GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,520 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hot on the heels of The Gathering Storm's addition, BGA added Rebel vs Imperium 2 months later, which went unnoticed on these forums.

No robot. Takeovers are supported. 6p is supported. Up to 6p drafting is supported.

So i see 6p games in the turn-based lobby. The odd thing is, it appears 6p is also supported for Base Game and TGS! Wonder if the deck has run out yet...

Hopefully BoW isn't too far off!

[...] [W]e are happy to introduce now the second RFTG expansion, "Rebel vs Imperium", on Board Game Arena. [...]

3 new start worlds. Note that using this expansion, you must choose between 2 start worlds when you start the game, depending on your cards in hand.
41 (!) new action [sic] cards (twice more than in the first expansion), including 6 new "6 cost development".
5 new objectives.

In particular, Revel vs Imperium adds a new (optional) "takeover" power. Some cards allow you - under certain circonstances - to takeover your opponents military worlds. To do this, you need to have a Military that is at least equal to the cost of this world, plus the Military of your opponent. [...]

This expansion has been designed to be played with the first one, so you can play the two RFTG expansions together. [...]

Please note that the "real" expansion includes in addition a "Solo" mode that has not been implemented on BGA.
[...]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
I don't get it.

Keldon did this for free and it's died.

BGA does it - charges you - and gets infinite players wanting to play 2er only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah... Barriers to entry and critical mass i guess.

* BGA is a central location with lots of games to go between back and forth, and a large pool of players. Whereas Keldon's averages probably 5 players online.
* BGA is browser-based, no installation. Whereas Keldon's AI is an external program requiring installation.
* BGA has simultaneous and asynchronous play. Keldon's AI only supports simultaneous, with an unclear timeout limit/hard cutoff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
The odd thing is, it appears 6p is also supported for Base Game
How does it work? Do 2 players share the same initial world?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
syzygia wrote:
How does it work? Do 2 players share the same initial world?

Good question. Might just be bad interface design and when you click create it will stop you. Don't particularly want to test to find out. :P Also don't see any 5/6p base game nor 6p TGS in the Games in Progress list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rain
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
Hot on the heels of The Gathering Storm's addition, BGA added Rebel vs Imperium 2 months later, which went unnoticed on these forums.

Good catch!

entranced wrote:
No robot. Takeovers are supported. 6p is supported. Up to 6p drafting is supported.

So i see 6p games in the turn-based lobby. The odd thing is, it appears 6p is also supported for Base Game and TGS! Wonder if the deck has run out yet...

I just tried to join a 6p drafting game, and it failed to start with the an error code like "Drafting is for 3p maximum", which means that a 6p base game will likely also fail to start. Not the best system design...

The UI is clunky, but there are players there. Mostly wanting to play the base game though, probably due to the fact that only subscribers can initiate an expansion game.

I'll probably check it out from time to time, but it sure ain't no Keldon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The BGA experience is kind of shonky. When this first turned up a few months ago, it was buggy and didn't implement the rules properly. I forget all the problems I ran into, but they were common, and included things like Rebel Cantina not giving a card for itself on produce, and "have the most" goals not giving 3 points to a tying player at the end of the game. There are also little niggles like not being able to see the number of cards left in the deck.

Some of this may have been fixed now, but, as rain says, the UI is still clunky. I'd estimate about 1 in 15 of my losses comes from a UI error rather than a strategic error, which is much higher than is really desirable.

Grumbling aside, it's still the best place to actually get a game of Race online, which is better than no Race at all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ps rv
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kester wrote:
When this first turned up a few months ago, it was buggy and didn't implement the rules properly. I forget all the problems I ran into, but they were common, and included things like Rebel Cantina not giving a card for itself on produce, and "have the most" goals not giving 3 points to a tying player at the end of the game. There are also little niggles like not being able to see the number of cards left in the deck.

Some of this may have been fixed now, but, as rain says, the UI is still clunky. I'd estimate about 1 in 15 of my losses comes from a UI error rather than a strategic error, which is much higher than is really desirable.

Grumbling aside, it's still the best place to actually get a game of Race online, which is better than no Race at all!

Yes, the RvI implementation was very buggy when first released. They have fixed most (but not all) of the bugs; I'd say losses due to UI error are now rare. Of course, it helps if you know about these bugs in advance - check their bug reports before playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ps rv
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And they just added BoW as beta
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
psrv wrote:

Wow nice! Would prefer bug fixes tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ps rv
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
psrv wrote:

Wow nice! Would prefer bug fixes tho.

As I noted in my earlier post, most of the bugs in RvI have been fixed. I haven't played BoW yet, so I'm not sure how buggy it is, but there are some bug reports (and some bug fixes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
psrv wrote:
As I noted in my earlier post, most of the bugs in RvI have been fixed.

I see. I was going by the list of 209 open bugs in their bug report system. That's a lot, when i'm used to Keldon's AI, whose bugs are in the low single digits. Kester's 1/15 losses = bug also scared me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sourisdudesert Sourisdudesert
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

Thanks for your comments on this new expansions.

Yes, there are a lot of games/players and consequently there are a lot of bug reports. This is quite hard for us to process all of them, especially when you know that 80% are duplicates, rules misunderstanding, temporary BGA servers/network failure not linked to RFTG or bugs that has already been resolved (because this is really painful to identify the 4 distinct bug reports that correspond to each of the 4-5 bugs you just fixed).

This is why we have this "vote for bug" system. Basically for RFTG, considering there are thousands (yes, thousands...) of games played each day, I only consider bugs with more than 6-7 votes as "serious candidates" (+ of course recent bugs).

So at the end, even the bug list looks impressive there are not so many
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.