Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Waltier
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm visiting Japan, currently in Tokyo. I've looked at a lot of game stores in Japan, and I'm surprised by the lack of mecha miniatures for wargames. Lots of Warhammer, and lots of mecha models for display, but sadly nothing in the middle.

I'm looking for minis to use for Horizon Wars, which is a rule set for any 6mm or 1/285 scale sci-fi minis. Anything from semi-realistic-looking mecha like Dust or Battletech to anime-style space mecha like Robotech or Gundam, as long as it's that scale. Stuff that isn't designed for gaming is fine.

Does anyone have recommendations for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Closest I can get are the Gundam Gatchapon figurines. I use them for Robo Rally. You can usually find them in stores like… ehm… where do I find them again? Strange stores in Akihabara? They're like an inch tall, soft vinyl, but you'll have a hard time finding many of the same; they're not made for gaming, but simply as key-chains or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just barely smaller than 1/285 are the 1/288 Gundam model kits. They are mini-replicas of the models that started the Gundam boom in 1980. I think about 200 Yen each. You should be able to find them at most Yellow Submarine stores (the model part of the stores, not the gaming side). They look like this:
http://www.xl-shop.com/xlshop/pages/productDetails.asp?produ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies and… Read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wha…? Do stores in Japan not have access to Robotech RPG Tactics and all the first wave kits that came out for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
Wha…? Do stores in Japan not have access to Robotech RPG Tactics and all the first wave kits that came out for it?

I haven't seen it, but I saw it in the US. I've also heard nothing but bad things about those minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies and… Read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're model kits, certainly. More complex to put together than necessary for a game, yes. But they are what you're looking for in 1/285::6mm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Available in the US" and "everything I heard about them is bad" are basically the opposite of what I was looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.