BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: 50 years from now, what will be the next Monopoly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cannon Wolf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of us hobby gamers have had this experience:
You mention you like games to non gamers, and they inevitably ask, "You mean like Monopoly?"
Then cue the eye roll and deep sigh.

Monopoly, when it was released, was revolutionary. But in a way,it became a victim of its own success.

So 50 years from now, what current hobby game will evoke the same disgust out of future hobby gamers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards Against Humanity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:

Monopoly, when it was released, was revolutionary. But in a way,it became a victim of its own success.

...what current hobby game will evoke the same disgust out of future hobby gamers?

There's plenty of people on this site that have similar feelings toward Catan. Munchkin is also a likely contender.

Edited to clarify which comment I was referring to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably Catan. I already know i can't stand it. I feel it's my personal duty to introduce others that love it but have no idea about the hobby to much better games. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ticket to ride. So easy to learn and fun to play. It will be with us forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, I think it'll still be Monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
was monopoly revolutionary or was its success that was revolutionary?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason we have the monopoly syndrome is 50 years of very limited boardgame production and playing.

Gaming has changed so much the same marketing / perception phenomenon that monopoly experienced cannot occur again.

Monopoly will probably always be the bane of gamers.

Maybe Catan? In 50 years there will be so many copies laying about unplayed because there are so many just better games to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
There's plenty of people on this site that have similar feelings toward Catan. Munchkin is also a likely contender.

Munchkin has pretty much already over-saturated the market with dozens of spinoff versions. Catan's already kind of in the same boat, being a victim of its own early success. I have trouble visualizing either of them having a lasting impression 50 years hence.

My personal guess would be Magic: the Gathering or one of the other "big" CCGs (Pokemon and Yugioh come to mind). There are stores that are devoted strictly to collectible card games, or even exclusively to just one specific game in that genre. Mind you, I'm not saying they aren't good games, just that they've simultaneously become both so mainstream and such a niche hobby that I don't see devoted "gamers" maintaining a long-term interest in them. In 50 years, my guess is that any of those CCGs will elicit the same kind of "oh, puleeese" eye-roll when they're brought into a gaming club that Monopoly does today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DailyRich wrote:
Cards Against Humanity

Absolutely.

Do people deviate from the rules? Check.
Does it go on too long? Check.
Do people groan when it comes out? Check.
Is it same experience everytime? Check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
was monopoly revolutionary or was its success that was revolutionary?

Monopoly was stunningly revolutionary. There's nothing today with that level of impact.

Magic comes closest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
InappropriateAndy wrote:
DailyRich wrote:
Cards Against Humanity

Absolutely.

Disagree. CAH is a temporary "flash in the pan" game that's big with non-gamers for a few years because of the current events novelty factor and then completely fades from interest/memory. Kind of like the various iterations of Trivial Pursuit or Scene It? Movie -- ubiquitous in nearly every non-gamer's home for about a decade (and played perhaps only once or twice during that period), and then dumped in such massive quantities that every second-hand store has a dozen copies cluttering up its shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
Kind of like the various iterations of Trivial Pursuit or Scene It? Movie -- ubiquitous in nearly every non-gamer's home for about a decade, and then dumped in such massive quantities that every second-hand store has a dozen copies cluttering up its shelves.

I'd say Monopoly fits most of that description too - ubiquitous in every home and flooding second-hand/charity shops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only board game even close to the success of Monopoly is Catan. Catan barely scratches the surface of board games sold in the U.S., but it has the highest chance of decent games making an impact. Clue, Monopoly, Risk, Life etc etc... still reign supreme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
InappropriateAndy wrote:
I'd say Monopoly fits most of that description too...

Yeah, but Monopoly still does get played today (albeit mostly by non-gamers). But when was the last time you saw anyone playing TP or SI? It must be 20+ years since I've seen either hit a table.

My point is that the information in those games (like CAH) is dated. Once that information gets past a certain point nobody can remember why they thought it was amusing in the first place. As flawed a game as it may be, the basic concepts behind Monopoly (owning and improving property, charging rent, etc) remain relevant even today -- yeah, the prices you're charging are dated, but the underlying ideas are still common enough that everyone can relate to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan is already kind of there. When I talk to people about games, they usually ask me if I've ever heard of it. It's almost adorable, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Virtual Reality Apps (and flying cars)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DailyRich wrote:
Cards Against Humanity
50 years passed quickly!

Pete (hates it already)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Monopoly will be the new Monopoly 50 years from now.

Sales are still strong. Everyone is familiar. None of that looks to change.

It was THAT revolutionary, and it remains THAT popular. If our hobby becomes dominated by electronic/board hybrids (which is a possibility) the games we love today may become relegated to the footnotes of history, and Monopoly will still be the king of hybrids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
France
Paris
2ème
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly: 2066 Edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's really weird for me is that my Dad (b.1917) bought Monopoly when it was revolutionary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan may be the next Monopoly, but Dominion seems like it's on the way to being the next Catan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan Legacy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.