Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #3» Forums » General

Subject: Italian tincans rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
Jan Vater
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
am i missing something or were those italian
AFVs (well, erm, sort of 'armoured' and maybe
eventually even 'fighting'- but vehicles they
are, aren't they?) just included to get used
with a scenario still to be published in the
future?

combined with the italians from ASLSK#2, they
could make do for combat. if ASLSK#3 only had
included any italian crews for the infantry
guns, that is. sigh.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Jan Vater wrote:
italian AFVs (well, erm, sort of 'armoured' and maybe
eventually even 'fighting'- but vehicles they are, aren't they?)

Self-propelled coffins?

I think it's the same situation as with ASLSK #2, which included Russian Guns and crews, but no Russian infantry. The scenarios that come with each Starter Kit use only what's in that box, but other scenarios that might be published in Operations magazine or elsewhere can use parts from multiple Starter Kits.

Scenario S18 "Baking Bread" in Operations #49, for example, uses the Russian infantry from ASLSK #1 and a Russian Gun from ASLSK #2.

The lack of any Italian crews, however, is unfortunate.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Vater
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jay

i must admit i am quite a fanboy of early war scenarios,

putting reckless men in flimsy 'death boxes' against

each other. maybe it's the horrible meatgrinding of the

late war or the 'fire and forget' tank fighting of the

heavy metal that'd put me off, but i strongly dislike

those kind of engagements.


who's not to like the hapless ASL italians then? it must

have took a lot of courage to charge the enemy in what

the italian arms industry provided for that task. plus,

they knew when it was about time to call it a day, not

like their bone-headed german allies who stopped the fight

only after the last man standing went down.

che stupidi sti tedeschi!!!

ciao
jan
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Jan Vater wrote:
who's not to like the hapless ASL italians then? it must have took a lot of courage to charge the enemy in what the italian arms industry provided for that task.

In a long, detailed article that was published in the 1990 ASL Annual, Craig F. Posey looked at the Italian army in WWII and how it is portrayed in ASL. He singles out the Italian tank crews that served in North Africa for particular praise:

"As the war progressed, with the steady attrition of Italian armor and the simultaneous buildup of British and American forces, there was little hope in the long run. But the performance of Italian armored crews was, however, superior to the end--especially when one considers the relatively inferior equipment which they had to work with most of the time."

I find playing the Italians in ASL or ASLSK to be a lot of fun and a good challenge. There are no easy victories with them, and when you do win as the Italians you feel as if you have really accomplished something.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
richfam wrote:
Jan Vater wrote:
italian AFVs (well, erm, sort of 'armoured' and maybe
eventually even 'fighting'- but vehicles they are, aren't they?)

Self-propelled coffins?

I think it's the same situation as with ASLSK #2, which included Russian Guns and crews, but no Russian infantry. The scenarios that come with each Starter Kit use only what's in that box, but other scenarios that might be published in Operations magazine or elsewhere can use parts from multiple Starter Kits.

Scenario S18 "Baking Bread" in Operations #49, for example, uses the Russian infantry from ASLSK #1 and a Russian Gun from ASLSK #2.

The lack of any Italian crews, however, is unfortunate.


I love S18 "Baking Bread", it's Kick ass scenario! I love Eastern Front...I think S18 is based on ASL RB3 "Bread Factory #2" from Red Barricades HASL - based on force composition and scenario description.

Peter
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.