4 Posts

Leaving Earth» Forums » General

Subject: What happens to probes once the survey is completed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony M
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you do a survey from orbit rather than fly-by I would assume the probe simply remains in orbit, at least for a while. Is this how others are treating them?

I completed a lunar survey and found that the surface of the Moon consists of deep, spacecraft-destroying dust. Therefore, my man-on-the-Moon mission has been scratched. But I feel like I should put some kind of small, shiny red token (I'm playing the USSR) on the Moon Orbit location to represent my probe as it continues to photograph the Moon's surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony M wrote:
If you do a survey from orbit rather than fly-by I would assume the probe simply remains in orbit, at least for a while.

I wouldn't assume that. Most spacecraft, especially early in the history of spaceflight, are only designed to last for the duration of their mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony M wrote:
If you do a survey from orbit rather than fly-by I would assume the probe simply remains in orbit,
This is correct. Unless there is an automatic maneuver in the location a spacecraft remains where it is until it deliberately performs another maneuver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Likewise, if there is no automatic maneuver at the location, or any additional components to provide thrust, the probe does indeed remain at the location.

Personally, I usually just put the component card at that location to free up the token so I can build a new spacecraft. You may want to rendezvous with it in a later year to turn it into a lander.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.