Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Garcia
United States
McAllen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I don't play to win, but rather to ensure others have fun. That brings me joy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Would anyone recommend any cooperative board games where the group is focusing their actions on taking down a big boss of some kind?

Games I own with similar objectives:

Super Dungeon Explore
Mechs vs. Minions
Castle Panic
Zombicide (all flavors)

I know of Bloodborne, but it really does not interest me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bishop
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a list that came to me:

Dungeon Fighter - like most cooperative dungeon crawl games (like Mice and Mystics but more of a 1 shot) there is a big boss, but for this one there is a dexterity element that makes it funny, hard, and fun.

Ghost Stories - Kung fu artists defending a village from ghosts until they defeat the Boss.

XCOM: The Board Game - If you can count a final mission as a boss, then this one may work too.

Shadowrift with the Shadowrift: Archfiends expansion - A cooperative deckbuilder (Kickstarter 2nd edition just was sent out) where players seal rifts and with the expansion have to face the boss afterwards.

Betrayal at House on the Hill - The boss is the person who turns traitor half-way through the game, but that depends on the random scenario it could end up as.

Samurai Spirit - Ghoststories but with blackjack instead of movement and dice.

Defenders of the Realm - Like Pandemic of sorts but with 4 bosses that must be stopped.

Some that may be on the like of semi-cooperative or may not exactly fit:

Cutthroat Caverns - Work together to defeat 9 boss cards but then only 1 person can win.

Arcadia Quest - Fight against each other in a mini-campaign to stop 1 boss.

Runebound (Third Edition) - Not really cooperative but it "can be" if you squint really hard and agree it is whistle. Players level up to face a scenario boss.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two more I like:
Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients and all of its related stuff. You work up to a big, final encounter over the course of a mission. Quite fun.
Galaxy Defenders - this one isn't quite as dramatic in terms of a final encounter, but there is typically at least 1 enemy introduced in the later part of each mission that is harder than the rest and requires a good bit of team work to defeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a few, I think.
Sentinels of the Multiverse is the first that came to my mind: A band of superheroes trying to defeat a villain.
In Elder Sign, Arkham Horror, and Eldritch Horror a group of investigators is trying to defeat a Great Old One (or preferably prevent it from awakening).

There's also some board games '1 vs. many', e.g.
In Fury of Dracula (third edition) up to four vampire hunters try to track down and destroy Dracula.
In Middle-Earth Quest up to four heroes compete against Sauron, trying to complete their hidden goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shevalier
Canada
Orillia
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing." -Henry David Thoreau
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played it, but I believe The Big Book of Madness would also fit with what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe take a look at Dark Souls: The Board Game or Folklore: The Affliction.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was in my closet for the longest time, I have recently taken it out and learned the rules. I'm hoping to get it to the table soon. It's by a small company and doesn't get enough credit IMO...

Shadows of Malice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no one mentioned Kingdom: Death Monster. It's entire combat system is based on a group of players fighting one massive boss at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Cole
United Kingdom
Cottenham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
Mage Knight + Lost Legion expansion

We always play MK as a co-op. Perhaps surprisingly, this works well with the kids as co-op means low spite. The game is very thinky but everyone loves levelling up their character to become an all-powerful mage-knight, right? The drawback of the game is the length. Even 2p can last 4 hours. Best to leave it set up and play over a weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting...
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
I'm surprised no one mentioned Kingdom: Death Monster. It's entire combat system is based on a group of players fighting one massive boss at a time.

This, assuming you want to invest (new kickstarter coming on black friday).

Legends of Andor is an excellent game that has a few scenarios that involve beating a boss, although it is likely a very different experience than you'd expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
I'm surprised no one mentioned Kingdom: Death Monster.
I'm always surprised when someone recommends it. The price is so prohibitive, that I'd only mention it if somoeone pointed out they were looking for an overpriced ultra-deluxe game and money was completely irrelevant.

But, yes, in theory it matches the OPs criteria, although I tend to think of it as a solo game, only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
balliztik2 wrote:
Castle Panic

Castle Panic has a big boss ? Zombicide too ? Just curious. I played Castle Panic but only remember certain special enemies can show up, but nothing that classified as a "boss" to me.

Anyway, here we go:

Agents of SMERSH

E Players take on the roles of UN Secret Service Spies in an alternate 1970s timeline, trying to disrupt the plans of the evil Dr. Lobo and his henchmen.

Elder Sign

E Players take on the roles of investigators in the supernatural realm of Lovecraftian horror during the 1920s, trying to prevent the awakening of an Anciend Old One (E pretty much an evil god). The game takes place in a museum, but the location can change, depending on what expansion you are playing.

Arkham Horror

E Same concept of Elder Sign, but the game takes place in the infamous city of Arkham.

Black Orchestra

E Players take on the roles of high-ranking civilian and military conspirators in Nazi Germany, plotting Hitler's assassination.

Darkest Night (Second edition)

E Set in a fantasy realm, the players take on the roles of fantasy archetypes fighting a guerilla war against the evil necromancer who conquered their land.

Eldritch Horror

E Same concept as Elder Sign or Arkham Horror, but on a global scale.

Ghost Stories

E Set in the realm of Chinese ghost story horror, the players are defending a village against the horrors of Wu-Feng until he eventually appears himself in one of many different incarnations.

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set

E Never played it, but from what I have seen, there is usually some kind of boss to defeat in each scenario. It's pretty much the classic fantasy fare with character classes, fantasy creatures ect.

Police Precinct

E Players are trying to collect enough evidence to solve a murder case before time runs out and the suspect can escape, while also answering to other emergencies in the game's town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Garcia
United States
McAllen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I don't play to win, but rather to ensure others have fun. That brings me joy.
mbmbmbmbmb
You all are amazing! Thank you all so much for the recommendations. Now begin my hour-long researches into these games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:
balliztik2 wrote:
Castle Panic

Castle Panic has a big boss ? Zombicide too ? Just curious. I played Castle Panic but only remember certain special enemies can show up, but nothing that classified as a "boss" to me.

With Castle Panic: The Dark Titan comes Arganok which is THE BOSS.
He comes in five difficulties (a 6th one is a promo) and definitely has the "slay a boss" feeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Dziewonski
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
wannabe designer, arduous gamer, aspiring creator
mbmbmbmbmb
Still under construction, but I hear it's coming soon... Final Boss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Phillips
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
balliztik2 wrote:
You all are amazing! Thank you all so much for the recommendations. Now begin my hour-long researches into these games!

Check out Aeons End, it's just a bunch of big fun boss fights
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent 2 with the Road To Legend app should fit the bill nicely!

Also, Aeon's End is awesome! It's all about the boss fights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.