Popular Tags: [View All]
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The components in this game are so awesome that you can't just let the minions remain monochrome. The easiest and fastest way to paint them is to just slap on some red onto the robes and leave the trim, shields and base grey. But I wanted to stray from what are canon colors and so I sprayed primer on them. Using this method, I was able to paint all 100 in a week, working on ten at a time.

I also had a bunch of 1.5" tiles and terrain that I had cast and painted for Krosmaster Arena and used them for a custom board that works well. This is for the first scenario.

I also made a tutorial video to help those that haven't painted before.

• [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job.

I'm currently painting up the minions, and am only halfway through twenty of them! I'm trying to mimic the video game minions, so I'm painting them in red and metallics, the two evillest colors in the world. A red color primer helps, but it's grey for the base, and 1/2 red, and 1/2 metallic for the miniature itself. That's a lot of black brush-on primer for the metallics!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR!
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. That was crazy fast and is crazy impressive. Making an already beautiful game into a gorgeous masterpiece of art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMPRESSIVE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berard
United States
Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
I play as blue.
badge
Purple is my second choice.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...just...wow!

Do you also have a tutorial for those tiles? They really make the game pop!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
Next question is... do you do commission work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just be over here picking my jaw back off the floor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tucker
msg tools
Are you going to reap ain't the mechs? I would love to see what you can do with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Eraelan wrote:
Wow...just...wow!

He does give more information here, with even more linked from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the compliments, everyone! I played through the tutorial and first scenario last night with my son and we had a fun time with it. I'm thinking that the game will play really differently with four rather than just the two we had so looking forward to playing with more.

Sam and Max wrote:
I'm currently painting up the minions, and am only halfway through twenty of them! I'm trying to mimic the video game minions, so I'm painting them in red and metallics, the two evillest colors in the world. A red color primer helps, but it's grey for the base, and 1/2 red, and 1/2 metallic for the miniature itself. That's a lot of black brush-on primer for the metallics!

Do you really need a brush primer for the metallic? I'm wondering if the stickiness of whatever wash they used is enough so that you don't need it.

Robman wrote:

Yeah but I'm expensive at $3/minion. That's why I posted a tutorial video because for less than $40 in supplies, you can paint them yourself and learn for future games. "Give a gamer a painted mini and they play a game for a day. Teach a gamer to paint and they...?" Well, you know what I'm trying to get at. blush But if you are short on time but flush with cash, PM me.

Mahuloq wrote:
Are you going to [repaint] the mechs? I would love to see what you can do with them.

No, I have a bazillion minis to paint (Shadows of Brimstone, Kingdom Death Monster, awaiting Swords and Sorcery, Conan, Arcadia Quest Inferno, etc.) so anything that comes pre-painted is fine with me. If anything, I'd like to make a custom mech with my favorite Yordle, Teemo. Also, if I can ever learn to render in CAD, I'd like to make a custom board that can be 3D printed rather than cast in plaster.

rinelk wrote:
Eraelan wrote:
Wow...just...wow!

He does give more information here, with even more linked from there.

Thanks, Kelsey for providing those links! Yes, you can just purchase the molds from Hirst Arts and make a bunch of casts. The trick is making custom rune symbols but I think it can be done. Again, if I can get my act together, I'll try my hand at making 3D printable scenery but it's going to be a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Steggles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thats some pretty Sterling work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bumyong wrote:
Do you really need a brush primer for the metallic? I'm wondering if the stickiness of whatever wash they used is enough so that you don't need it.

For now, I'm using a red color primer after washing the mini's, then a black brush-on primer as an undercoat for the metallics. Saves time on painting red, and when you paint metallic on top of black, you can let a little black show through as shading or blacklining. I guess it'll be clearer when I post the tutorial when I'm done! There're definitely other ways to tackle painting these miniatures, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
For now, I'm using a red color primer after washing the mini's, then a black brush-on primer as an undercoat for the metallics. Saves time on painting red, and when you paint metallic on top of black, you can let a little black show through as shading or blacklining. I guess it'll be clearer when I post the tutorial when I'm done! There're definitely other ways to tackle painting these miniatures, of course.

Ah, that makes sense. I was more wondering if you needed primer because the paint wouldn't stick to the plastic without it. From another photo in the gallery, it looked like someone else just painted red directly onto the robe and left the rest as is so I was wondering if others knew if the paint stays on without primer. This would definitely be a faster method than what I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berard
United States
Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
I play as blue.
badge
Purple is my second choice.
mbmbmbmbmb
bumyong wrote:

Robman wrote:

Yeah but I'm expensive at $3/minion. That's why I posted a tutorial video because for less than $40 in supplies, you can paint them yourself and learn for future games. "Give a gamer a painted mini and they play a game for a day. Teach a gamer to paint and they...?" Well, you know what I'm trying to get at.

...they forget they bought the game for more than painting and fabricating bits? That's the vibe I'm getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Adelman

Saint Louis
Missouri
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Any of you guys think about painting the Trayz? Especially the envelop tray I modeled after one of the lava boards, and would look pretty cool painted:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eder ach
msg tools
_GameTrayz_ wrote:
Any of you guys think about painting the Trayz? Especially the envelop tray I modeled after one of the lava boards, and would look pretty cool painted:

You know, I saw all those bumps on the tray but I thought it was some kind of pattern for cushioning, never occurred to me it was the lava rocks! Nice detail!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Perlmutter
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eder ach
msg tools
I just had a close look at the 4 prepainted figurines and they are really well done! All the colors are in the right place even in hard to reach spots with blended shades and they have a wash on it also. There is even a stencil on Ziggs' bomb and I'm not even sure how they did that because it's partially obscured by some other pieces. Definitely would have been costly and time consuming manual work at the factory!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Tillman
Sweden
Hässelby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Amazing work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Morgan
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Excellent work! Kinda torn between washing the minis (toothbrush, water, dish soap) before priming. Is this necessary?

Looking to use the same primer/paint sprays used in the video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
acediac wrote:
I just had a close look at the 4 prepainted figurines and they are really well done! All the colors are in the right place even in hard to reach spots with blended shades and they have a wash on it also. There is even a stencil on Ziggs' bomb and I'm not even sure how they did that because it's partially obscured by some other pieces. Definitely would have been costly and time consuming manual work at the factory!

I went over a few small points on mine... the goggles had some white in the bronze, the purple girl had purple in her hair instead of white, small spots here and there, touching up really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
gmorgan1217 wrote:
Excellent work! Kinda torn between washing the minis (toothbrush, water, dish soap) before priming. Is this necessary?

Definitely wash them all. There is a sticky/not sticky wash on there now, and that could potentially interact with any painting you do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gmorgan1217 wrote:

I didn't bother to wash and the paint is firmly on there with no chance of rubbing off. (I threw them in a box together and shook it around with no adverse affect.) Of course, this is because I dipped them in Polyshades.

I don't think you need to pre-wash them if you are going to store the minions in the trays that come with the box. This protects them plenty. If in doubt, just paint one of them and see how well the paint sticks to it without the pre-wash. Also, if you spray a good clear coat on them, that would work too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.