Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more a question from a designer's perspective. I find the idea of having no cost on cards very interesting, I am trying to study how were the cards balanced to use the same technique in a game of mine.

If most game with cost, most of the time creatures get a certain amount of combat points according to their cost and then additional abilities substract combat points.

So I assume here, the strategy was the same, all cards that cost 1 had the same starting points, then they reduced the power of the creature if it had additional abilities. I tried to compare creatures with similar strength, and I can sometimes see similarities between the cards. Comparison between colors also seems to have similarities.

What is different from most cards games, it that you can almost only play 1 card per turn. So all cards are cool and powerful, but only 1 would be the most efficient for a specific situation. So each card must have a certain usefulness value in their design. Or sometimes you want to wait and play it in your opponent's turn.

I saw that certain abilities like "unbanishable" that is less likely to occur unless the opponent has the right cards, so possibly this ability cost is less expansive. For example the "Thundarus" has unbanishable and a boost to dragon, which has also less chances to occur, so I assume that those ability cost are lower than Airborne which is used in all battles.

The trickiest part is the spell, they each must have an equal power, but they must also worth casting instead of summoning a creature, which is by default an important sacrifice because you are not going to put more creature this turn. So the effect must be pretty strong to be worth playing a spell instead of a monster.

So the "card space", the fact you can only play 1-2 cards per turn make it somehow part of the cost. In a solo game I tested, I managed forcing my opponent to discard all his card which greatly helped increasing my chances of survial.

So in people have any insight about the card balanced in this costless card game, let me know. I am not aware of other games that does this. I remember "Emmerlaus" that had no cost, but in that case, cards really did not have similar strength, some where really more powerful than others which is not what I am looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
It's more a question from a designer's perspective. I find the idea of having no cost on cards very interesting, I am trying to study how were the cards balanced to use the same technique in a game of mine.

There is a cost of cards in Epic.
First it is binary ( 0 or 1) cost in gold.
Then it is card cost. Each card must be drawn before playing that means that either it is tempo draw( one card per player turn) or up tempo draw ( usually draw two cards casts 1 gold - so usually to gain a 1 card tempo you must pay a gold)
Third is opportunity cost - when placing particular card in the deck, the card takes place of another card. In Limited that means you drafted that card not another card. In constructed there is limited number of 0 cost cards, and you usually want have minimum deck size so slots are also limited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.