Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Boylan
United States
Morrisville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi, just making sure my wife and I played correctly. Rather than progressing the main goals of raising the temperature, O2, and oceans, we were really just playing cards for VP, claiming milestones, setting up ourselves for rewards, building lots of cities, etc etc etc.

Seeing how neither of us were really pressuring the other, we eventually were getting tons of credits each generation, along with several other resources. We were very close to running out of metallic cubes, and it was just two of us. We also had to reshuffle the discard pile, and the game went for well over 2 hours.

Now we were playing the first game ever, so we had a beginner corp. and had 10 cards in our opening hand.

It just felt that we spent sooo long creating our "engines" and then were so tired of paying ourselves that we decided it was time to start gaining VP by raising the O2 and Temp, and surrounding our cities with plant-life.

Did anyone else run into such a stall? It really felt like we terraformed mars for 15 minutes, and spend 120 minutes setting up spicy cards and such. Maybe I should play again to get a truer feeling, but it felt like there was zero pressure or motivation to achieve the main game goals. Regardless, it was super fun! Just felt odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time someone talks about nearly running out of cubes, you have to ask this basic question : "Were you both taking multiple actions each generation until you both didn't want to take any more? Or did you both just take one or two actions and then say that the generation is over?" The smart money says you were doing the second based on all of the other threads here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Boylan
United States
Morrisville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nope, Max of 2 actions per generation per player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
greenladdy wrote:
Nope, Max of 2 actions per generation per player.

Yep, so there's your problem. You both keep taking turns doing 1 or 2 actions. As soon as you feel like you are completely done taking actions, you pass, but the other players keep going. It not until everyone has decided to pass that the generation ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Spanish Fort
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to make threads "sticky" on BGG Forums? Because if there was ever a topic that should be stuck, it would be about how many actions you can do each generation.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Boylan
United States
Morrisville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OMG. So there are unlimited turns in each generation??!! Like I could've done two things, passed to my wife. She does two things, passes back to me. I do one thing, pass. She does 2, passes.

Wow. I obviously misread the rules. blush

THANK YOU FOR CLEARING THAT UP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. But remember that once one of you passes, that one can't come back to do anything else that generation. That's part of why you can do 1 or 2 actions. Some have asked why they'd ever choose to do only one action and one answer is because you're stalling and waiting for the other player to maybe raise the temperature, or go out or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Boylan
United States
Morrisville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That makes perfect sense now. We're here laughing that the game mercifully only took 3 hours. We could still be playing from last night!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
badge
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps we could add, as some games have, in the description a line reminding players of this. I have lost count how many topics I have entered with this issue cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J & N
msg tools
mb
greenladdy wrote:
OMG. So there are unlimited turns in each generation??!! Like I could've done two things, passed to my wife. She does two things, passes back to me. I do one thing, pass. She does 2, passes.

Also note that taking 1 action (instead of 2) is not the same as passing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
greenladdy wrote:

And very often taking one action instead of two is the better option so you are not forced to pass while the other players keep playing several turns without you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Larkin
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
greenladdy wrote:

And very often taking one action instead of two is the better option so you are not forced to pass while the other players keep playing several turns without you.

I'm not sure if I read you correctly, but I believe you might be missing something. Playing two actions does not force you to pass. The turn simply moves to a new player after two actions. The rules state two things about the action phase and passing: "Players take 1 or 2 actions each turn, or pass." and "If you take no action at all (pass), you are out of the round...". Never does it say that if you take 2 actions you "pass".

I can't tell if you think playing 2 actions forces you to pass or you were just saying that taking 1 action allows you to stall longer and see what others will do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
You read me incorrectly. If you take two turns every time you'll use up your actions for the generation quicker and that can be a bad thing. Often it's better to take one action and see what the others are doing and leave you room for reacting to their choices. If you're forced to pass early in a generation you do not have that option and their actions after you have passed could be pretty bad for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Larkin
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
You read me incorrectly. If you take two turns every time you'll use up your actions for the generation quicker and that can be a bad thing. Often it's better to take one action and see what the others are doing and leave you room for reacting to their choices. If you're forced to pass early in a generation you do not have that option and their actions after you have passed could be pretty bad for you.

Okay, just making sure. Seems a lot of people have been confused about passing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny Carrasco
United States
Safety Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordCyler wrote:
Tigrillo wrote:

Okay, just making sure. Seems a lot of people have been confused about passing.

I think he meant taking one action instead of passing is the better option...

I have done one sole action as a generation is winding down just to stay in the round and see if anyone would do something I could build off of. It usually didn't work because everyone else had burnt through their resources, but it's always worth a shot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.