United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
2016 Mini Secret Santa!

Interested in getting involved with the Print-and-Play Secret Santa but daunted by the printing requirements? Want to dip your toe in the pool of seasonal PnP generosity? Why not try the Mini Print-and-Play Secret Santa?

The whole "lower page count limit" for the regular PnP Secret Santa seems to generate a lot of anxiety, and it also relegates awesome minimalist designs to "also-rans" rather than the main event. The Mini PnP Secret Santa celebrates those smaller gems without the stress of wondering whether you're building enough for your target.

An introduction to Print & Play: On the geek, there are a plethora of FREE games, there for the taking! The catch? YOU have to make them! Some simply require you to print and cut out, while others are much more complicated. In addition, you can make a quick player's copy, or take your time and make a masterpiece. We're kinda leaning towards the former here...

Exchange Details Here
(Signups now closed.)

Once you've signed up, don't forget to...

Add your wishlist here!

And once you receive your gift, don't forget to add it to the...

Gifts-Received GeekList

Here's all the important details:

This exchange is based heavily on the excellent work that Simon Hunt/H3rne did running the first Mini-PnP-Secret-Santa in 2013 - many thanks to Simon both for an enjoyable event in 2013 and the basis for this rules/description document!

Requirements

You must be a member of the The Print and Play Guild. It isn't that hard to join the best community within BGG. Just click that link! http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/477

You must sign up for this exchange before the end of Friday, November 11th, 2016. This gives you a little over six weeks before Christmas, so should definitely leave everyone enough time to research, select a game, spend a couple hours of crafting and pop it in the post in time for the Big Day. Once you get your target, check the last posting dates before Christmas with your local post office so you have an idea of how much time you have.

Expectations

Receivers

You may not receive a game on your wishlist. The longer and more detailed your wish list entry is, the more likely you will be pleased with what you receive.

The game you receive will be a small Print and Play game. It might be a single printed sheet with no other components or require you to provide components of your own like dice, markers, tokens, play money or real money (Coin Age I'm looking at you!). This is not the BGG Secret Santa exchange. If you are seeking a new, just-released, shrink-wrapped game, this is not the exchange for you. This is not the BGG "Full Fat" Print and Play Secret Santa for heavy-duty crafters. If you are seeking a large, complex and/or professional-looking game in a box, this is not the exchange for you either.

You may not receive as many items as other people on the list - frankly I'm expecting just one game per target, but that's not a rule. This exchange is random and anonymous. Some participants can afford the time or may be more skilled, enabling them to be more prolific than others, but the spirit of this exchange is minimalist. If you feel the overwhelming desire to bombard your target with 20 Christmas Cards - each containing a mini-game, then you are probably on the wrong exchange.

Please be respectful and thankful for whatever you receive. The idea is that you receive a fun diversion for Christmas - just enough for you to feel "Hey! I got a game."

Givers

Bear in mind that the postage is likely to represent the main cost, and bear this in mind when signing up and selecting countries you can post to.

The Santa/Santee assignment is automated and cannot be edited by hand, so keep this in mind also. Unfortunately this means that comments like "I'm happy to send internationally but prefer to send within the country" cannot be heeded. If you're happy to send internationally that's great, but you do need to check the relevant box. If you'd rather send only within your home country, then that's great too, feel free to restrict your signup however you feel comfortable.

You are expected to deliver a constructed game that will be playable with minor common component additions, that you believe will be enjoyed by your target. "Constructed" means that the receiver should not need to do any cutting or gluing when receiving your gift (e.g. Pocket Mods should be cut and folded!). It is difficult to put a price tag, time cap or size restriction on this requirement, as the nature of print and play produces a huge spectrum of costs, time and size. As a general guideline, this being the lite/mini Secret Santa, I suggest some maximum values for these. Even pushing out the boat, it shouldn't cost more than $5 to make, take more than a couple of hours to craft or require more than 10 pages of printing (and I'm probably not including rules in that). If you do feel compelled to go above and beyond, your target will no doubt appreciate it but please don't feel short-changed if your own Santa doesn't match your efforts. If you would rather build (and receive) something more complex, the Full-fat PnP Secret Santa may be what you're after!

You may have to do some investigation. This is not the main BGG exchange. Not everyone will post on the Micro Print and Play Secret Santa Wishlist. You will need to look at their profile, their personal wish list, wants in trade list, games rated highly, etc. This is your chance to play detective and be creative. It’s possible you know of a game that would be a perfect match, but that your target has never even heard of. On the other hand, I'd avoid sending pocket-mod RPGs or Postcard war-games if the receiver doesn't show any interest in RPGs or wargames.

You are responsible for shipping your gift. Again, if you need to use more than a Christmas Card envelope, you're possibly on the wrong exchange.

PnP Angels of Lite

The PnP Angels of Lite are responsible for making sure everyone has a good mini-game Christmas. They pick up the slack when other Santas are unable to give an appropriate gift to their targets.

If you selected 'Give Only' you're already a PnP Angel of Lite! You may also volunteer to help out by GM to me (Bichatse); I will coordinate with the PnP Angels of Lite to make sure that all participants receive something.

