is a non-obvious use for coastal waters. The other uses require moving through coastal waters while this shortcut is optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, I guess I helped in a left-handed way. LOL.

Anyway, I stand corrected. shake

modestmodestmodestmodest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.