Subject: Saga Expansions and card use rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, new player here. I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere but I'm having trouble confirming it for myself.

I know (or at least think I know) the saga expansions form a campaign narrative and that some cards are used just for that campaign arc or specific scenario.

But in general the cards that come with the sagas can be used to play the scenarios from the deluxe expansions and adventure packs, right? There are not two pools of cards, ones for the sagas and ones for the other expansions with the core set being common to both pools, right?

Just wanting to make sure before I invest in the sagas, which I'm most interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. There are only a few that can't be used out of the sagas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jomurph86 wrote:
Yep. There are only a few that can't be used out of the sagas

Great! Thanks for the reply. Didn't want to assume and then be disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the numbers that can be played outside the saga (not pipe/fellowship cards or boon/treasures):

OHUH: Beorn, Nori, Ori, Thorin heroes, + 13 player cards.
OtDS: Balin, Bard, Bombur heroes, + 13 player cards.
TBR: Sam, TaMerry, LoPippin, Fatty heroes + 10 player cards.
TRD: Gandalf hero + 7 player cards.
ToS: SpTheoden and Treebeard heroes + 10 player cards.
LoS: LeFaramir and Damrod heroes + 9 player cards.
FtoW: TaEowyn and SpBeregond heroes + 9 player cards.

For comparison, a typical deluxe expansion has 2 heroes and 13 player cards, while a typical adventure pack has 1 hero and 9 player cards. You can see that the LOTR sagas are more stinting with the player cards than the Hobbit saga was, but they all include some great cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Dale, just to be clear - you're not saying that the pipe cards in the saga expansions are only playable within the sagas are you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, he's saying that. And he is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it's Dale, so I'm not at all surprised that he's correct. But I can't remember anything stating the pipe cards were incompatible with the regular card pool, especially as they aren't fellowship cards. Looking at TBR insert, they state "a select few [cards] are only intended for use when playing the scenarios presented in [the] Saga Expansions. These are the Fellowship sphere cards... as well as the boon cards."

Nothing about pipes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He's talking about the 'pipe' sphere cards from the Hobbit expansions. They are only usable with the Bilbo from the Hobbit games, which is only used in those scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Baggins sphere. Ok, I'm on board now.

Sad that you can't too - it has the best sphere icon whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, sorry for being unclear. It's the baggins sphere that's off-limit. Hobbit Pipe and Wizard Pipe are certainly legal player cards -- and we could really use another pipe or two for the main card pool.

Although technically not allowed, I don't think it would be gamebreaking to use the fellowship/baggins sphere outside the saga -- the few player cards would make the off-sphere a substantial handicap. Here's how I'd handle it:

1) OHUH Bilbo -- no threat cost. With only downsides on his printed card, he needs *something*.

2) OtDS Bilbo -- threat cost 6 (sum of stats). Since he doesn't count against the hero limit (printed on card), I think charging for him is appropriate.

3) saga Frodos -- threat cost 8 (sum of stats + 1), but start with One Ring attached -- this makes his powerful ability useful and gives him an outlet for his resources, plus makes him not count against the hero limit -- but also makes an attachment-discarding effect game-losing.

4) saga Aragorns -- threat cost 12 (sum of stats). Unlike OtDS Bilbo and Frodo w. ring he counts against the hero limit. His abilities are nice, but not so overpowered compared to his other versions to justify a higher threat, especially given the limitations of his sphere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
Here's the numbers that can be played outside the saga (not pipe/fellowship cards or boon/treasures):

OHUH: Beorn, Nori, Ori, Thorin heroes, + 13 player cards.
OtDS: Balin, Bard, Bombur heroes, + 13 player cards.
TBR: Sam, TaMerry, LoPippin, Fatty heroes + 10 player cards.
TRD: Gandalf hero + 7 player cards.
ToS: SpTheoden and Treebeard heroes + 10 player cards.
LoS: LeFaramir and Damrod heroes + 9 player cards.
FtoW: TaEowyn and SpBeregond heroes + 9 player cards.

For comparison, a typical deluxe expansion has 2 heroes and 13 player cards, while a typical adventure pack has 1 hero and 9 player cards. You can see that the LOTR sagas are more stinting with the player cards than the Hobbit saga was, but they all include some great cards.

Great info. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
How about the Treasure cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
0616william wrote:
How about the Treasure cards?

Saga only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.