Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my copy, unpacked it and was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of content in the boxes. I backed at the King level with no add-ons or expansions.

First thing that struck me as I looked through the miniatures - the level of quality varies, sometimes fairly wildly, across these miniatures. A quick look at the credits shows more than a dozen credited sculptors (with at least one being a studio rather than an individual). It shows; while some of the figures come close to Cool Mini or Not and Fantasy Flight's best efforts, many of them track more toward Descent 1.0 territory - not terrible by any means but also nothing amazing.

HOWEVER. There are like 200 miniatures in this box, including a bunch of sculpted scenery like chests, tables and skull piles that I had forgotten were included in the KS. And they do the job just fine. The artwork on everything else is fantastic and the boards are terrific.

I read through the rulebooks and didn't see many issues. It could be a little cleaner, and I would have appreciated an FFG-style Rules Reference for easy clarification, but overall I think it does a good job of presenting the core gameplay concepts and lets you get up and running pretty quickly.

Now, I do agree with a lot of what has been said about the skill text and spell cards. There's stuff there that can be open to interpretation and there are contradictory rules here and there in the scenario guides as well. It could have used another level or two of polish.

Still, after looking through the components again, I think that what Monolith has delivered here is really a Conan sandbox kit. There's the skeleton of a game system, probably more than that; it's got some meat on it, but there's a ton of unclaimed content here. There are hero sheets for the villains and monster tiles for the heroes. You can make up a scenario where the "heroes" are a band of bad guys who have joined forces to take down Conan and his friends. If you wanted to, you could run a game where every player is a different version of Conan and the goal is to fight to the center of the village and punch a camel with enough force to knock it down. You could easily homebrew PvP arena combat with what's included, and so much more. And if Monolith delivers on their promised app for scenario creation, I think this game will explode.

The one thing I would have appreciated out of the box, though, is a quick and easy guide for swapping out heroes in the provided scenarios. I'm already thinking of creating a list of basic gear from which any hero can pick two items and then running with it to see how it pans out.

Anyway, more thoughts after I get a few plays under my belt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here.
King's pledge no add-ons, received today.

I liked some minis, loved others, but the lion is ugly as f**k yuk. Oh, well, I can live with it.

I actually found the rulebook worse than I imagined, because not only it has the errors and omissions that we all know about (some not actually in the rulebbok itself, I know), but I found it badly organized, didn't like the rules separation (make it a rulebook and a scenario book like everyone else) and didn't even liked the font

That said, the game seems very straightforward and actually quite simple and you can certainly understand how the game is played, but it was a somewhat disappointing note.

I also do not like the excess of things out a reason to exist (at the moment), but let´s see how this develops in the near future.

Art is fantastic and i'm actually very eager to play this Saturday. Let´s see, let´s see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope the game plays out with my group as well as it played for me during a demo at GenCon. I thought the game was very fun. After MYTH, I think this one will be a cakewalk to decipher. Just saying.

Did you get any shipping notice prior to delivery?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dodge
United States
Highland
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDarkKnight wrote:

My question too. I have received no notice yet so I'm curious if those in the USA who have received it got a shipping notice first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Blood
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheDarkKnight wrote:
I hope the game plays out with my group as well as it played for me during a demo at GenCon. I thought the game was very fun. After MYTH, I think this one will be a cakewalk to decipher. Just saying.

I got an email from Ship Naked titled "Your Shipping Label Has Been Generated" on Oct 19th, with a tracking number in it. My box arrived Oct 24.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pkreynolds wrote:
Got my copy, -CLIP-

A quick look at the credits shows more than a dozen credited sculptors (with at least one being a studio rather than an individual). It shows; while some of the figures come close to Cool Mini or Not and Fantasy Flight's best efforts, many of them track more toward Descent 1.0 territory - not terrible by any means but also nothing amazing.

This is ok with me, it reminds me of the old school collector stuff, like Heavy Metal magazines, where each story has its own special style of artistic quality, sometimes good sometimes phenomenal.

pkreynolds wrote:
Still, after looking through the components again, I think that what Monolith has delivered here is really a Conan sandbox kit. There's the skeleton of a game system, probably more than that; it's got some meat on it, but there's a ton of unclaimed content here. There are hero sheets for the villains and monster tiles for the heroes. You can make up a scenario where the "heroes" are a band of bad guys who have joined forces to take down Conan and his friends. If you wanted to, you could run a game where every player is a different version of Conan and the goal is to fight to the center of the village and punch a camel with enough force to knock it down. You could easily homebrew PvP arena combat with what's included, and so much more. And if Monolith delivers on their promised app for scenario creation, I think this game will explode.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Makes me more excited for the game. As a dungeon master I like the ability to create my own scenarios for fun and adventure. It means there is much replayability with this game.

pkreynolds wrote:
Anyway, more thoughts after I get a few plays under my belt!

Thanks for the report, enjoy driving your enemies before you! By CROM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDarkKnight wrote:

I too was part of the Myth fiasco and, while many complain about the problems with Conan, it is still nothing compared with Myth!

The game does have problems, but they are the sort that can be easily fixed. The game itself is very fun and we are loving playing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
14cross wrote:
TheDarkKnight wrote:

My question too. I have received no notice yet so I'm curious if those in the USA who have received it got a shipping notice first.

I got an e-mail on Monday of this week saying that the game had shipped the previous Wednesday, and it showed up two days later. I'm kind of glad that I got the notification so late, because having to wait a whole week knowing that it was en route would have been a lot more agonizing than two days

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
CardboardAnt wrote:
TheDarkKnight wrote:

I too was part of the Myth fiasco and, while many complain about the problems with Conan, it is still nothing compared with Myth!

The game does have problems, but they are the sort that can be easily fixed. The game itself is very fun and we are loving playing it!

Conan is a working game with minor unclear questions.

Myth was a bunch of vague game mechanics. Even the setup was missing in the rulebook, let alone the mission handling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donato
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, many professional games we think are balanced were not balanced in their first editions.

How long is Games Workshop trying to make WFB and W40K balanced? Decades.

I've heard from an insider at GW that our beloved Warhammer Quest was hardly playtested for balance. The Judge Dredd RPG was not playtested at all.

For a first edition the rules for Conan are very good and very well balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
You guys are so lucky you already have the game. Here at down under, I wonder when our game will be arriving
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Lovejay
Canada
Vaudreuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Don't thread on me!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel Lin wrote:
You guys are so lucky you already have the game. Here at down under, I wonder when our game will be arriving

Don't worry, up above still hasn't received it yet! Backer shipment has not yet begun for Canadians, they are still moving the freight over... I guess we have too much snow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel Lin wrote:
I feel your pain. It has been estimated that shipping will not be complete here until mid-November.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.