Subject: Avalon Hill CRT rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mossy tangle
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
I'm trying to play some wargames with my 8YO. I *know* the math here is peanuts, but I just can't cope with all the rules and the ratio reduction.

Does anyone know where I can find this vintage expanded Combat Results Table or something like it that I can print out? See the "Defender's Factor" and the "Attacker's Factor" table at the bottom? That's what I'm looking for.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5XaiRZaD3Ec/UIirN-KLfZI/AAAAAAAABy...

Please don't give me grief about my pathetic math skillz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuukka
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Click the picture:

You can make it bigger by clicking the "original" size box at the top of the picture after you have clicked the picture. My father taught me that there is no shame in asking.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mossy tangle
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
YES! Thank you! My Google-Fu was really failing me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Maverick
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I think the easiest way to figure it out is:

1. Add up the factors
2. Always Divide the larger number by the smaller number regardless of who has the larger number
3. If the attacker has the larger number leave the result. If the defender has the larger number invert the result.

Example:

Attacker is larger:
15/5 = 3. If the attacker has 15 (larger than the defender) then it would be 3 to 1

Attacker is smaller than defender:
15/5 = 3. If the attacker has 5 (smaller than the defender) then invert it to 1 to 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuukka
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are fractions and you round down.

If attacker has 15 factors against defenders 4, it is 15/4, or 3.75/1 and when you round that down (smaller number) it is 3/1. In odds 3 to 1.

If attacker has 4 factors against defenders 15, it is 4/15, or 1/3.75. When you round that down to smaller number it is 1/4 (i.e. rounding down from 0.266 to 0.25). In odds 1 to 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Wilson
United States
Wilmette
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for providing this. I'm feeling kinda' dumb. I have it from the Afrika Korps game, but I never thought of using it for a lazy...er...efficient player's conversion chart. I always tried to do the math in my head--many times even when playing Afrika Korps.

The other game where I actually NEEDED a conversion chart was the big yellow one in Europe Engulfed. Some people prefer rolling the BIG bucket o' dice, but the conversion table really worked well for giving a person "average" dice. And the way I roll, that's what I wanted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Maverick
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Good point. I forgot to mention about rounding down when the results aren't whole numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My son played his first game with odds-based CRT when he was 6. I just helped out telling him what was or was not a good attack, showing him what column he ended up on and what he needed to roll for a good result. Worked great.

He is 8 now so I try to get him a bit more involved in the maths. To get to the 3:1 column he needs a total that is three times the defender's total. He knows how to multiply by 3. Works for 2:1 as well. Less than 2:1, especially if the game has a 3:2 column, I just tell him he probably do not want to attack at such low odds, but if he really wants to attack when having less than 2:1 I can just help out calculating the odds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lew Coatney's Miracle Paper Computer
Modern Version BGG Image here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/2855604/stalingrad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
If it's the division you find confusing, try thinking about it in terms of multiplication and just do multiple multiplications of the defender strength (for example 3, 4, and 5). That will give you the minimum attack strengths you need for 3:1, 4:1, and 5:1 odds respectively (to continue the example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.