BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: What's on your ballot? (Non-candidates) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I love the smell of democracy in the morning. It smells like...

I dunno, coffee?

Anyway, Americans vote on just more than candidates. Many states, such as mine, have mechanisms to alter state constitutions or eliminate them or add them to the state constitution. Just wondering what, if any, such state questions* you might be voting on or have already voted on or you're a total moron and won't cast a ballot but will bitch and whine until the next election.

Here's a nice guide to what I will be voting on:
https://ballotpedia.org/Oklahoma_2016_ballot_measures

The death penalty question (776) and the, ahem, "right-to-farm" question (777) are typical pandering by the Legislature. Some idiot lawmaker thinks we can hold tight to our policy of killing murderers (776)by amending the Constitution. One, the state Supreme Court loves the death penalty. Two, the US Supreme Court rules here, so amending a state constitution ain't dick. The right-to-farm question is merely an attempt to enable the state to ignore EPA regulations. SQ 779 asks voters to approve a 1-cent per dollar increase in the sales tax to fund raises for teachers and spend the rest on schools. I'm sympathetic because my daughter is a teacher in OKC. However, all three get my no vote. 779 is a way for legislators to tell constituents they never voted for a tax increase (very difficult to do in Oklahoma anyway due to a constitutional prohibition approved back in the 1990s in a state question). The farm bill and the death penalty bill are pandering and accomplish nothing, except already spend money getting them on the ballot.

SQ 790 (state can spend money on religious items) actually isn't bad, but I know the reasoning behind it -- they want to put another goddamned Ten Commandments monument at the capitol. Nope.

SQ 792 allows grocery stores to sell wine and "strong" beer (above 3.2% alcohol) and also allows liquor stores to sell cold beer. I love capitalism, I'm all for it.

SQ 780 and 781 are an admission that legislators are too scared to work on reforming the state's criminal laws. But they're good proposals. We don't need some 19-year-old kid doing 10 years of hard time for having three joints in his jeans' pocket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Some Levy renewals. As always I will vote against them. A sale tax increase, which I will also vote against.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad law to increase Judges retirement age from 70 to 75 which was modified to be even more deceptive than it was in the primaries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
"I don’t believe in magic that works whether or not you believe in it!"
mbmbmbmbmb
https://ballotpedia.org/Georgia_2016_ballot_measures

1. Allow state control of failing schools.

2. Harsher penalties (fines) on human trafficking, and allocation of the fines.

3. State legislature doesn't like the current Judicial Qualifications Commission and wants it under their control. (Worded extra confusingly. No.)

4. Fireworks excise tax revenue allocation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We don't really do statewide ballot measures. We just have one local issue this year.

Quote:
SHALL THE TOWN OF ENFIELD APPROPRIATE AN $11,200,000 TO FINANCE ENERGY
SAVING IMPROVEMENTS TO SCHOOL AND TOWN BUILDINGS WHICH ARE PROJECTED TO
OFFSET IN PART OR IN FULL THE COSTS OF SAID IMPROVEMENTS, AND AUTHORIZE THE ISSUE OF BONDS, NOTES, TEMPORARY NOTES OR OTHER OBLIGATIONS IN AN AMOUNT NOT TO EXCEED $11,200,000 TO FINANCE SAID APPROPRIATION?

I will probably agree to it, but I want to make sure I've read up to date on it first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
SQ 792 allows grocery stores to sell wine and "strong" beer (above 3.2% alcohol) and also allows liquor stores to sell cold beer.

Do you want to kill children !!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Missouri has some really fun initiatives to raise the cigarette tax (currently at a whooping 0.17 per pack, it would be low in China). We don't have one, but TWO different initiatives, and each is backed by a different tobacco conglomerate. The increases are very low AND they are gradual, trying to make sure smokers notice as little as possible. The full texts are also poisoned with language that will raise questions to the state supreme court, and have provisions to help the companies that push them at the expense of other companies and/or other kind of tobacco products.

It's a shitfest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing exciting on the Ohio ballot this time (beyond various races - president, Senate, and the usual). Couple of local tax levies up for renewal. No votes on pot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
Conspiracy Theory Time:
I'm told that nothing mobilizes voters more than ballot questions about pot or the minimum wage. And those mobilized voters tend to vote D.

Here in OK a medical MJ petition attained the number of signatures to go up for a vote, but the state AG ruled that the paperwork was submitted too late to go onto the 2016 ballot. It will probably appear as a single question election next year. Hmmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing on the ballot here in Texas. The Texas legislature isn't in session this year so there is nothing going on. Texas is one of 4 states where the legislature only meets every other year (Texas, Montana, Nevada, and North Dakota).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
But yeah, we have a number of ballot questions here in OK, and all are interesting.

The "Right to Farm" question is really bad policy, legendarily bad, and is a love letter to corporate interests to allow them to prevent environmental regulation. Proponents sputter "there was a guy who took pictures from inside a slaughterhouse! HE WAS FROM CALIFORNIA! CALIFORNIA!" Voting no.

Some folks might make the wild-n-crazy argument that botching two executions is the definition of cruel and unsual, so howsabout enshrining the death penalty in the state constitution? That way one layer of pesky judicial activists are out of the way so we can cling to expensive revenge, hoping no one gives enough of a shit to take a case to SCOTUS. Voting no.

The toughest call is the 1% sales tax for education. We have starved our schools. That is fact. If passed, we will have the highest sales taxes in the US. That is fact. Sales taxes are regressive. That is fact. We hate our poor people here, despite being a poor state. That is fact. I am voting no based on the disproportionate effects on the poor. But I can see the other side, no problem.

We need cold beer in liquor stores. A 9PM closing time is some serious bullshit. Voting yes, enthusiastically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The only one here in Nebraska is a measure re-instate capital punishment, as our generally conservative legislature made a surprising move to ban it, so now there's a ballot initiative to override the legislature. Honestly have no idea how I'll vote, probably won't until I step in the booth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
toku42 wrote:
The only one here in Nebraska is a measure re-instate capital punishment, as our generally conservative legislature made a surprising move to ban it, so now there's a ballot initiative to override the legislature. Honestly have no idea how I'll vote, probably won't until I step in the booth.

Who are you kidding? You'll vote for the side that has the slickest advertisements.

I haven't seen a single fucking ad. I believe in the death penalty but have concerns about its application in our judicial system, you dismissive prick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

Anyway, Americans vote on just more than candidates. Many states, such as mine, have mechanisms to alter state constitutions or eliminate them or add them to the state constitution. Just wondering what, if any, such state questions* you might be voting on or have already voted on or you're a total moron and won't cast a ballot but will bitch and whine until the next election.

Here in Colorado we had several things on the ballot, the biggest of which were probably an initiative to enact state-wide single payer (Amendment 69), and Amendment 71 to change our state Constitution to require voter initiatives to have backing from all around the state (not just Denver/Boulder).

I voted against 69; that was easy.

Amendment 71 was harder...on the surface it made sense that an initiative should show statewide support rather than just localized support, but there were some problems down in the bowels of the amendment. It slightly lessened the requirements on signatures for overturning existing amendments, and that's widely viewed by many as a backdoor attempt to make it easier to overthrow our TABOR amendment. (TABOR requires that any tax increase has to be approved by the voter...the establishment hates it.)

In the end I voted against it because of this little feature. I liked the overall idea of getting signatures from around the state to better show support, but didn't like the backdoor that could be used to get rid of TABOR.

There were a bunch of smaller lettered amendments; I believe I voted for all of those (I'd have to check my ballot notes to be sure).

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.