7 Wonders Duel» Forums » Variants

Subject: Yet another draft variant idea... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've read the criticism that by some point in the third age it is possible to puzzle out who will win the game. This seems to especially be the case for early military, or science, victories.

Seems to me the easy fix for this is to have all the cards face down in the third (or even all) ages.

Wow, that's way too random and lucky you may say. But isn't life random and lucky, or unlucky as the case may be?

Anyway, this way you can't predict who will win an early victory. You have to deal with, and adapt to, ever changing circumstances. Which, I imagine, is what leaders of civilizations have to do in real life.

Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is easy to predict who will win the gamed in Age III because one player has played substantially better than the other, I am fine with knowing who is going to win. Rather it be that way than settled substantially by luck. That's my view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen it said too. But I am not convinced.

The other day I thought I had military victory in the bag. I could see the card I needed covered by a card she had to take. She took it. And built her last wonder. That gave her another turn. Guess what she did!

She had lots and lots of blue civic cards. So I was then resigned to my fate. It came down to civic points. And I won by one point. I would have sworn she had it looking at the cards. But the arithmetic disagreed.

Still an interesting concept. But I think it would take away the tension. It would no longer be possible to plan a strategy. Even if it doesn't work, it is a lot of the enjoyment for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:
I've seen it said too. But I am not convinced.

The other day I thought I had military victory in the bag. I could see the card I needed covered by a card she had to take. She took it. And built her last wonder. That gave her another turn. Guess what she did!

She had lots and lots of blue civic cards. So I was then resigned to my fate. It came down to civic points. And I won by one point. I would have sworn she had it looking at the cards. But the arithmetic disagreed.

Still an interesting concept. But I think it would take away the tension. It would no longer be possible to plan a strategy. Even if it doesn't work, it is a lot of the enjoyment for me.

I don't know if I agree with the criticism either, but then I haven't played the game enough to have a strong opinion.

I don't think this idea would take away the tension though. I think the tension would be heightened with the turn of every card, as players hope they get what they want/need, and that their opponents don't get what they need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximuss wrote:
So, I've read the criticism that by some point in the third age it is possible to puzzle out who will win the game. This seems to especially be the case for early military, or science, victories.

If this happens then someone has played badly and deserves to lose.

Experienced players will save a wonder card that alternates turns just for situations like this.

Maximuss wrote:
Seems to me the easy fix for this is to have all the cards face down in the third (or even all) ages.

I don't mean to seem harsh but this is a terrible idea.

This is the roll-and-move equivalent for a drafting game...grab a card and hope it works with your strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runcible Spoon wrote:
This is the roll-and-move equivalent for a drafting game.

Roll-and-move snob!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
Or get 7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximuss wrote:
Wow, that's way too random and lucky you may say. But isn't life random and lucky, or unlucky as the case may be?

I don't play a game like 7WD to try to realistically simulate life, so that kind of "let's make the game be more like real life" argument to justify a change to a strategy game has never seemed a very convincing argument to me, especially when it's used to justify making the game become extremely random. Why stop there? You could just flip a coin to see who wins! After all, isn't life often totally random like that?

PS: One could similarly argue for making the game last 30000 epochs with a million cards. Wow, that would last way too long and would take years to finish, you may say. But doesn't life last for years too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.