Well, this is by no way a review, but here are some of my first impressions after three plays:
* The rules look very much like there has not been a lot of quality assurance here as there are a few very basic errors in the rules such as:
- non-consistant phrasing page 2 shows a CITY card (as one has to deduce from the set up) and NOT a hero card - errors like these make the initial very first setup and sorting difficult, but not game breaking.
- no proper component description to start off with and even worse no proper component listing other than the vague info on the box ("6 13-14 hero cards" - what type of info is THAT?? It doesn't help either that the term "hero card" refers to the hero cards in a player's deck as well as the hero avatar card)
Having said that the rules have been easy to read and allowed for a quick start of the game so far.
* The graphic design is awkward - while the drawings are certainly a matter of taste, the typesetting (all capital letters) and the icons really look like a late 90's web page design - come on, I mean a green "3D" button which does not blend into the rest of the graphics AT ALL - really? The same is true for the tokens as well as the tracking dials which are not only horribly designed, but also fiddly.
While there are a lot of good ideas (i.e. combing deck building into the Sentinels of the Multiverse engine), my first two games really did not make these aspects shine - the way one achieves XPs (the currency to buy new cards) is too random and there is no deck culling/real deck strategy involved.
The first enemy "The Cult" is pretty lame to play as the ration of Cultists to cards triggered by the main enemy is way too low to produce tension - it is mostly take one hit, foe heals one hit...
The same seems to be true for the second enemy "the pirate", but I have played it once only.
All in all it feels very one-dimensional and repetitive, nowhere near Sentinels of the Multiverse, a game I really adore. A shame really as I am actually like the fantasy theme WAY better than the superhero one.
....the game is on my for trade list - anyone willing to trade?
- Last edited Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:43 pm (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:40 pm