Help! Life just happened…

If you are having trouble of any kind and think you won't be able to send something suitable to your target, please contact me via GM in the first instance and I'll set an PnP Angel of Lite on the case:
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb

Lastly

Many thanks to the Thrifty Secret Santa via Simon Hunt for a template (including this bit). Okay - I stole it without technically asking, but thanks anyway!

SEASONS GREETINGS, and lets re-define the meaning of Christmas Post!

Some Useful Links:

General Info

The Print and Play Guild
Print and Play Games Construction Tips and More Links
PnP Podcast (by FNH)
All the DIY links you never knew you needed
Since this time last year, I've been putting together some Print and Play video tutorials on my website Dining Table PnP that you might find useful.

Design contests which have produced some small games

2009 4 Tile/Card
2010 One-Sheet Label
2011 Quick PnP
2013 Two-Player
2013 Postcard Game
2013 Solitaire
2013 In a Tin/Express
2014 Two-Player
2014 Solitaire
2014 Card Game
2014 Microgame
2014 Dice Game
2014 18 Card Microgame
2015 Solitaire
2015 Microgame
2015 Two-Player
2015 18-Card Microgame
2015 Mint Tin
2015 Children's Game
2015-2015 Wargame
2016 Two-Player
2016 9-Card Nanogame
2016 One-Page
2016 Solo
2016 Mint Tin

24-Hour Contests

Other places to find small games

Minimal versions of boardgames on playable postcards
Postcard and one-page PnP wargames
PnP Game Suggestions
One-Page PnP Games Geeklist

If anyone knows of any other good repositories of small PnP games or useful DIY links, let us know in the thread below!

Check last year's Mini PnP Secret Santa for inspiration!

Taunting

Remember to use this account to keep your target updated taunt your target!

Mini PnP Santa
msg tools

User name: Mini PnP Santa
Password: tiny

EDIT 20161027 - Added up-to-date contest links
EDIT 20161112 - Signups closed, gifts-received list added
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've been delayed today by Microsoft's new policy of just rebooting people's PCs whenever they feel like it, with a ridiculous period of 12 contiguous "active hours" the only time you're safe from losing random amounts of work... so I'll get the 2016 contest links added to the above post soon, don't worry.

I've asked on the main Secret Santa thread, but I'll ask again here: recently I've being doing a few video tutorials on various print-and-play topics; you can find them at my PnP website DiningTablePnP.com. I'm getting back to recording now after a break over the summer; are there any topics that participants in the Mini Secret Santa would like to see covered before the exchange starts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Call
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Signed up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hodgeson
United States
Mira Loma
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yay! Signed up. I have missed the last couple of years of PNP secret Santa due to time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmb
I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Signed up and ready to go. I haven't crafted anything in way too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a total PnP newbie but I may take the plunge and sign up for this. I have made zombie in my pocket and micropul. Both functional for me, but neither of extremely great quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Call
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just sign up and do your best and it will be appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
dcall wrote:
Just sign up and do your best and it will be appreciated

Seconded! Anyone who signs up expecting to necessarily be sent a reeeaaally nicely-crafted gift is expecting too much. It may happen, but the requirement is really just that you think about what your target might like. After all, this is supposed to be the less-stressful PnP Secret Santa!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am researching what kind of games I can make with limited skills and equipment. Basically just an inkjet printer and a pair of scissors, maybe a ruler if I can find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I'm in. First timer, looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
swmalone wrote:
I am researching what kind of games I can make with limited skills and equipment. Basically just an inkjet printer and a pair of scissors, maybe a ruler if I can find it.

This is basically what I use, and I've been doing this for a bit. Works just fine.

Granted, I have 2 different pairs of scissors, a paper-crafting one & kitchen shears for chipboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Celinashope wrote:

This is basically what I use, and I've been doing this for a bit. Works just fine.

Indeed! Especially for smaller games where it's less likely there'll be a gigantic board or a million cards or whatever.

The important thing there is just to know your limits. Scissors are bad at cutting through thick board, for example, so don't try to cut through thick board - plan games which only need cards or dials or whatever.

And remember that there are several PnP veterans taking part in this exchange - so if you find yourself stuck as to what to make that fits your ability and tool set, you can always ask for advice. I know I wouldn't mind pointing people in the direction of some suitable games if they're lost, and I suspect several other people taking part would also be happy to help - it's quite likely that between us we've heard of a larger number of PnP games than any of us individually have heard of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:

And remember that there are several PnP veterans taking part in this exchange - so if you find yourself stuck as to what to make that fits your ability and tool set, you can always ask for advice. I know I wouldn't mind pointing people in the direction of some suitable games if they're lost, and I suspect several other people taking part would also be happy to help - it's quite likely that between us we've heard of a larger number of PnP games than any of us individually have heard of.

And I'm in... Not sure what I'm in for..., but I'm in...

Now to work on that wishlist and resist pulling everything off and making it myself...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay I signed up, we'll see how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So for those with more experience I was hoping you might be able to point me to a couple of games that I could practice building basic skills with the inkjet, scissors, and a ruler. Also if you could let me know what materials work best, for example weight or type of card stock, and what exactly you mean when you say chip board.

Greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mb
You could look at current and recent BGG contests:

18 card contest is 18 cards only, so 2 pages of cards, no components:
18 Card Microgame Contest 2016 - Results

9 card contest is 9 cards plus components:
The 2016 9-card Nanogame PnP Design Contest!

Solitaire contest goes from easy to complex builds:
2016 Solitaire PNP Contest - full list of contest ready games

For easier builds, I'd look at games that only use 1-sided cards so you don't have to mess with aligning print on both sides (or you could print 2 separate sides and put into clear sleeves.

As for card stock, I buy a pack from Staples that says its 110 lb 199 g/m**2. It's OK if you put the cards into sleeves. If you won;t use sleeves, the card stock should probably be a little heavier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
To answer the easiest questions first:

swmalone wrote:
what exactly you mean when you say chip board.

When Americans says "chipboard", they refer to a kind of cardboard/paperboard - the kind used for cereal boxes, coloured card, etc. right the way up to the backs of pads of paper and the insides of board game boards.
I believe the name comes from the way that the board is assembled from lots of little fragments chips - of paper.

When Brits (and I believe Kiwis and Australians) say chipboard, we mean a composite wood product that cheap furniture is made out of - what Americans call "particle board".

swmalone wrote:
Also if you could let me know what materials work best, for example weight or type of card stock

This really depends what you're doing. If you want to make playing cards then you want a different weight to that which you'd use for tokens and for those you probably want a different weight to that which you'd use for making a box.

(I can't really suggest weights for any of those since the US uses lb weights and here in Europe we use gsm and lbs mean nothing to me.)

swmalone wrote:
So for those with more experience I was hoping you might be able to point me to a couple of games that I could practice building basic skills with the inkjet, scissors, and a ruler.

The first question is: are you willing to buy other supplies?

For example, if you pick up some card sleeves then you can make pretty much any card game by printing the card faces and backs onto paper and inserting them into the sleeves, possibly alongside a rectangle of cardstock or an existing playing card.

(Cheap playing cards are great for sleeving alongside PnP cards, but you can also often get old Magic: The Gathering cards in bulk quite cheaply so long as you don't mind cards which are useless to a M:tG player! These have the benefit that they're quality cards and shuffle well and everything, plus they all have a similar back.)

If you get some full-sheet labels and print on those then you can stick a new face onto cheap playing cards (which makes nicer-to-handle cards than sleeving, IMO), or you can stick a board down onto some thick cardboard, or you can cut out labels for the faces of dice or poker chips or whatever you fancy. In fact there was a contest for games that fit on a single label sheet a little while ago and several of those are easy to make with just scissors. The winner of that contest, Jasper and Zot, is a great little puzzle solitaire game which works great if you just stick the label down to a sheet of cereal box card and cut out with scissors - you'll need a six-sided die and a cup or something to randomly draw tokens from and you're away.

If you can print on cardstock (a lot of inkjets manage better at this than lasers since they don't curl the card so much) then anything with tiles works pretty well just cut straight out of the cardstock. Micropul is a great little abstract two-player game, and from the one-page contest Outpost Gemini comes to mind, and I quite liked Closure.

A step up from that kind of thing there's several games on the level of #VECTOR, which can be made with simple printer paper cut out and folded and a gluestick, or can be printed on labels and mounted to old playing cards and thicker cardstock for the tokens, or could be made as hand-made linen-paper-and-cardstock playing cards and punched round tokens and wooden standups as your skill (and set of tools!) progresses.

At the very simplest end there are quite a few games which only require a printed-out board and for you to supply some dice, some tokens, pencil and eraser and so on - 1572: The Lost Expedition is well-rated, Utopia Engine is the classic BGG PnP Community example, Delve: The Dice Game is a fun fantasy dice game, Escape of the Dead Minigame is a zombie-survival example, and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mb

and

Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb

I should be good to pick up some card sleeves and maybe a few other things. My wife just won't want me buying a bunch of expensive equipment since expenditures on my gaming hobby has already rubbed on a few of her nerves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quick reminder: you only have a couple more days to sign up for the Mini PnP Secret Santa before signups close and targets are assigned! I'll most likely hit the button Saturday morning UK time, so people have the weekend to look for suitable games and start crafting if they want to.

We have 21 participants so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting excited and I have been researching games, hopefully the person I am assigned to hasn't already crafted all of the games I have been researching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
OK! Sign-ups are now closed, and targets are assigned - you should have received a geekmail with your target by now, let me know if there's any problems.

If you've not written a wishlist yet, now's the time to go over to the 2016 Mini-Print-n-Play Secret Santa Wishlist list and write a few words to help your Santa find something for you.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nona de Koning
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't find a link to this thread until targets had been assigned, so I am working on getting my wishlist up asap, hopefully today!

It's my first time participating in a PnP event and I'm excited ^^

Edit: Done & posted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any tips on how to make round chits without an arch punch? Just want them to look okay, but don't want to purchase arch punches just yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swmalone wrote:
Any tips on how to make round chits without an arch punch? Just want them to look okay, but don't want to purchase arch punches just yet.
Scissors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.