GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,520 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » Variants

Subject: Buy a card to bury it. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moo Cow
msg tools
mb
I posted this idea in another thread and started using it, so I thought I'd make a post so that people can actually see it.

This rule solves part of the problem of the buy deck just sucking; but it doesn't solve the issue of cards simply being too expensive and unbuyable.

What my family has done is decided you can pay for a card, but instead of it going into your deck, you can chose to bury the card on the bottom of the Hogwarts Deck. This solves the issue of bad cards or multiple copies of something clogging up the market, without flushing everything entirely or without making it too easy to just pick and choose (I've seen people say pay 1 or 2 coins to just remove a card, but that gets a little too strong).

So, you basically pay full value for the card, but then toss it on the bottom of the Hogwarts Deck; or perhaps take it out of the game. I don't think it matters either way.

It has worked well for us so far. It doesn't get abused. It's generally used when we have a few extra coins, or when we just don't have anything worth buying. It's a good option, instead of having coins just wasted.

Again, though - it does nothing about the issue of cards being too expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Williams
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll definitely try this! I've played with the official variant of once per game clearing the six offered cards, but I still get a poor selection by the end of the game at times. This way seems like a good variant to keep things a bit more fun. Thanks for the suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not every card is obviously useful every time.

Every card is useful some of the time.

Part of the challenge is using the "not as awesome" cards effectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Looking for resources in how to grow in friendship, unity, and/or intimacy in marriage? - Ask me!
badge
More Woo-Hoo Gamer reviews coming throughout 2017!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Publishers have already noted an official variant: One time during the game, a player may choose to NOT purchase a card, and instead take all six cards off the table and put them on the bottom of the Hogwarts Deck.

While I agree that the game is missing the "trash a card" mechanic and it could be useful in some circumstances, buying a card only to immediately trash it does make the game a bit easier. If one wants the full challenge of the game, follow the rules and use the official variant noted above.

I'm sure that additional unofficial variants will come up over the next year, but immediately trashing a card seems to take away some of the complexity designed that was designed for the later years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.