Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Democracy tech tile says:

"Gain 2VP for every 2 units on planets controlled by owner" (of this tech). How should I parse that sentence?

Here is my guess:
1. Determine which planets that player controls, i.e. has majority control.
2. On each of those planets, gain 2VP for every 2 units (rounded down), regardless who owns the units.

If the above is true, that's going to result in a huge number of points. Even if you're only supposed to count the owning player's units, that's still a lot of points. In my current 3-player game, one player controls 3 planets. He would score 26 points if counting units from all players, or 16 points from just his own units.

So, what is the right way to score this Tech tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Nettleton
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Democracy is crazy broken? (Epoch 3 Tech)
No comment on the post, but the post title seems to be a commentary on the current electionwhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I now realize that VP from Epoch III Tech tiles are calculated AFTER the Galactic War. For the owner of Democracy, that means he must survive the GW and still retain control of some planets to get any points from the Tech. So Democracy appears to be designed as a "high risk, high reward" tile.

By the end of my 3-player game, the player with Democracy controlled 3 planets entering the GW, and owned 2 planets after the GW was resolved. He lost control of 2 planets but gained control of 1 other. Counting just his units on those 2 planets, he had 11 units, which equaled 10 points. That's in line with most of the other Epoch III Tech tiles. Crisis averted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.